Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I give up - whaddaya do?

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    Have you considered building some kind of muff clone, then tweaking it it taste? Worked for me. Ended up selling my pharaoh.
    Ill bet you can squeeze just the right sound out of a ramshead based unit with enough patience. You can fit muffs in the small hammond enclosure easy.
    Re; warm not raspy...replace the first two clipping diodes in the muff with LEDs.
    Also You only need to change the value of one cap also to control how much mid scoop you want. You can easily run a flat eq or even a mid boost with the value of this one capacitor.
    That sounds like a great idea that I would love to try eventually. Right now I'm in a hurry and have too many projects in the wings. I've decided against returning the P19 and will just work harder to dial it in as close as it will get to what I want.

Then I need to finish building two guitars and modifying another so I can get back to working on actual music!
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Check the video formula73 just posted of the EHX Bass BMP nano... Might fit your bill...
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
        Check the video formula73 just posted of the EHX Bass BMP nano... Might fit your bill...
        I will ... thanks, and I heard an awesome sounding Ram's Head clone(ish) fuzz on a YouTube video last night. I wish I could remember the name of it or the manufacturer. It's big selling point was that it used certain NOS transistors or something ...

I'll find it.

Toldja:

By the way, JHS has a Ram's Head clone that also sounds pretty good, but based upon the demos I prefer the Buffalo. That said, I have no clue how to buy the Buffalo from afar or what risks and expenses it might entail. Also, it is possible that the magical components are all gone.
        Last edited by Lazarus1140; 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I did the Ctrl-F for "Colour Box"...

No one mentioned it. Not once.

I'm ditching my pedal board. Well, the big bulky thing at least. I'm not a Brand Whore, but I was pretty sold on the Colour Box almost immediately. I was only searching for the HPF function...

From what I read and hear, it's capable of some heavy fuzz along with a tone stack and a HPF. It ain't cheap though.

If it's a craptastic pedal, I'll be their next fool in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by noobGuitarSlinger View Post

If it's a craptastic pedal, I'll be their next fool in a few days
            Let us know in a few days your assessment of whether it is fan or craptastic!

Comment

Dunno, dude. At that price, that's a lotta fool...

Comment

Funny thing is, pedal manufacturers could make you be able to try it out.

They make a web interface to switch between a couple instances of the same pedal which are at different settings (assuming the thing isn't programmable in the first place). They accept an audio stream and deliver one back. Sure they will be some delay, but you can play and there will be a recording of your play for you to evaluate later.

The major setting issue is first-stage input gain, but that's easy since gain is always programmable in this setup via the audio stream going to the pedal. So the setup would be able to adjust it even if the pedal is not programmable.

Comment

^ That's way over my head (which is no great feat), but that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it might actually cause a drop in sales, though. I mean, I have more than a few pedals I would not have purchased had I been given the opportunity to audition them first.

Comment

I think the software development costs to pull it off would make it prohibitively expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                      ^ That's way over my head (which is no great feat), but that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it might actually cause a drop in sales, though. I mean, I have more than a few pedals I would not have purchased had I been given the opportunity to audition them first.
                      I think most places accept returns on pedals, no?

Comment

I think the software development costs to pull it off would make it prohibitively expensive...
                        You would want to do that with an in-house enthusiast. If you bid it out to a contractor you get non-working **** for a lot of money.

Comment

Digital pedals would be easier - there's already sourcecode. Analog, and getting the emulation accurate? Not cheap. And that doesn't cover how you integrate it into a website. Flash development is going the way of the dodo, with HTML5 expanding.

On the other hand, they would also be able to convert it to VST plugin sales, sooo... *shrug*

Comment

Digital pedals would be easier - there's already sourcecode. Analog, and getting the emulation accurate? Not cheap. And that doesn't cover how you integrate it into a website. Flash development is going the way of the dodo, with HTML5 expanding.

On the other hand, they would also be able to convert it to VST plugin sales, sooo... *shrug*
                            I didn't mean emulation. I meant streaming through the actual pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              I didn't mean emulation. I meant streaming through the actual pedal.
                              Ummm, yeah, no. Servers don't generally have audio cards in 'em, for one. Second, you'd have to have an individual I/O for each pedal/user combination (can't run multiple people through the same pedal at the same time). And if you're a reasonably large company with a reasonably active fan base, that adds up to a *LOT* of soundcards and power for pedals in an environment where power's already on a budget and your temperature is closely monitored. And daisy-chaining effects? F$%^ No. I wouldn't want to wire that matrix, much less program it.

At one point earlier today, this website had 1076 people visiting it. Say half of them wanted to audition a pedal... 500 people * 7 pedals, plus power... No. Nope, not gonna do it.

The VST concept is much more realistic, but would still eat your server cpu cycles - you'd need to have clusters dedicated for it.

Comment

I don't think that writing a digital emulation would make sense either sound wise or business wise. That's instantly devaluing the physical product.

It might still be cheaper than accepting lots and lots of returns. You aren't comparing a pedal tryout to a page load. You are comparing a pedal tryout to mailing it out and maybe back.

Comment

Working...
                                X