banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about the Bogner Ecstasy Red vs Blue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about the Bogner Ecstasy Red vs Blue..

YES, I did a search..... However, Im at work and cant read all the content and cant find the one simple question I have....

I remember reading in some of the reviews that one of the pedals can pretty much cover everything the other can do and more, but I cant remember if its the Red or the Blue one? Im thinking the Red. Any assist? Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Quick question about the Bogner Ecstasy Red vs Blue..

Red is the higher gain so I assume that would be able to cover more ground than the blue since you can always turn down the gain but you can't add more when you're already on 10 with the blue.
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thats what I thought! Thank you! Man, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that black flame top build you did thats on your site!!! DA004... Love the blue DA002 also!!
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

there are sounds unique to both pedals, but as mentioned the red has higher gain that the blue could never approximate. i had both, ended up keeping the blue because i have too many high gain pedals as it is, and the blue maxed out has a really sweet smooth high gain tone i love.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I owned a blue for about a year. The responsiveness is great. With my new(est) rig (sans EP Booster) I couldn't get the gain from it I wanted so I traded it for a Red.
          My board in 2013
          My current board

Comment

Firebrand, big downsizing there!!

Yeah, I know the red is higher gain. Does it pretty much cover what the blue can do and then some? Or does the blue one offer a tone of it's own that cannot be duplicated?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

When they're set to approximately the same levels of gain, I found that the Blue was more open and responsive while the Red was more compressed.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I agree mostly with Agileguy_101. Red is more compressed and feels like it has more gain in on tap.

Comment

Keep in mind, both of these pedals excel on a big fat clean tube amp. If you have a gainy amp that just needs to be kicked up a notch, these Bogner pedals aren't for you.

One thing the Blue has going for it is it's ability to cop a vintage Marshall, from saggy and loose to tight and punchy, but it's still in Plexi to Bogner Shiva territory. The Red is where you get from a modern VH tone to DeMartini, Cantrell and Paul Gilbert. Sure, it can be dialed down in gain, but then it gets skinnier sounding than the Blue doing what it does best.

The truth is, owning both is a cool place to be. They're two gain machine pedals that can transform any clean platform into authentic Marshall/Bogner tones. They turn a clean tube amp into an authentic highgain amp better than anything I've tried. But into an already gainy amp, you're better off with simple cheap OD's like the MXR Classic OD, Soul Food, Tubescreamer, Boss SD-1 or something in that category.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                  X