Pedal shoot out: Empress Heavy vs Bogner Uberschall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal shoot out: Empress Heavy vs Bogner Uberschall

Been dying to get round to this for the past month or so, but didn't have the chance. Forum bro ArtieToo had a Bogner Uberschall pedal for sale and whilst I need another distortion pedal like I need another hole in my head, I was really intrigued to try it.

So, the Bogner arrived in good order, but work and illness prevented me from doing the head to head shootout. Since many forum bros do not have the opportunity to direct compare these two titans, I thought you might find my conclusions interesting.

As I was waiting for the chance to do this shoot out, I watched a few vids on Youtube, and I admit I was thinking the Uberschall would not do it for me: all of the demos sound absolute pants to my ears.

Today the Moment Of Truth finally arrived. Setup:

MIM '72 reissue Tele Thinline w R Cocco strings
    1Spot power supply
    Cables by Divine Noise
    VOX LNT w ECC83 in power stage and bright mod
    Early 70s Hiwatt 4x12 cabinet

The first thing you should know is that these pedals are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. There was no real way to get them close in terms of overall tone, so I just tried to get them to unity gain and the same general timbre.

EMPRESS HEAVY. To me, this is the Be All-End All of high gain distortion pedals. Just tonnes of EVERYTHING, this pedal does not do organic, nor does it do responsive. It is a high gain, high sustain, distortion MONSTER. At the bottom of its gain range, it sounds like an overdrive pedal into a solid state amp ... not very pretty to my ears. But from 8 o'clock on, the Heavy can do it all for metal tones. It is HIGHLY configurable with a tonne of knobs, switches, and noise gate options.

BOGNER UBERSCHALL. Based on the videos I saw, I was really expecting the Uberschall to be this OTT distortion pedal that would basically be the same as the Heavy, but harder and brighter sounding. I COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. The Uberschall is a lovely, amplike, character driven pedal that colours your tone is wonderful ways. I am pretty convinced that the output is bufferd, at least with the boost engaged, or there is an optical compression circuit in the boost. I also think that the EQ is either passive or has VERY little gain. It sounded most natural with the EQ dimed, but the natural voicing of the pedal is so mid forward, I rolled the mids back to 1 o'clock. [comparatively, I had the Heavy mids set to 500Hz and BOOSTED UP to the same point]

The Uberschall's overall tone reminded me very much of the Shiva, a kind of Marshallesque saturation that really wants to be wound up to sound its best. And that proved to be the case: if you want to get to the high gain goods here, be prepared to go WAY beyond unity gain and have your amp COOKING before engaging. If you engage the boost, crank the volume and gain, and compensate by turning your amp down, it will sound anaemic as all get-out. HOWEVER, at this end of the range, whilst sounding different from the Heavy, to my ears, it did not sound BETTER...

So, after much back and forth'ing, it became evident to me that the Uberschall, when not pushed to its limits, is a BRILLIANT preamp/boost/character/saturation pedal. It is not only the 'supa br00talz' pedal the marketing hype leads you to believe. The Heavy leaves the Uber booby trapped and waxed in that department. Sorry, Bogner fan boys, simple fact.

BUT WHICH ONE IS BETTER?!?! Neither, they are both great. The Uber is more versatile overall. The Heavy has more gain, sounds better at high gain, and has more versatility within that spectrum. For saturated crunch to old Priest or Maiden, look to the Uber. For Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, any modern or death metal? Heavy would be my first port of call.

WHICH DID I PREFER? My personal favourite setting? BOTH!
    On either the Heavy or Heavier side of the Heavy, with the gain cranked, I LOVED the sound of the Heavy running into the Uberschall with the Boost engaged. It transformed my tone from sounding like a SS distortion pedal into a clean valve amp to sounding like an all valve gain MONSTER.

The Uberschall's colouration and sag combined with the Heavy's utra-precise distortion sounds ... pretty much what you would expect a $600 combination to sound like.

I am greatly looking forward to trying this combination with my boost pedals, in particular the SHO and Bogner Harlow ...
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-04-2015, 05:13 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Pedal shoot out: Empress Heavy vs Bogner Uberschall

Comment

Soundclip coming soon...

Comment

Here is the sound clip. Recorded from 12" away with a Tascam DR1. LNT was set to breakup. Measured at 85dB (A weighted, slow) from 12" away.

Comment

Hmmm, empress heavy + bogner boost sounded best to me

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
            Hmmm, empress heavy + bogner boost sounded best to me
            Me, too!

Pedal and amp settings:

Comment

The Uberschall's EQ is actually active, and both the middle and bass controls are VERY sensitive on it. I find this to be less apparent on amps like the Vox Night Train, because those amps in general don't have really much variation from using the amp's EQ controls, and the sound is already mid-pushed with heavily rolled off lows compared to a more modern amp.

Also, the output impedance is low when the pedal's "on" is engaged. However, the pedal is true bypassed when the "on" switch is not engaged. The boost function does absolutely nothing unless the "on" switch is engaged - everything is still bypassed. The purpose of being able to hit the boost switch while the pedal is off, is so that your boost is pre-armed. Meaning, you can go straight from your bypassed sound to your boosted sound by just hitting the "on" switch.

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

But it definitley changes the tone with the boost on. Wonder why that is if it isn't active and true bypass, as you state.

Comment

Can you tell me if these are distortion pedals, or overdrive pedals, or are the lines blurred.
                  I own the Out f Production Duncan Power Grid, and if I am not mistaken, it's Duncans ultimate foray into' high gain' territory so far, except I don't know too much about the Dirty Deeds. Based on your reviews, do want the Uber! excallent revies , thanks.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    Can you tell me if these are distortion pedals, or overdrive pedals, or are the lines blurred.
                    I own the Out f Production Duncan Power Grid, and if I am not mistaken, it's Duncans ultimate foray into' high gain' territory so far, except I don't know too much about the Dirty Deeds. Based on your reviews, do want the Uber! excallent revies , thanks.
                    They are both most definitely distortion pedals!

Comment

Nice clip Ben.

AFAIC to just listen to a clip, the Uber kicks the empress' butt for my tastes. The empress sounds very woofy/muddy in the low mids and has no high mids like the Uber does. THAT SAID- in a mix, I'm sure this would sound much better.

My Bogner Blue was an amazing Pedal. It was far beyond other booteek "marshall in a box" pedals I have owned. I sold it, and frankly wish I had not. I would buy another for sure. Its THAT good.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If it changes the tone while off and the boost is on, then something is wrong. I just took a multimeter to my Uberschall pedal and the guitar's signal was unaffected unless the pedal was on.

Comment

Also, I love the Bogner pedals. I have the Blue and the Uber, and I'm looking at snatching up a Red for $150. If I do, I'll have all three Bogner preamp pedals having spent $445.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this TO! Can't wait to hear the clips.
                            My proud canadian side has always been impressed with Emperess' pedals and I've never played a bogner...

Comment

Try a Bogner preamp pedal. They're all awesome, and (on a clean neutral sounding amp) can get you closer to the Bogner sound without having to shell out for the full amps (which I'll probably do one day). I think I love the Bogner pedals as much as Jolly loves his Blackouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X