X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allstarrme
    replied
    Re: Pedal shoot out: Empress Heavy vs Bogner Uberschall

I have the uberschall and the xtc red, the red has more gain than the uberschall, the voicing is different though.

I want to know how the Duncan palladium gain stage compares to these.

Leave a comment:

• BluesGuyJ2
    replied

if this makes sense, I see this pedal pleasing a lot of the new pop/rock country guitar players out there for that medium hard crunch.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ2 View Post
    I have the Ubershall as well. It doesn't really get high gain until you wind the gain up to 8 or so. Hitting the boost, and keeping the level down, send it into metal land and shred. It's actually a great sounding mid gain distortion pedal. In general, I have found it to have a very broad voice, but with a good bit of top end and high upper mids. The tone controls really shape it and the traditional approach of putting everything at noon doesn't totally translate. I'd like to get my hands ona La Grange, or a Red... those seem to have a cool thing going on as well.
    I totally agree.

I recorded my last album using the Heavy and the Uberschall but ended up selling the Heavy on because I never used it outside of that album. The Uberschall, because of its versatility, gets pressed into service on a fairly regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• BluesGuyJ2
    replied

I have the Ubershall as well. It doesn't really get high gain until you wind the gain up to 8 or so. Hitting the boost, and keeping the level down, send it into metal land and shred. It's actually a great sounding mid gain distortion pedal. In general, I have found it to have a very broad voice, but with a good bit of top end and high upper mids. The tone controls really shape it and the traditional approach of putting everything at noon doesn't totally translate. I'd like to get my hands ona La Grange, or a Red... those seem to have a cool thing going on as well.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

Most guys use too much gain. The Ubet pedal has more than you would ever need. It does a deep brutal Ubet tone if needed. The Bogner..Red...is more gainy.

Leave a comment:

• SirChris
    replied

I've been wanting to pick up the Uber pedal and run it into my Mesa Triple Rect clean channel just to see how close it'll sound to the real thing.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    replied

For me, the Bogner pedals would be for an awesome live rig. You can set the amp for a really clean sound, and have varying levels/colors of dirt, with the ability to boost the volume, gain, or both.

I also think that to get the most use out of the Uberschall pedal, you need an amp that will really compliment it. IME, the Vox Night Train is not the amp to take full advantage of the Uberschall pedal - the NT lack the headroom and low end for it. The Uberschall really shines on a clean amp with lots of low end.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

The Uberschall is an interesting pedal, because it sounds good along it's entire range from medium gain to highgain....but if you're not into it's particular sound, you're better off with a blue or red.

I have the three Bogner pedals....red/blue/uber. They all do exactly what they're advertised to do, and they do it better than pretty much everything else I've tried. I think of them as the blue for classic rock, the red for modded Marshall highgain, and the Uber for modern chunkola.

The funny thing is that I don't have much use for them as gigging pedals, because I usually use amps that have all those tones, and only need neutral boosts, which is not what Bogner pedals do. The Bogner pedals are like preamps for a clean amp. I usually use amp gain, with something like a Klon or Tube Screamer set low to add punch.

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    replied

Try a Bogner preamp pedal. They're all awesome, and (on a clean neutral sounding amp) can get you closer to the Bogner sound without having to shell out for the full amps (which I'll probably do one day). I think I love the Bogner pedals as much as Jolly loves his Blackouts.

Leave a comment:

• Surgeon
    replied

Thanks a lot for this TO! Can't wait to hear the clips.
    My proud canadian side has always been impressed with Emperess' pedals and I've never played a bogner...

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    replied

Also, I love the Bogner pedals. I have the Blue and the Uber, and I'm looking at snatching up a Red for $150. If I do, I'll have all three Bogner preamp pedals having spent $445.

Leave a comment:

• Myaccount876
    replied

If it changes the tone while off and the boost is on, then something is wrong. I just took a multimeter to my Uberschall pedal and the guitar's signal was unaffected unless the pedal was on.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Nice clip Ben.

AFAIC to just listen to a clip, the Uber kicks the empress' butt for my tastes. The empress sounds very woofy/muddy in the low mids and has no high mids like the Uber does. THAT SAID- in a mix, I'm sure this would sound much better.

My Bogner Blue was an amazing Pedal. It was far beyond other booteek "marshall in a box" pedals I have owned. I sold it, and frankly wish I had not. I would buy another for sure. Its THAT good.

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Can you tell me if these are distortion pedals, or overdrive pedals, or are the lines blurred.
    I own the Out f Production Duncan Power Grid, and if I am not mistaken, it's Duncans ultimate foray into' high gain' territory so far, except I don't know too much about the Dirty Deeds. Based on your reviews, do want the Uber! excallent revies , thanks.
    They are both most definitely distortion pedals!

Leave a comment:

• MetalManiac
    replied

Can you tell me if these are distortion pedals, or overdrive pedals, or are the lines blurred.
    I own the Out f Production Duncan Power Grid, and if I am not mistaken, it's Duncans ultimate foray into' high gain' territory so far, except I don't know too much about the Dirty Deeds. Based on your reviews, do want the Uber! excallent revies , thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X