What's the consensus on AMT pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the consensus on AMT pedals?

Anyone have experience with any of AMT's products?

I'm mainly looking at their P1/P2 (Peavey 5150/6505) and M1/M2 (Marshall JCM800) pedals, but I see they offer a pretty broad range of products, including a 50W amp and some interesting rackmount preamps.

The reviews for the P-series pedals seem very positive and I thought the M-series sounded quite usable from the various clips I heard. Any others?

I'm currently lusting for a Mesa 5:50 Express Plus head (still need to save up for that one), but I would like access to a realistic 5150/6505 type sound and a classic Marshall-esque tone is a must I just don't have room for a bunch of amps and heads right now, so I was thinking, with a couple of these AMTs mated to the Mesa Express Plus head, I could pretty much do it all.

Thoughts?

I know I could do a multi-effects, but I quickly lose patience when it comes to tweaking and programming them.

Re: What's the consensus on AMT pedals?

Not tried the amt pedals you mention. I think mesa makes drive pedals that are supposed to sound like their amps, wampler might be making something along those lines to go in front of the amp too. Tech 21 has the character series stuff, joyo makes clones of those but they are alot more noisy than the originals at higher drive settings.

I don't think you need to go mfx route these days, since there plenty aalternative but if you do need to get a multifx then the low budget options aren't renowned for high gains much.

Comment

Line 6 AM-4 pedal.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

I have the AMT Stonehead 50 watt head, Reverberry pedal, Japanese Girl mini wah, SS-20 tube preamp, D2 FET preamp, Chameleon Cab simulator, and will probably pick up more of their stuff next year. All of it top notch and support is great from them.

I have never played a real Diesel, so can't tell you how close it gets, but the D2 is an awesome preamp. Preamps sound best going into fx return on a tube amp. I run mine into the fx return on my Peavey VK II 20mh. Each of the legend series 2 preamps gives both clean and dirt channels.
        Reports on the P2 around youtube and internet are very good.

The big surprise for me on the D2 preamp was keeping gain down to about 2 and nudging the mid eq up a little past 12:00 gave me a very good plexi-ish classic rock tone.
        Last edited by Wormhelmet; 07-27-2015, 01:20 PM.
        Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
        Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
        Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

I had the DU HAST. It was very good. It definitely worked better as a pre-amp into the effects loop as opposed to before the amp's pre (like an overdrive). It still sounded good before the amp, but way better in the loop. It also worked great straight into a mixer. I knew it was something I would never use live so I let it go. Build quality and reliability were excellent.
          "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

I have no experience with them, but their mini volume and expression (or volume/expression/wah) pedals pique my interest. I need to get a measuring tape out and see what I could fit on my board.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Haven't tried the M_ yet, but I've tried most of the others and currently have an E1, B1, P2, and D2. I'll probably get an M_, S_, and R_ in the future.

They do what they're supposed to do, and have plenty of gain. Most pedals make that claim and they're full of s__t. If they're not capable of death metal, then they don't have enough gain. Mesa, Wampler, and the like fall into that category. They all stop at 80s rock.

Also, stay away from the digital stuff. Very few companies make products that sound convincing in a "live" setting, and you'll pay big bucks for them.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Wow, those are some pretty encouraging responses so far!

DrNewcenstein - I looked up the Line 6 AM4, but I really wasn't impressed by any of the clips and videos I found. Do you have any experience with the AMT pedals that you can compare it to?

Dominus - How are you running these? As a preamp or as an effect?

Can anyone else elaborate on their opinions of the P-series and/or M-series pedals specifically?

Comment

I'm using them all as preamps. Guitar with neck pickup and bridge pickup wired to a stereo jack for two outputs out to two separate overdrive pedals (Joyo Sweet Baby and a BiYang TS), each of those into a splitter, E1 and P2 off the bridge pickup, B1 and D2 off the neck. (I actually have a P-Drive as well as the P2. It's one of my faves of the line, although the S_ is really good too.) Pedals go into the computer where power amp sims and cabinet IRs are added, signals are panned and some delay added to two of the tracks giving me a nice wall of sound.

I'm really tempted to grab an M_ pedal, I think I have a rat clone to use with it, see if I can get some of those early 80s thrash tones.

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I only have experience with the "Japanese Girl Wah", that I just scored from forum bro Trey, but it's absolutely the most fun I've had with any gear to date. I can't stop playing this thing. Rock solid construction. I want to try out some of their other stuff now.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                      I actually have a P-Drive as well as the P2
                      What's the difference between these? Is the P-Drive essentially an "effect" pedal vs. a preamp?

Comment

The drive models are meant to be used as distortion pedals, but I still use it as a preamp. (You can use any distortion or overdrive as a preamp.) It has a voice switch and a tone knob rather than bass/mid/treble knobs.

Twitter:
                        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I have several amt pedals. The M1, P1, F1, R1, E1, V1 and D2. I'm no tube amp guru but I feel that these pedals do an excellent job at sounding LIKE the real thing. I only use the pedals as preamps only. The main thing you need to remember is to run them at 12 volts otherwise they will sound thin and also with a switching style power adapter, I do not recommend a transformer style power adapter, you will get humming issues. I got say with the V1 I can get a real heavy gritty drive tone that to me screams 70 rock. Also absolutly love the R1 and D2. I can get a good Tool tone with the D2. When I get some extra money I'm going to get the O2 pedal along with the japanese wah and reverberry oh and the HR-1 heater pedal.
                          There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
                          Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
                          Boss GT-10
                          Rocktron Velocity 300
                          Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
                          Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
                          AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

I have the AMT SS-20 preamp and really like it (so that I am selling like previous 3 pedals I had that are just getting dust and my Roland Cube too), I am specially happy with the clean and crunch channel for any classic rock, the lead is super powerfull and lot of people use it for heavy metal (I think it complies with needs as told by Dominus) but I am still GASing for either the P2 or S2, the demos in the internet make them sound to a point I cannot hear any difference against the real amps. I use my preamp direct into PA when playing with my friends band or into recording interface, I also have a ISP Stealth Power Amp and I am just missing to buy a cab.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

I love my SS-20! I also plan on some new legend series II's. Hopefully the P2, B2, O2, Vt2.

Not getting as much use these days with my SS-20 and D2 into my Peavey in my bedroom. I plug preamps into fx return and use that EL84 power section with my preamps. The less use part is only because of location. Most of the time I'm jammin in my living room through my AMT Stonehead or Mahaffay Plexi head into the 2/12 cab. Need to rearrange things and get another 2/12, but waiting on November to buy a couple new Mahaffay 2/12's with G12 century's. Then I need to grab the AMT routing pedal they have. The AMT Stonehead is my most versatile amp.

Well, you guys know how it goes with multiple cool amps or preamps. Its the musical chairs thing with the tones. I always have good tones now though.
                              Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
                              Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
                              Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Working...
                              X