Budget tweed pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget tweed pedal?

I've really become hooked on the tweed channel of my Mesa Roadster and was wondering if there was a decent tweed pedal on the market that could be found for a lot less than the Les Lius or Tweed '57. I'd like to have something on my board that I could use with my HRD to get similar tones.
    Thanks

Re: Budget tweed pedal?

See if you can find a Way Huge Red Llama or Kaden Flamingo Fuzz. (Both clones of the original Way Huge)
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I use a Joyo Sweet Baby for my tweedy sounds. I really like it, and you can't beat the price.
      Go Packers!

Comment

Doesn't Boss have one?

Comment

While I really like JOYO's Sweet Baby, it doesn't sound 'tweedy' to my ear. JOYO's American Sound is very inexpensive and definitely does the tweed thing....it's <$40 too, but can be a bit noisy (hiss). Then again the tweed circuit itself can be a bit noisy as well.

In Europe, it's marketed by Harley Benton and it sounds like this.
          Get them in the US @ Amazon.

Beyond that, the Boss FBM-1 is about the least expensive one I can think of.
          Last edited by IM4Tone; 08-09-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

having owned a les lius and the other tweed clone thing lovepedal call the "high power tweed twin" and a plethora of other vintage sounding boutique overdrives as well as building a few of my own, i can pretty safely say that none of them sound like a 5e3 or any other tweed amp. That is not to say they don't sound good, just that they sound like an overdrive pedal running into whatever amp you are using at the time, rather than magically transforming your amp into something that it is not. Pedals sound like pedals, our amps sound like our amps. Our imagination really fills in the gaps and the rest is just packaging.
            What this means in the real world is that you can get just as good a result using a regular tube screamer or super overdrive and a bit of imagination. So the good news is that there are a bazillion cheap options that can sound really great.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I really like my Movall Hornet. It's great for surf sounds. Although, like a lot of small pedals, it's good to put either some white paint or whiteout on the knobs, in the little notches, to make them more visible.

"Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
              - Marilyn Manson

Comment

i agree with gibby175, ive tried the tweed pedals from a few manufacturers and none of them really come close to a 5e3, 5e7 or 5f6. if you find a pedal you like with your amp, then use it. ive never heard the tweed mode on the mesa roadster so have no idea how it stacks up to a real fender tweed tone, i can only comment on what the amps sound like vs pedals.

Comment

I have the Joyo American pedal

straight into a powered speaker with eyes closed it has a
                  Fendery tone no doubt

there I said it
                  whewww! I feel better
                  you?
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The TWEED mode of Channel One in my Mark V is a favorite of mine too. To my ear, the Wampler didn't come close. I'd like to try a Tech 21 Blonde pedal for that tone. And you might have some luck with some of the low-gain Marshall-In-A-Box pedals. Early Marshall circuits were allegedly based on the Tweed Bassman.

And if you find a pedal that works for you, be sure to let me know.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

yes the first marshalls were very very similar to the 5f6 bassmans. they sound different for a variety of reasons but the transformers, tubes and speakers had a lot do to with it. something that is supposed to get a jtm45 tone might be similar to a tweed tone. i still say you wont find a real tweed sound in a pedal but, again, i havent played the tweed setting on a mesa in forever so cant recommend how to get that tone

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        And if you find a pedal that works for you, be sure to let me know.

Bill
                        I was hoping to skip the expense and time of trying a bunch of stuff, but it looks like that's what I'm stuck with at this point. Oh well, life could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          I was hoping to skip the expense and time of trying a bunch of stuff, but it looks like that's what I'm stuck with at this point. Oh well, life could be worse.
                          Yeah, consensus is nearly impossible to find on internet forums such as these. Opinions vary with taste and application. At least, there are suggestions on ones to try. YouTube videos are helpful, but not the final answer either. Nothing beats a trial. Good Luck!

Comment

I starting playing around with pedals that I haven't used in a while and my old Zen clone does a decent job for the tones I was looking to cover. It does the gritty, yet articulate thing really well.

Comment

You can get a used Catalinbread Formula Five for under $100. I have a Chicago Stompbox Red Llama that is tweedish. Great pedal and company.
                              "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                              X