NPD: Whirlwind Orange Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Whirlwind Orange Box

Last week I scored a Whirlwind Orange Box for cheap on eBay. It arrived on Friday and I had a chance to get it on the pedalboard and play with it yesterday. I've had my share of MXR Phase 90's, but I have to say that without shelling out coin to get a true vintage Phase 90, this is it. The sound is amazing. It's not overpowering like the modern block logo can be. It's a nice balance. Components on the board are the traditional thru-hole components, not SMT, and the board is even wrapped in a nice cloth similar to the originals. For those that don't know, the guys at Whirlwind started MXR back in the day.

Here's my revised pedalboard.

Last edited by ErikH; 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM.

Re: NPD: Whirlwind Orange Box

Yep, love mine too. Awesome pedal, congrats.

Comment

a few friends have them and they are really nice sounding pedals

Comment

Those are AWESOME pedals….
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And I'm digging the "CUisinart" pedal board. Bet it really helps the sound cut through….
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yep - if you want a new MXR Phase 90... but want it to sound like the script logo originals (used by Ed, for ex.), get one of these.

Comment

I'd been through all the mxr modern stuff trying to find one that sounds like the old script logo I used in the 80s...tried the new block, evh, 74ri. The 74 wasnt bad, but the Orange Box was it. And its troobypass, has an led, and 9v wallwart power. Win.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have a RI '74 Script that I true-bypassed, but didn't add an LED so it still has "the look". I'd be interested to compare the Orange Box.

I've been on a Bowie kick lately, and listened a lot to the "David Live" album. Earl Slick played an SG into a Phase 90 into a Marshall 1/2 stack and left the Phase 90 on for pretty much the whole show. Love that sound!
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

The added features of an LED, DC jack and true bypass are great. I'm not one to get only true bypass pedals, and it's not a major selling point for me, but there a few pedals that need it. The Phase 90's I had before needed it badly. I'd done the TB mods and even added an internal buffer at one point. I'm glad I don't have to do anything to this one. It's perfect right out of the box.

The other thing I forgot to mention, with other phasers it seemed to thin out the sound a bit. Not the case here.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  And I'm digging the "CUisinart" pedal board. Bet it really helps the sound cut through….
                  Hmm, I probably should be using pedals like the Pork Loin and Swollen Pickle on this board.

It was a complete accident that I did this. I was using a small black shelf piece for a pedalboard when I stumbled across this while the wife and I were out and about.

Comment

Working...
                  X