X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a high end fuzz face clone

if i want big muff, i can go with pete cornish
    if i want tonebender, i can go with d*a*m
    so what about fuzz face?i have sun face and vemuram 4k,it there any better?

Re: looking for a high end fuzz face clone

Originally posted by jamie_eyp View Post
    i have sun face
    job done
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Analogman and vintage Fulltone are pretty darn good in my book...

Also, these circuits and components are ultra simple and cheap. All you are lookin for is transistors in the correct gain range and a proper bias on each.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a Pharo, I think that's how you spell it. It's a high end fuzz tone. I don't have a use for it. Youwant it you can have it for $75 dollars.

Comment

I don't think you can do better than a Sunface, but you can try the SolidGoldFX if 6 was 9 if you want the added versatility of a bias knob and tone switch. It uses silicon transistors so it will have a different feel and sound than your Sunface.
          "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Also, these circuits and components are ultra simple and cheap. All you are lookin for is transistors in the correct gain range and a proper bias on each.

You say it like its easy...but really its not. The simplicity of the fuzz face circuit makes it highlight usually in a very negative way if you have any component that is a bit off. Most of what makes a good sunface clone isnt just choosing the right values but also testing and ensuring consistency.

This is where the likes of companies like analogman really shine. They toss out tons of parts that just dont pass muster.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              You say it like its easy...but really its not. The simplicity of the fuzz face circuit makes it highlight usually in a very negative way if you have any component that is a bit off. Most of what makes a good sunface clone isnt just choosing the right values but also testing and ensuring consistency.

This is where the likes of companies like analogman really shine. They toss out tons of parts that just dont pass muster.
              Oh, I know. I think we've discussed this before. It's not like some people have the secret schematic or part value. We all know what they are. It's simply a matter of finding transistors that sound good in the circuit, in the correct gain range and biasing them "correctly". I agree that none of those processes are easy. They are simple but not easy. And you are right, that's why the smaller companies can take the time to hand pick through 50 year old components and batch sort to get the best ones. It's also why $5 of parts costs $150+ in completed form.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Which sunface do you have? There are lots or variations. I love my red dot but it's not for every one

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  Which sunface do you have? There are lots or variations. I love my red dot but it's not for every one
                  Good question. I just assumed it was the NKT275.
                  "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by Hecubus View Post
                    Good question. I just assumed it was the NKT275.
                    Even among those there is some variation. I have white dot NKT275's, I compared them once to a friends red dot and they are a bit different the red dots have like a cool haziness to the sound that i really liked for single note lines but my white dots were better at not mushing out on strange intervals when doing chords.

That said I actually use my peppermint fuzz more. The sunface is great with a very specific guitar and set up. It hates high output pickups and likes brighter amps.

My peppermint fuzz doesnt mind humbuckers can get way dirtier and can do a kind of harsh buzzy satisfaction sound. My sunface wont do it. It actually fairly low gain. The guitar is normally use it with is a MIJ 62 reissue strat that has CS 69's in it and turning the volume knob from 10 to 6 will clean up the sound completely and then the fuzz is just shaping the signal not clipping it. Its a cool sound too just harder to work with.

Sorry for the random fuzz thoughts...
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

analog man makes a bunch of different sun face models. three different nkt (red, white, and high gain white) plus other germanium and a bunch of silicon models

Comment

I did some work on the 65 Amps Colour Face. It's a good box. Fantastic components.

Comment

The Tech 21 Boost Fuzz Analog Fuzz Guitar Effects Pedal is the SDOTD for $79 today. I am tempted to pull the trigger on one myself.

Comment

it's red dot too
                            it's not bad,but i'm thinking there any better than this at the world?
                            i think white dot sunface is overpriced now

Comment

the red dot is big and wooly, the white dot is tighter and brighter. what guitar and amp are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X