NPD: Local content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Local content

Well, tastes change, and while I love my RAT, I felt like I needed something less compressed and sweeter in response. The obvious answer was a local brand I like and trust... of course, I bought this red pedal second-hand due to practical reasons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11998485_951078744914664_2047031948_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	5838571

I'll have clips later, but I'll give a short written review of it:

The Moo Kalei Red Distortion is one of the three signature distortion pedals of the local guitar Mr. Moo. He worked in collaboration with Shark to make a dirt pedal based on the tones he had back when he used an ADA MP1. It's a really meaty, middy pedal that sounds quite nice, sustains great, and is not too shrill nor too dark.
    There are four controls: level, gain, color, and tone.
    - Level controls the output, and as expected of Shark Effects, the pedal is freakin' loud. The settings in the pic is slightly above unity, and about as much as I'd use in a band mix.
    - Gain controls the clipping, which goes from warm overdrive to howling fuzz
    - The Tone control is probably a passive tone, as there isn't much change after 12 o'clock, and it doesn't take care of all the high frequencies.
    - Color controls a certain frequency, and changes the character of the pedal. Counter-clockwise, the pedal gets smooth and round, clockwise and the pedal gets barky and aggressive.

And what I REALLY love about this pedal is that it isn't picky or particular about which guitar or amp it's used with. It's also good in live situations, but I haven't used it there yet.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Re: NPD: Local content

Sweet!
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

It's getting dark, so I can't play as loud as I'd like. Here's a review I found on youtube
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Oh man, I love discovering new pedals I don't know about! Congrats!
        Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks. Shark has a LOT of dirt pedals, and I find this one quite nice and it fits on my board. There's another pedal that's awesome, but it's a bit too big.

Comment

Now here's a quick recording I made on my phone. Not very representative, but a bit better than nothing.

Comment

Dude, I like it!
              Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                Dude, I like it!
                And here's another short video I made. It's the solo of The Final Countdown. Got home late, so again it's not as loud as I'd like... Will be able to record loud on Monday, I guess.

Last edited by Archer250; 09-10-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Cool looking pedals are they readily available in Bangkok? and cost? I have friends there and go occasionally on holiday looks like something worth checking out. I noticed there are a few effects brands in thailand that make some cool stuff.
                  Gondola Kid
                  Bandcamp
                  Facebook
                  JimijaymesGuitarist
                  Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                    Cool looking pedals are they readily available in Bangkok? and cost? I have friends there and go occasionally on holiday looks like something worth checking out. I noticed there are a few effects brands in thailand that make some cool stuff.
                    They're always available in Bangkok, especially if you go to their HQ at Ratchatewi. They're pretty affordable. This one, for instance is about $77 new. Other brands deserve mention, too, though. There are a good number luthiers and pedal makers here that are really really good (and sometimes not just for the money) stuff. I mean, I know a guy who makes handwired Plexi (and JCM 800) clones with Sozo caps (and cool red trannies) for around 700 bucks. I know a guy who builds guitars that kill axes thrice their price in tone and playability from 700-1000 bucks, etc.

Word of warning, though: While I've never played a Shark effect that didn't sound good, I must admit among big-name local brands, they have the worst (but never too bad) QC and build quality. Sometimes, they wire the battery hookup wires wrong, but usually nothing more serious.

They also showcase their pedals on a bad-sounding Peavey Bandit combo... IIRC, it was part of their philosophy that "if it sounds good through this amp, it will sound good through anything", which, while true, doesn't really encourage potential buyers much. Their dirtboxes sometimes have bright switches with fancy names. Don't be fooled; they're just bright switches.

There's a dealer at Fortune Mall who sells Shark effects along with CMATMODS, Wampler, and a few Thai brands like Rock Service (which I also recommend checking out). Their equipment is great, and you can easily A/B the effects with pedals you may already know.
                    Last edited by Archer250; 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                      And here's another short video I made. It's the solo of The Final Countdown. Got home late, so again it's not as loud as I'd like... Will be able to record loud on Monday, I guess.

Impressive! Good tone and great playing!
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                        Impressive! Good tone and great playing!
                        hey thanks! What I also REALLY love about this pedal is that it blends very well with my main overdrive (which is also a Shark Moo Kalei signature) in character, and that it cleans up REALLY well. I could play a song with varying levels of gain, like from slight breakup to all-out rock with this pedal. Hell, I've been practising Electric Gypsy for a band audition, and the only reason I use an overdrive as opposed to this pedal alone is that I'm not that good at playing the volume knob.

Comment

Working...
                        X