#2 Pedalboard: Overkill or Uber-Cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 Pedalboard: Overkill or Uber-Cool?

I'm putting together a second pedalboard, to be used along with my Muchxs BF Champ clone to play surf/instro music at home for fun. I intended it to be minimal - just reverb and tremolo to provide those surf must-haves that the Champ doesn't - but it ended up being a sort of "stone soup" of freebie spare pedals. It's now up to five pedals: StroboStomp tuner, DIY Fuzzrite clone, Soul Food, FRV-1 Reverb, and BYOC Tremolo, all powered by a OneSpot daisy chain.

All that clutter needs something to keep it together and organized. In keeping with the "freebie" theme (and to get it the hell out of his house) my buddy sent me his unused Pedaltrain PT-2 with hard case. Nice board, but I think it's a bit too large for my needs. Also, I had another idea about re-purposing unused junk. So, I ask you...

Overkill?

Or Uber-Cool?

Do you perhaps detect a small bias in my presentation of this important question?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: #2 Pedalboard: Overkill or Uber-Cool?

Love it!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Do you have any issue with the jacks on the Peterson? I retired mine because of them.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I like uber-cool!

Red the Strobo - I loved mine and the jacks weren't an issue as it was permanently on my board. The problem was the loud popping of the footswitch so I got a turbo. However, I still preferred using the Strobo and wish it had been better built.

Comment

I'm using the Strobo because it was free; a buddy gave me two of them when the whole "poly" craze hit the tuner market a couple years ago. I use one stand-alone for setting intonation. I've read some stuff on the web about reliability of its switch and jacks. I'll definitely put a pair of master in/out jacks on the pedalboard so that the tuner has a permanent connection that I don't have to plug and unplug all the time. Since this board will mostly be used at home, I don't expect problems.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

I've always liked the look of skateboard or skimboard decks as pedalboards, especially for surf or skate punk bands.

I don't see any overkill in a small handful of pedals that all have a use.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Cool like Fonzie my friend. I love it.

Comment

I meant to imply that the giant PT-2 and its flight case are overkill for the 5 pedals.
                Last edited by Rich_S; 09-10-2015, 02:23 PM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

Def Uber-Cool!
                  "Scalloped & Stickered"
                  A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

All the PT-2 is going to do is encourage you to fill it.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      All the PT-2 is going to do is encourage you to fill it.
                      You say that like it's a bad thing.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

The board presentation is pure beach blanket bad-assery daddy-o!!!!!!

That said, I'd lose the Fuzz and the SOul Food (unless you use them)

and I would add a Danolectric Slapback and perhaps some sort of basic overdrive.

But COOL is the only thing overkill about that board….
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ya gotsta have the Fuzzrite for those spaghetti western/crime jazz flavors.

The Soul Food? I stuck that on there because:
                          1. I had it in my toolbox
                          2. The OneSpot daisy chain had a 5th connector
                          3. I though I might occasionally want a "MORE" button, which the Soul Food does pretty well. Decent clean-to-gritty boost that pairs well with Fender amps.

Worst case, the Soul Food can save the space for a future delay pedal. A Carbon Copy (either normal or bright) would fit the color scheme nicely, methinks.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should build a pine frame to surround the board and elevate it slightly, or just go with the flat plywood board with some rubber feet or a non-skid pad on the bottom.

While we're talking skim boards, I'll brag a little on my nephew, Eddie Dixon. He's 15, rides for Exile Skim Boards, and won the amateur division at the Sununga Skim Festival in Brazil this year. He lives over on the wavey side of Florida.

Last edited by Rich_S; 09-15-2015, 10:45 AM.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

Comment

Wow! You got a Soul Food as a "freebie"? Nice score. I love mine. Been using it more and more.

Comment

Better yet, it came from a SDUGF forum bro. I wonder if he wants it back?
                              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                              Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
                              X