I need a new Wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need a new Wah

Wish I came into the pedal board more often so would have seen this sooner. I used to have the Snarling Dog Fire Bawl (the orange one) which was pretty cool, it had a classic and modern modes with an adjustable volume boost. I also used a Morley Classic for a while, but instead of it being auto on, it had a footswitch off to the side which I didn't care for. Lately I've been using the Dunlop SC-95, I like it precisely for the leds and instead of having one top like some other brands it has one on each side
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I have one of the orginal CRY BABY DUNLOPS sound great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tman View Post
        I have one of the orginal CRY BABY DUNLOPS sound great to me.

GCB-95? Those aren't true bypass nor do they have buffers, so when they're off, your tone will suffer. The recent production ones have red fasels, but the older ones don't. If you have a GCB-95, it probably needs a mod or two.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yeah its not true bypass, but you know what the tone dont suffer all that much though.I was actually surprised that it didnt interfere all that much like you think to me anyways. I dont really use it much only a few songs.So I basically just take it out of the loop when not using it. I did think about modding it,but I'm not sure its even worth it if I'm not using it all that much.

Comment

Yeah its not true bypass, but you know what the tone dont suffer all that much though.I was actually surprised that it didnt interfere all that much like you think to me anyways. I dont really use it much only a few songs.So I basically just take it out of the loop when not using it. I did think about modding it, but I'm not sure its even worth it if I'm not using it all that much.

They sound good, the issue is always what they do when they're not being used. Wah circuits are notorious for degrading tone quality, just part of the design. Putting in a true bypass switch isn't hard or expensive, there's video instruction online. Then you can get more use from your wah, or at least leave it in place when you're not using it.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Yeah its not true bypass, but you know what the tone dont suffer all that much though.I was actually surprised that it didnt interfere all that much like you think to me anyways. I dont really use it much only a few songs.So I basically just take it out of the loop when not using it. I did think about modding it,but I'm not sure its even worth it if I'm not using it all that much.
              Your signal could suffer more from having nothing but true bypass pedals. A non-true bypass pedal works as a buffer in your signal when using really long cables

Comment

My top 3 wah pedals are the CAE MC404, Dunlop Cantrell wah and the Homebrew Electronics Medicine Bawl. That last company is out of business though

Comment

Originally posted by GudrunB View Post
                  Your signal could suffer more from having nothing but true bypass pedals. A non-true bypass pedal works as a buffer in your signal when using really long cables

Not entirely true. A 'non-true bypass' pedal only works as a buffer if it's a buffered bypass. If it's an old-fashioned hardwire bypass, it's neither buffered nor true bypass, and when you have a circuit design that by nature 'sucks' tone (i.e. wah wah), you may have a problem. What's often recommended is a buffered pedal at the beginning of the chain, followed by true bypass pedals. That boosts the signal to make it thru a series of true bypass pedals (passive PU's generate about 1/4 watt of power). Using a chain of pedals that are all buffered bypass can have it's own share of issues.

Comment

Hi guys, Been lurking here a bit and finally feel like talking a bit. Really enjoyed the wah thread a lot, as I never got the itch to try one..been playing since 1969 so, guess there comes a time for everything. Learned about the Ibanez WD7 wah on this thread and also the Fulltone Clyde...went to youtube and listened to a whole lotta wahs...you remember the old jimmy page classic...ar ar....I have this Vox multipedal Stomplab that is based on their Valvetronix and Tonelab stuff that does a nice job of emulating the vox 845 and 847 wahs but doesn't have the pedal travel to compete with serious wahs..imho...Got a lot of other fx in it and was a nice place to start. Thinking I am going to get a WD7, as I do not hear enough difference between the Fulltone Clydes and the massively editable WD7. Wish the pedal was a bit less visibly metal oriented but the tone seems to be there. Thanks for all the interest you folks have for gear. Btw, I also learned about the Tech 21 Fly Rig5 here and bought the standard Plexi one. Damn thing is so good I may just play direct to p.a. mixer for anything over 150 people. I remember when Sans Amps came out in 1989 and I thought they were kinda lame. Ain't so no mo'!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post
                      the massively editable WD7... Wish the pedal was a bit less visibly metal oriented but the tone seems to be there.

There's more options for conventional-looking but 'massively editable' wahs: MXR MC404, Rocktron Black Cat, & Dunlop 535Q come to mind. There's a whole lot of adjusting you can do with them. Check them out.

Comment

You could always put the tone offending pedal in a true bypass loop, it takes abit of space but if you really love the particular effect it produces then thats one way of doing it without any internal mods to the pedal, works for any kind of bypassed tone sucking stomps out there. I'm guessing buffered loops would also be available in the market.

Comment

Saw one go for 50 that I would have hit except:

I lost a Shure 58 at a gig, and got two tickets…..

But I WILL get the demon.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            got two tickets…..
                            Going to see the little red head girl?

Comment

Thanks blueman335!
                              I already checked out the other editable wahs you named. They are all aesthetically more pleasing to me than the WD7 but do not have the feature set. The WD7's ability to operate like either a bad horsie or s standard wah is better plus the adjustability of a 535q for instance is really only a 5 position sweep of one basic wah. is The Fulltone Clyde is the only wah I might get on an "also ran" basis....mostly because I love the Clyde McCoy aspect. My dad used to call Clyde "Sugarlips McCoy" and would solemnly tell me about how underrated he was as a musician.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post
                                I already checked out the other editable wahs you named. They are all aesthetically more pleasing to me than the WD7 but do not have the feature set...plus the adjustability of a 535q for instance is really only a 5 position sweep of one basic wah.

Current production 535Q's also have two small knobs on the left side to adjust the Q and gain; when added to the sweep knob, you have a lot of tones.

Comment

Working...
                                X