Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

So I want a boost pedal that I can kick in front of my amp for leads on top of my rhythm tone that adds a bit of compression, cuts a bit of lows and highs, and noticeably boosts mids so that I can cut through the mix more, but that doesn't add much more distortion to the base tone. A hint more of gain is alright, but I already own a few overdrive pedals, and even with the gain at 0, the Tube Screamer and MXR Classic Overdrive are way too dirty for what I'm looking for. The Tube Screamer-ish kinda honky midboost is cool, though.

So what are my options here? What do you guys recommend?

I was looking at the TC Spark. Am I looking in the right direction? How dirty is the TC Spark? Does it have the right kind of honky mids?

Thanks.

Re: Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

The Spark (and all other clean boosts) are just that, flat, clean, boosts. The only clipping they create is by overloading the input of the next gain stage. (amp or pedal) If the Tube Screamer is too dirty with Gain = 0, have you tried an EQ pedal?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      The Spark (and all other clean boosts) are just that, flat, clean, boosts. The only clipping they create is by overloading the input of the next gain stage. (amp or pedal) If the Tube Screamer is too dirty with Gain = 0, have you tried an EQ pedal?
      The full size spark can go from clean to slight overdrive with the gain knob.
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
        The full size spark can go from clean to slight overdrive with the gain knob.
        Ah, sorry, I was thinking of the Spark Mini.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Try any of the various echoplex pre-amp style pedals.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

What kind of amp/amps are you planning pushing? There's a few different kinds of boost pedals & some work better with some amps than others? If all you want to do is push the front end of your amp harder a Mini Spark, a Clean Boost, would do just fine, but E.Q.'s, Dark Boosts, Treble boosters, Transparent O.D.'s like Soul Food's, EXE, could fit the bill better depending what on what you play, what your pushing, & what exactly you want out of it?

Going off the info you posted so far I'd suggest a Spark or a E-H Soul Food. The Soul Food's are reasonably cheap & with the gain turned all or almost all the way down they are essentially Clean Boost pedals? They sound terrific & you'll have that gain knob there if you need/want it? It's a very versatile little pedal & personally I think its one of those stomp boxes that we all should have in our tool box....
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, dudes.

So the Spark does not add the hint of compression to the sound?

I don't think EQ pedals tend to add the natural compression that I'm looking for, do they? The Boss EQ is also kinda noisy, IME, and the 10-band MXR is way too humongous for my little pedalboard.

As far as what my rig is like... depending on how loud I want to be, I reach for my Peavey XXX, Krank Rev Jr., or Randall RD5. They are all relatively different, but I set them all up to sound more or less similar, and I run a TS808 in front of them pretty much all the time. The Peavey has two gain channels, so it has me covered as far as lead/rhythm tone gones, but the Krank and Randall do not, so a boost pedal that I can kick in front of everything, and imparts a mid-heavy, vocal color to the tone would be awesome.

Comment

The old TC Electronics BLD+ is big jiggly boobies in my book but its not so easy to find and expensive these days.

Keeley makes a nice boost with the Katana. So is the analogman Bad bob boost.

but if you are looking for compression you probably dont want a straight boost. You need something to clip it a bit to get your compression. most clean boosts dont clip the signal themselves but boost it then the 1st stage in the amp clips the signal since its so large.

Why not try an actual compressor? Many do add some amount of gain to the signal.

I love my wampler ego compressor.

Also keep in mind that putting a compressor out front before the gain stages as opposed to in the loop are very different sounds. You can even put it in the middle... go TS...comp... Amp... and see what you get.
                Last edited by Edgecrusher; 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You might get away with an EQ pedal. You can shape it to have the EQ character of a Tube Screamer, but lower the overall gain on the pedal to keep it from adding too much dirt. Thing is, the EQ pedal probably won't add any compression. Maybe mix a compressor and an EQ pedal?

Comment

Any tubescreamer derived OD with a separate bass & treble control would work. Things like digitech Bad Monkey or hardwire OD, Visual Sound XO or Drivetrain, etc come to mind from your description. For just a clean boost without a mid range increase the mxr cae 401 is a cool option.

Edit: forgot to mention the ehx soul food in there
                    Last edited by Hank-; 09-20-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I do have an EHX Black Finger that gives me the exact amount of compression, boost, and grit that I want from a lead boost, it's just I can't really shape the EQ curve of the boost to make it middy enough. I ADORE that compressor. It DESTROYED my old MXR Custom Comp for any application I could think of, except for the fact that's inconveniently humongous. I wonder if there is some sort of compression+EQ pedal out there, then? I'd rather stomp on a single unit. Don't want to make things too overly complitcated for something that's not going to really be my "main" tone.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-20-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Use an AB switch to route A guitar to amp, B guitar to EHX Black Finger > EQ pedal to your amp. One stomp gets both the EHX and EQ if left "on".

Comment

on my radar...
                          -MXR 10 band eq (maximum adjustability)
                          -TC spark (3 band eq)
                          -Xotic EP booster (tiny size, 1 knob)

Comment

The Wampler Paisley is pretty good, it's pretty much just a hot clean boost with a little grit.

Comment

MXR Micro Amp works fine for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X