Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a boost pedal, please.

Thanks for the recommendations, dudes. I'm really liking what I'm hearing of the Spark, but I'll look into the others. The EP boost got me interested, as well as the new MXR Echoplex.

How about the Koko boost? Any of you guys have any experience with that one? It seems pricey. Is it that much better than the Spark?

Comment

I give another recommendation for the Katana.

Comment

I've used a ton of different things for what you are looking to do. I love the MXR/CAE 401 for my boost, it tends to tighten up the amp and add some natural compression when it hits the front of my Mesa Roadster end harder. If you need an EQ and Compressor (or any combination of pedals) to achieve what you are trying to do, I would suggest using a loop switch to trigger them both (or more than two) at the same time.

Comment

Another vote for the ep booster, I have a madbean fatpants (soon to be replaced with fatpants Jr. When it comes out) and it does exactly what you're describing. Hint of compression, re-eq, and the distortion sounds positively 3-D when I kick it on
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

im very surprised no one has mentioned the fulltone fat boost since it does exactly what you want. a little grit, more mids (if you set the eq that way) and a little compression.

Comment

my Homebrew CPR can do that. Its a compressor.
              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                im very surprised no one has mentioned the fulltone fat boost since it does exactly what you want. a little grit, more mids (if you set the eq that way) and a little compression.
                IIRC the fulltone is a variant of a paul Cochrane design which uses a an input buffer into a jfet mu-amp style booster. The jfets do compress some naturally but there's no dedicated compressor like with some boosts.

That being said the EP does compress a bit too. A lot of 'clean' boosts aren't really clean - so I like to think of them as either tone enhancers or solo boosts. Plus with a solo you do want some compression and a different EQ so I think the best "clean boost" for those applications is something like the fat boost which does a little of both.
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

I ended up going for a Blackstar LT Boost. It was cheap, and it sounded great to me. It was not clean by any means, but it's more like a very very mild overdrive. The pedal itself does push the mids a bit (not nearly as much as a TS, though), and you have the ability to fine-tune the bass and the treble.

Comment

TC Spark Mini. I own one and I am really pleased with what it does.
                    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

The Spark is my favorite. I am wanting to get one myself very soon.

Comment

It sounds like the Xotic RC booster might be just the pedal for you. The bass and treble controls give you a lot of tonal versatility. Turn them both down and raise the volume - you've got a mid boost. Turn both up - mid scoop. The lower half of the gain knob range keeps it clean, just adding compression as you turn up. In the upper half of the gain range it starts adding a little bit of dirt of its own. The ultimate boost pedal if you ask me.

Reasons to get a single knob pedal over the RC might be only if:
                        - you need the small footprint of the single-knobbers
                        -the RC is too expensive for you

I don't want to sound like a Xotic fanboy, but if you want a single knob pedal, I'd recommend the EP booster. A great pedal too!

Comment

I know this is sort of an older thread...but why not show love for our own Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster? It is a great clean boost for solos, and can add fatness due to the resonance switch. It is also true-bypass and super low-noise. On 0, there is no boost at all, but then it can add up to 25dB of gain to punish the input of the amp.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Of course, we're on a SD forum, how could we ever forget the Pickup Booster! I've never owned one myself, but two of my friends do and they say only good things about it!

Comment

how about this??

Comment

Too bad that's not a real production pedal.... That's awesome.

Did you rehouse or build from board-up?
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X