Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Good Distortion for Not Much $$$

Howdy all,

I need a good distortion pedal. Let me tell you about my rig and that might help you to better help me.

I have a Line 6 Flextone III Plus. Yes, it's a fine amp and while I'd love to have a Deluxe Reverb, my pocket book won't currently allow it. Until then, the Flextone is what I use. I don't go nuts with amp models and I don't use them thinking I'm going to really get the true sound of the amp/cab it's modeling. I just dial in good sounds and use them.

Anyway, my rig goes like this:

Amplifier - Line6 Flextone III
    Pedal(s) - Marshall ED-1 comp, Visual Sound Route 66 V2, Boss ME-33

I run the signal chain like this: Guitar ->Marshall comp ->Route 66 ->amplifier. I run the ME-33 through the effects loop. I use it for extra delays, reverb, phase shifter, and other modulation effects. I have a Line6 foot controller that allows me to switch between banks/patches and use the expression pedal as a volume/wah. Most of my effects (chorus, delay, reverb) come from the amp. All in all, a pretty good setup. The only effect the amp does not have is OD/distortion. You have to use whatever amp model's gain. Some are decent and some are not. I mainly use the Plexi Lead 100 for my and and a 4x12 V30 cab for my cabinet. I have for presets per bank. #1 is pretty clean, #2 is clean with a little hair on it, #3 has a little more hair, and #4 has even more.

What I don't have is that really nice saturated distortion. That amp models just don't get there. What I use the Route 66 for is basic comp (always on - I'm a Tele player and it works for me) and the OD section is a solo boost. It adds a little gain and volume for soloing with nice sustain. The Marshal comp is off unless I'm doing a Telecaster twanging chicken picking solo ala albert Lee, Brent Mason, etc. The OD section of the Route 66 is basically a TS9 copy; so it isn't really gainey anyway.

Okay, now you know my rig and most every nuance of it and how I use it. What I would like is the best distortion pedal for the money. I want something that will get me as saturated as I like but be able to be dialed back. Here are some I've been thinking about.

1. Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion
    2. Seymour Duncan SFX04 Twin Tube Mayhem Distortion
    3. Boss OD-20 Drive Zone Distortion/Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal

My thought about the Boss is flexibility and versatility. Okay, there you have it. I welcome and and all suggestions, recommendations, and advice.
    -Butch

Re: Need a Good Distortion for Not Much $$$

BTW, here's a good shot of my rig.

-Butch

Comment

Don't know how heavy you want to get, but I would say Boss DS-1 or MXR Distortion Plus

I like the Boss MT-2 for heavier stuff, although many people hate it...

Comment

I also love the Boss SD-1, but maybe it is not enough for your needs

Comment

Originally posted by lucaspaço View Post
          Don't know how heavy you want to get, but I would say Boss DS-1 or MXR Distortion Plus

I like the Boss MT-2 for heavier stuff, although many people hate it...
          I'm looking to be able to get pretty heavy if needed; but if I had to give an example, I really like Joe Satriani's tone on "The Extremist" CD. Rhythm is nice and saturated but articulate across strings. His solo/lead tone is good too.
          -Butch

Comment

Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator perhaps? Don't know about its price

Comment

No idea how it pairs with a modelling amp, but I love the sounds I'm getting with the MXR Distortion + and Proco Rat and my Tele. I use either one and engage the Micro Amp + in front for more saturation/sustain.

Comment

Comment

Experiment with the ME-33 as a distortion pedal in front of the amp and in the loop. A lot of modeling amps sound bad when trying to use external distortion effects.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Joyo has clones of some of the classic pedals for cheap
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                    Originally posted by Securb
                    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

there isnt enough gain in the flextone pushed by the rt66? theres a bogner, soldano, and mesa's in there

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                        Experiment with the ME-33 as a distortion pedal in front of the amp and in the loop.
                        How do I do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        -Butch

Comment

Boss DS-1 is dirt cheap and aweosme...Joyo US Dream is dirt cheap and awesome as well...

Those are two I'd recommend

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            Boss DS-1 is dirt cheap and aweosme...Joyo US Dream is dirt cheap and awesome as well...

Those are two I'd recommend
                            I was going to say the same thing. I see DS-1s around here used for about $19 all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              there isnt enough gain in the flextone pushed by the rt66? theres a bogner, soldano, and mesa's in there
                              With the Dual/Triple Rec models, yes, there is enough gain; but I don't like their tones. I want something to color the existing amp model I'm using.
                              -Butch

Comment

Working...
                              X