banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else stacking overdrives or boosts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else stacking overdrives or boosts?

I have been doing it for a while and was wondering if anyone else around here was and what they were using. Back in the metal days I would breakup the Fender stack with a Morley boost then stack a DOD250 or a MXR Dist+ over it. Recently I have found setting my BBE Freq Boost low and running it into my TWA Triskelion gives me a great Rev Billy tone. I know the Rev has been know to stack overdrives. Just wondering what others may be using
    Last edited by Securb; 09-24-2015, 08:44 PM.

Re: Is anyone else stacking overdrives or boosts?

I do it as a general rule...

ETA: What I currently stack (depending on the day, and this is ignoring any other fuzz, etc. that may be in the chain) -

tc electronic MojoMojo od -> Dark Matter dist
    MXR Classic Overdrive -> Classic Distortion

My other two grit pedals are a Nick Greer Green Ghetto Stomp, and a John McNeese 7XL fuzz... and a cheap Baby Boomer Fuzzstar (which is actually surprisingly good on bass).
    Last edited by jtougas; 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM.
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I don't use it live, but I occasionally cascade a Tube Screamer into a Big Muff to fill out the mids ala David Gilmour. He technically uses a rackmount Chandler Tube Driver, but having owned one they don't sound all that different.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

i do it all the time. my little board has two overdrives, at the moment an analogman modded vox valvetone and timmy. i was running a jetter red shift and timmy but i lent the jetter to a friend (great pedal). i like one set as a little dirt and a volume boost, the other set at about the same volume as the bypass but with more gain. stacking them gives a huge lead sound and good volume boost. not everything stacks well but theres lots of good stuff out there

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i do it all the time. my little board has two overdrives, at the moment an analogman modded vox valvetone and timmy. i was running a jetter red shift and timmy but i lent the jetter to a friend (great pedal). i like one set as a little dirt and a volume boost, the other set at about the same volume as the bypass but with more gain. stacking them gives a huge lead sound and good volume boost. not everything stacks well but theres lots of good stuff out there
          Sounds cool what are you using for an amp?

Comment

usually a '66 deluxe reverb with a cannabis rex

Comment

I stack a SD-1 with a MT-2 for really heavy sounds!

Comment

Currently I've got a Malekko Compressor into Fulldrive into Wampler Pinnacle. The comp is set for just a little squish and just a little boost. Also, it's a warmer compressor. The Fulldrive is setup in vintage full mids mode, with gain about 11 o'clock. Pinnacle is setup for a nice crunch.

I can do Fulldrive for light OD rhythm, hit the Boost switch for leads, or do crunchy Pinnacle for rock rhythm and boost/tighten with the Fulldrive. The compressor reduces the dynamic range for when I don't want it quite as touch sensitive and helps the overall tone standout in the mix a bit more.

I stumbled upon this combo and it works great for a multitude of different styles.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by lucaspaço View Post
                  I stack a SD-1 with a MT-2 for really heavy sounds!
                  Before this I have a OC-3 and a MXR Dyna Comp

Comment

It's a work in progress for me...

Boss SD-1 > Joyo Us Dream > 3ch Marshall VS100 combo.

Lotsa knob twiddlin' when I can get to it(housemates,y'know),but it's getting there,I think...
                    "Scalloped & Stickered"
                    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

On my main board I run a Pharaoh Fuzz into a Aluminum Falcon II, and on the small venue board I alternate between a P-19 fuzz and a Jetter Gold 45/100 into a Wampler Euphoria. I really prefer the OD being second in the pair.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Too much hassle for me….

I can always find a single that does the job
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I stack an overdrive into a distortion for heavier stuff. Usually an 808 clone into an MP-1 AIAB.
                          Originally posted by Myaccount876
                          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

King of Tone pedal is basically this idea as it's a two channel stackable OD/boost. It can even be ordered in a config that allows you to switch the order of the signal path through the two channels.

I combine both KoT channels sparingly, because I often use amp overdrive. But that feature does come in handy from time to time.

sigpic

Comment

I only stack because it's easier/faster to hit one more pedal than switch between two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X