banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else stacking overdrives or boosts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is anyone else stacking overdrives or boosts?

Emerson Em-Drive into an Emerson Paramount into a Mojo Hand Fx Magpie.
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

So... I guess a bit on-topic:

I was experimenting with my overdrive pedals yesterday. I run a TS808 on all the time as an integral part of my rhythm tone because, out of the pedals that I own, it's the least transparent and the one that colors the sound more evidently by shelving off the most bottom-end and adding the tasty, squishy, creamy, familiar Tube Screamer mids.

I was shooting out my other two overdrive pedals against each other in front of the TS808 as a boost for leads. I really liked the voicing of the mids on the Maxon OD-9. It's basically the same kind of tube screamer creamy mids with a hint of added upper-mid grit from the TS9 design, and the usual Tube Screamer low and high end rolloff. I like really vocal, honky mids for my leads, but the gain is a bit too much even with the knob set to 0. It's not unuseable, but it does get a bit more washy-sounding than I'd like in front of an already boosted high-gain sound.

Then my MXR Classic Overdrive. The gain level was perfect. If you crank the gain knob on this one, it can get a lot more gainy than the OD-9 and TS808, but it just so happens that with the gain set to 0 on all, the MXR is the cleanest by a hair too. It does have a bit of high and low-end rolloff ala Tube Screamer, just not as dramatic. However, the mids are just not voiced the same. The MXR is less vocal and less squishy, kind of an in-between Boss SD-1 and Ibanez TS808 sound. It is a great pedal, though. I'm keeping this one on my board for now in front of the TS808 because it does sound great, but I'm not 100% sold on it for a lead boost.

I'm happier now that I really TWEAKED the pedals that I have than I was before with my lead tone, but I'm still convinced I need a slightly less gainy pedal with a more tweakable EQ to boost my TS808 + high gain amp rhtym sound to make it less dry, and more middy and singing for leads.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Oh hells yeah!!! I run a Spark for a clean boost into either a TS9, E-H Soul Food, BBE Bohemian Treble Booster, or O.C.D (depending on what flavor I'm after & what amp I'm pushing) usually with the gain set someplace between 11:00 & 1:00 o'clock, into my E-H Metal Muff, gain set @ about noon? I guess technically that's two pedals in one if you count the top boost circuit as a second & then into a MXR 7 band E.Q. pedal.

The Spark, Metal Muff, & E.Q. are pretty much permanent fixtures on my board, the Overdrive pedal that I use changes to taste but these days I'm using the O.C.D 89% of the time. Unless I'm playing out of one of my AC's, then it's almost always my Treble Booster & the E-H, sometimes I'll swap out the Metal Muff with a Swell G Drive, (also a two stage pedal) but both stomp boxes sound great stacked up!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I reamped these guitars today; with the exception of the "clean" guitar, they are all stacked pedals.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I used to run two TS9's. One 12 o'clock gain the other 9 o'clock. Of course I had a channel switching amp and a Boss GT-6 with all of those patches. Playing so many covers I needed to cover all kinds of grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I'm happier now that I really TWEAKED the pedals that I have than I was before with my lead tone, but I'm still convinced I need a slightly less gainy pedal with a more tweakable EQ to boost my TS808 + high gain amp rhtym sound to make it less dry, and more middy and singing for leads.
              Try a nice compressor
              preferably one with an attack control.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                Try a nice compressor
                preferably one with an attack control.
                I tried my EHX Black Finger! I love that pedal... but I dunno. It does give a nice sustain, but it doesn't color the EQ the way I'd want for my leads. It is a killer sound, just not really what I'm going for.

I guess what I really really want is a Koko Boost, but I'm trying to find something that can get a similar vibe going, but that isn't as expensive, or that I already own. I can't believe no one makes a simple mid-boosting pedal that isn't $200!!!
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

guitar OCD soul food = clearer OCD sound

I don't really stack pedals, but I found this out yesterday
                  Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                  http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I can't believe no one makes a simple mid-boosting pedal that isn't $200!!!
                    Try finding a Boss PQ-4 that will do the trick

Comment

Just a quick update on my boost pedal update. I ended up with a Blackstar LT Boost. Yeah, I know, it's cheap, but I compared it at the store with an Ibanez BB9 and an MXR Micro Amp, and I preferred the Blackstar. It's definitely not a clean boost. It's more like a very mild natural overdrive that's more transparent and tube-like than the Tube Screamer. I dug the personality it had.

It plays well in front of my TS-boosted high-gain amps for a lead boost! It makes it nice and cutting without going too harsh or thin. Now I just need a nice delay pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12167000_10153710647600746_1298065269_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5788856

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                        How's that Joyo US Dream treating you?
                        It's a great pedal,for sure!
                        Working well w/teh Marshall & Boss SD-1,but I'm getting my best tones on the Clean channel.
                        Like I said,lots of knob twiddlin' still happening & gonna swap out the speaker hopefully in a bit...
                        "Scalloped & Stickered"
                        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I'm currently pushing both channels of my Blackstar HT Dual with an 805 Overdrive, and sometimes give it a further nudge with the Pickup Booster. I also run the 805 into a second, dirtier 805 on occasions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I am undecided on boosting overdrive pedals vs. The amp itself. My philosophy has been to dial in more gain and then use the volume knob to dial it up/back. Works better with fuzz pedals than OD pedals however. Upside is it avoids the pop with true bypass without the need for a buffer.

My favorite approach is probably the runoffgroove thunderbird which cascades different types of diode clipping without any opamp clipping. A pedal like that will overdrive differently with a boost.

I dunno. It just depends. I don't use a ton of gain anyway so it hasn't been a huge issue
                            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Yes.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5555.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	5788899

Comment

^^
                                All that stuff either hits the front of the amp, or hits the TT Mayhem as if it were the front of the amp. Any amp.

Comment

Working...
                                X