No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Big Muff? (JHS Muffuletta)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Big Muff? (JHS Muffuletta)

This one box from JHS claims to contain the circuit from most of the major Big Muff pedals, using a microprocessor to swap components for each version. Cool concept and interesting way to achieve the goal.

Sounds pretty darn good. I have an IC Big Muff, but the Ram's Head and Triangle Muffs are getting out of the price range I want to pay for a vintage pedal. There are quite a few good clones of the Tri, Ram IC and Russian plus a million variations on the Russian, but this looks intriguing...

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: The Ultimate Big Muff? (JHS Muffuletta)

I have a thread in the soundroom about GAS brought on by this thing. I thought about getting it to replace my Swollen Pickle, but then I'd be forfeiting my ability to tweak my midrange content and compression to taste.

That being said, after hearing about this thing coming into existence, I would feel awfully silly if I went out of my way to get one of the vintage muffs this pedal emulates for 2x the price of what this one goes for, considering some of the older muff models can be notorious for their bypass and switching issues, plus the only power supply you can use is a battery and they are ginormus, so they were a pedalboard's worst enemy. This seems much more convenient and friendlier, but I have also heard that the different muff settings on it aren't different or diverse enough to justify the inclusion.

To that I say BULLCRAP. Little sound differences like that make all the difference in mixing, and differences in fuzz texture, midrange, and low end can be very glaring between these models.

If I had some other muff model without some unique gimmick like the tone wicker or the bbm, and it is a pedal that this unit doesn't have a setting to replicate, then I would consider replacing whatever one that is with the Muffuletta.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
      Little sound differences like that make all the difference in mixing, and differences in fuzz texture, midrange, and low end can be very glaring between these models.
      The big differences in mixing are done in the choice and placement of mics and tweaking done in the desk. In the end, whatever muff you use ends up sounding like a muff into whatever amp you use. Guitarists have a habit of sweating the small stuff way too much.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-04-2015, 10:59 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Deluxe Big Muff Pi

Tried this one in the store awhile ago. Really liked this muff and it is versatile.

And if you can get two Deluxe Big Muffs for the price of a Muffuletta.

Read the full Electro Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff Pi review at BestGuitarEffects.com:http://bestguitareffects.com/electro-harmonix-deluxe-big-muff-pi-review-bes...

Legendary fuzz with added features like a Bass Boost, Noise Gate, and adjustable Mids section for the most versatile Muff ever!

Attached Files
        Last edited by Condemned soul; 10-04-2015, 06:58 PM.
        That is not dead which can eternal lie,
        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          The big differences in mixing are done in the choice and placement of mics and tweaking done in the desk. In the end, whatever muff you use ends up sounding like a muff into whatever amp you use. Guitarists have a habit of sweating the small stuff way too much.
          Depends who your sound engineer is I guess. Mine swatted me away when I attempted to even touch any pedal of my own pedal settings after the band was dialed in.
          Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 10-04-2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            Depends who your sound engineer is I guess. Mine swatted me away when I attempted to even touch any pedal of my own pedal settings after the band was dialed in.
            That would be because he had already set up his mics, and mic pres and got a monitor mix. Any knob twiddling from the band would be annoying because it changes things and making him have to do extra work.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              That would be because he had already set up his mics, and mic pres and got a monitor mix. Any knob twiddling from the band would be annoying because it changes things and making him have to do extra work.
              Exactly my point. It's sweating small stuff. Now imagine you have a knob that turns one pedal into another version of itself. The more you get right in the initial set up the better.

Comment

Cute idea but the best Big Muff is the Black Arts Pharaoh so i would just buy that.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  Cute idea but the best Big Muff is the Black Arts Pharaoh so i would just buy that.
                  Nope, the best Big Muff is the Pharaoh, original Swollen Pickle, Skreddy Zero, Skreddy Mayo, Musket Fuzz, original Triangle, original Rams head, ICBM, etc. so the only solution is to buy all of them.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                  X