X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-Bow anyone?

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
    That's awesome if true.
    I just re-researched that and it Nothing Else Matters that he wrote the stringed sections for. He used an Ebow and then hired a composer to write the actual music based on the information that James provided him. Hetfield apparently said "What am I going to do? Sit in a room with these guys and tell them 'Go here... okay now go up here.'?" I still remember seeing S&M at one point, but whether that's true or not, he did use one for the purpose of writing stringed parts for Metallica music, which is pretty badass.

I was learing the bass part to "Be All, End All" by Anthrax, and used the Ebow on the bass at the beginning to simulate the cello at the beginning of the song.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I do not have one; however, I do have a good friend that uses it frequently on a Telecaster and gets some unique sound using it.

I tried it but did not really care to try to learn how to use it...
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I have one; it's fun, but rarely used.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          I used one on this track. Starts around the second chorus. It sounds like feedback and hangs on until the final note of the tune.
          http://avatorch.bandcamp.com/track/veronique
          ahem...you might not want to play this track in church tho....ava tends to use colourful language in her songs
          Ha! I recently read an article about how Churches in America are basically still living in the 1960's and are the least diverse organizations when it comes to people of different skin colors...some change in color should be good for cultural diversity here

I used my eBow once in Church–the hardest part was trying to deal with the volume level since the sound guys didn't know what they were doing–I couldn't control it with my foot via volume pedal.
          Last edited by treyhaislip; 10-09-2015, 08:20 AM. Reason: Volume Pedal not Foot Switch

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
            You're going to have a hard time using an ebow on an acoustic string because, comparatively speaking, they are barely magnetic and very tense.
            +1

An E-Bow works on acoustic, but you need to be much more precise making it pretty difficult to pull off. In terms of volume, once you get it going it's about the same or slightly more than you can achieve by picking individual strings.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              +1

An E-Bow works on acoustic, but you need to be much more precise making it pretty difficult to pull off. In terms of volume, once you get it going it's about the same or slightly more than you can achieve by picking individual strings.
              I do know Phil Keaggy has used his on his Olson Acoustic, but other than him I don't recall seeing anyone pull it off (not saying it can't be done.)

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                Ha! I recently read an article about how Churches in America are basically still living in the 1960's and are the least diverse organizations when it comes to people of different skin colors...some change in color should be good for cultural diversity here

I used my eBow once in Church–the hardest part was trying to deal with the volume level since the sound guys didn't know what they were doing–I couldn't control it with my foot via volume pedal.
                i wasnt actually referring to that...its was more that she drops the "C" bomb in the third verse! lol
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Mine has proven very useful, once every 10 years.

Comment

Somewhere, there's a really nice Joe Gore (ToneFiend) video where he uses the eBow. It's the video that got me interested in this device, but for the life of me, I can't find it now.

Edit: Found it right after I posted.

Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-10-2015, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I don't use it now, but won't part with it. I bought it when I needed it. It's easy to use ... particularly if you're playing a simple line up and down on one string. Use a neck pickup, roll the tone back a bit, and play.

Moving from string to string takes some practice.
                      Last edited by Lazarus1140; 10-11-2015, 09:08 AM.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                        Moving from string to string takes some practice.
                        It definitely takes practice but you can't get some really cool sounds with chords when you "bow" with the eBow

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5788853

It's here and now I will have to play around with it tonight some. All advice taken into consideration. Thanks guys and gals.
                          sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]67481[/ATTACH]

It's here and now I will have to play around with it tonight some. All advice taken into consideration. Thanks guys and gals.
                            Sweet! Let us know what you think!

For chords, try hovering it over a pickup in a slow strumming pattern and you will "bow" the chord–can do this for arpeggios as well. You can get insane harmonics with it too. I would say trying it at all positions to the pickup (directly above, slightly off, up and down) to try and get a feel for both what it does and the volume differences.

And lastly, enjoy!

Comment

I don't think that the robe likes a processor much like any other add on effects lol. Sound phenomenal through just an amp with light OD and verb though. Also I'm really shocked on how it sounds on a straight acoustic guitar in the higher strings.
                              sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
                                I don't think that the robe likes a processor much like any other add on effects lol. Sound phenomenal through just an amp with light OD and verb though. Also I'm really shocked on how it sounds on a straight acoustic guitar in the higher strings.
                                The robe?

Comment

Working...
                                X