Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for reverb pedal for new board

Hey all,

I'm building a new board and I'm looking for advice regarding reverb pedals. There are so many choices out there now so I'd like to hear some of your experiences. In terms of my own experience, I have used 3-4 different reverb pedals in the past, but the one that I've kept the longest is the Line6 Verbzilla. It has been acting flaky lately so as I'm building a new board anyway I'm going to replace it with something else.

Some helpful info: my material is usually rock/hard rock. Amp wise I'm using Marshall's or Mesa Dual Rec 95% of the time. The reverb will need to have at least plate and spring reverbs as those are my most used settings. Low noise is a consideration. Stereo is a bonus.

Any help is appreciated.
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Re: Ideas for reverb pedal for new board

Favorite reverb currently is an EQD Aftermath.

Comment

Small: TC Electronic Hall of Fame
      Medium: Strymon Blue Sky
      Large: Strymon Big Sky or Eventide Space

Depending on how much board real estate and versatility you need. The HoF sounds great in a hard rock context.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by staybobo View Post
        Favorite reverb currently is an EQD Aftermath.
        Just saw a video demo of it. Very nice. They were so busy showing the "bells and whistles" that came with it though I didn't get a great idea of the basic sounds. Are you using it for a more standard reverb or for more ambient/experimental material?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Small: TC Electronic Hall of Fame
        Medium: Strymon Blue Sky
        Large: Strymon Big Sky or Eventide Space

Depending on how much board real estate and versatility you need. The HoF sounds great in a hard rock context.
        I have been considering a HoF. I have been using the TC Corona chorus and I like the tone and the tone print technology. I have never tried any of the Strymon stuff but I have seen demo videos. Space on the board is not really an issue. I'm more concerned with power requirements; do the Strymon units have special requirements?

Comment

Depending on your budget the best reverb I have ever used is the Eventide Space. Hands down blows away anything else I have ever used or heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
            I have been considering a HoF. I have been using the TC Corona chorus and I like the tone and the tone print technology. I have never tried any of the Strymon stuff but I have seen demo videos. Space on the board is not really an issue. I'm more concerned with power requirements; do the Strymon units have special requirements?
            All are standard 9VDC, Blue Sky needs 250mA, Big Sky needs 300mA and Space needs 500mA. Hall of Fame is only 100mA.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I wanna get my hands on the new Digitech Polara pedal.

Comment

I am a Grail fan, personally. But can't hate the 'Zilla either.

TC electronics is also hard to argue with any day, in any size.

Also the Digitech Hardwaire is a good consideration.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have the Biyang Baby Boom Reverb RV-10

It is the only reverb pedal I have ever had as most amps have it built in

I like it better than most amp reverbs

lush and stereo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The EHX Holy Grail is an awesome pedal–just gonna throw that out there

Comment

I'm looking into the Boss RV-6. New pedal and it seems to be their take on the Verbzilla. I wish I wouldn't have sold my verbzilla ...
                      -Greg

Guitars:
                      2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                      2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                      2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                      Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I use the EDQ Afterneath for both because it creates a swarm of short delay for short Hall through to endless Plate style reverbs and cavernous, short rhythmic delays, and self-oscillate back into itself.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies you guys. I've been doing more internet lurking, mostly on YouTube, and I have to admit I'm even more confused than before. LOL.

I've heard some great demos of the Big Sky, Space, HoF, EDQ Afterneath, the digitech hardwire, the digitech supernatural (it was in a reverb shootout or I wouldn't have even heard it...sounded surprisingly good to my ears). I have to admit that the Space sounded a bit cold (ha ha) in most of the demos I heard, but that could be user adjustment? The EDQ is a fine sounding pedal too. The Verbzilla is definitely a good pedal and it's worked for me for a long time, but as I said it's been acting funky so I'd like to go with something else.

This is tougher than I thought it would be...all the stuff out there available is like an embarrassment of riches. Maybe at the end of the day any of them would work but since I could end up spending $500 on a pedal I want to make sure I do it right the first time if I can. I can end up covering a lot of ground with a reverb but essentially I NEED a good spring and plate. I wish I had some more options to try in person but the suggestions are helping me do research. That being said I heard some demos on the Red Panda Context as well. Anyone have any experience with that one?
                          Last edited by Farkus; 10-12-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I really liked the Supernatural. But I think you're right...there are a TON of good verb and delay pedals on the market.

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The old Hardwire RV-7 or the Supernatural are great verbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X