Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas for reverb pedal for new board

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
    Thanks for all the replies you guys. I've been doing more internet lurking, mostly on YouTube, and I have to admit I'm even more confused than before. LOL.

I've heard some great demos of the Big Sky, Space, HoF, EDQ Afterneath, the digitech hardwire, the digitech supernatural (it was in a reverb shootout or I wouldn't have even heard it...sounded surprisingly good to my ears). I have to admit that the Space sounded a bit cold (ha ha) in most of the demos I heard, but that could be user adjustment? The EDQ is a fine sounding pedal too. The Verbzilla is definitely a good pedal and it's worked for me for a long time, but as I said it's been acting funky so I'd like to go with something else.

This is tougher than I thought it would be...all the stuff out there available is like an embarrassment of riches. Maybe at the end of the day any of them would work but since I could end up spending $500 on a pedal I want to make sure I do it right the first time if I can. I can end up covering a lot of ground with a reverb but essentially I NEED a good spring and plate. I wish I had some more options to try in person but the suggestions are helping me do research. That being said I heard some demos on the Red Panda Context as well. Anyone have any experience with that one?
    The Context only has plate reverb (no spring).
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

If you are serious about both plate and spring you should prob get two dedicated pedals. The Catalinbread Talisman is based on a real plate reverb and the Catalinbread Topanga is based on an outboard spring unit. Theres also the SubDecay Super Spring Theory which is closer to a Fender Combo Amp Verb. Those 3 pedals are some of the most convincing ones out there that I've come across.
      Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 10-18-2015, 04:51 PM.
      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
      Roland Cube 60
      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I auditioned several reverbs recently and came home with the Strymon Flint. Pretty simple to operate and limited "voicings" but I was concentrating on a plate reverb setting for my primary use. It's middle of the road in price (to me). Plus, it comes with a bonus tremolo pedal in the same housing, which never thought I'd use, but I've ended up using it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't rule out Behringer. Especially if the price is right. Their multi effects units include some killer reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Don't rule out Behringer. Especially if the price is right. Their multi effects units include some killer reverb.
            While I don't use any Behringer products anymore I will second this!

Comment

I was looking at the Eventide H9 after it was mentioned. How many effects can be used on it at a time? More than one?

I am going to a great shop this weekend that carries strymon and Eventide in stock so I'm looking forward to trying some in person. After all the reviews I'm leaning toward these.
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I don't like the Hall of Fame pedals. Even with the mix knob I can never seem to find a level of mix that sounds or feels natural. If you're looking in that price range-ish (Within 50 dollars give or take) I would highly recommend the Digitech Polara if you want a subtler/more natural verb and the Boss RV-6 if you are looking for a longer/ambient/strymonesque verb.

If you are looking for something that is just a direct replacement with a few tonal steps up from the Verbzilla I would go for the Polara, even if I absolutely hate the aesthetics of the pedal.

I mean, we could all just recommend you the Strymon Big Sky but I don't know if you want to spend 400 dollars on a reverb pedal.
                Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                Andrew - None

Comment

Whilst not cheap, the Neanuber Wet is awesome. Nowhere near as expensive as the Strymon or Eventide though.

Comment

Well my wallet feels much lighter but I walked away with a Big Sky. It was maybe the most obvious choice but to be honest I really didn't want to spend that much. However the minute I played it I knew it felt right. Lots of options and I really like the way it interacts with the basic tone. Thanks for all the advice guys!
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Congrats! You shall never want for reverb now!
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
                        Well my wallet feels much lighter but I walked away with a Big Sky. It was maybe the most obvious choice but to be honest I really didn't want to spend that much. However the minute I played it I knew it felt right. Lots of options and I really like the way it interacts with the basic tone. Thanks for all the advice guys!
                        It's a fantastic pedal. Every time I've played with one of strymon's bigger pedals I walk away thinking 'wow, there's something really special here'. Congrats on the awesome pedal!
                        Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                        I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                        Andrew - None

Comment

If you can't find a sound in the Big Sky you like, then you don't like Reverb...good choice.

My personal faves have been the Mr. Black Eterna, and right now, I'm really liking the Hungry Robots Little Gazer.
                          Originally posted by jeremy
                          God hates bad guitar tone
                          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Lovepedal has a great reverb pedal out now HSR-3. I got one and its has 3 modes and a tone control.

Comment

Working...
                            X