Sonic Maximizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Maximizer

Just out of curiosity, as I just recently brought mine out of retirement (a 481i) and am running it in the effects loop of a Randall RG100es into a 4x12 Randall half stack loaded with Jaguars ((2 of them slightly damaged, previous owner kicked them to get a distorted sound)). It makes the combination sound positively massive.) I was wondering if anyone else out there runs them in their rig?

Re: Sonic Maximizer

I love mine. Both rackmount and pedal versions. I use for bass all the time live. It's good for the PA and the full mix as well for problem venues.
    sigpic

Comment

I used to when I had a rack setup. I haven't recently because my modeler doesn't have a loop. Otherwise I would run one.

Comment

I'm considering running one of the channels on mine for bass. I love what it's done for the guitar. At least once I read the owners manual and found out that it's a line level effect. Before, using it in through the front end, it sounded horrible.

Comment

Had one for about 2 days before I brought it back, couldn't stand it. Only piece of gear I returned that wasn't broken
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

If anyone is looking for a Sonic Stomp (v1), PM me. I got one for sale.

(sorry for the plug)
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

They re good if you're going for that razor sharp, bombastic, synthetic sounding Rammstein/Fear Factory tone.
              Stay away if you want warmth, touch sensitivity or anything resembling organic.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Everyone goes through a phase where they try one, most people eventually move on. I did like it for the old acoustic electric I had that only had a single tone control. It really helped shape the tone on that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                  They re good if you're going for that razor sharp, bombastic, synthetic sounding Rammstein/Fear Factory tone.
                  Stay away if you want warmth, touch sensitivity or anything resembling organic.
                  I think that's why I like it.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread!! Ive been curious about these for years. I played one in a music store once and the way it thickened things up and made it punch you in the face was awesome... Ive never bought one cuz its something I didnt really need enough to part with the cash. Plus, I thought maybe it wasnt all that because it doesnt seem like alot of guys whose tones I like are using them. But its always been in the back of my mind and Ive wondered why more guys dont use them.?? So Ill learn something here. Am I taking whats been said correctly that its not good for a nice organic tone and more like an artificial driver??
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I like what it does to the clean sound, as well as running it with full out brutal gain. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        But its always been in the back of my mind and Ive wondered why more guys dont use them.?? So Ill learn something here. Am I taking whats been said correctly that its not good for a nice organic tone and more like an artificial driver??
                        Watch this video, it explains them in excellent detail

Comment

The rackmount BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer is the SDOTD for $79

Musician's Friend adds a fresh Stupid Deal of the Day every day. These deals are in limited quantities so act now to get the best deals across every instrument category.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                            Watch this video, it explains them in excellent detail
                            https://youtu.be/LosL-gdHLpk
                            Interesting video. I agree that some people might be better served with a good eq instead. However, the reviewer only seemed to touch upon the phase shift. He mentioned that it allows the bass frequencies to arrive at the ear just a tad faster than the treble range. I think this has more significance in the way the overall sound is perceived.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I like what it does to the clean sound, as well as running it with full out brutal gain. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

On cleans I like to use it just below the point that I can hear it. Usually i turn the knob at the moment i can start to hear it effect my tone I back it off a notch and a half.

I dont run one anymore mostly because I hate having to carry a rack around but back when i was running my JCM900 4100 that amp was pretty toppy on its own and for modern metal just lacked thumped and balls. The BBE gave it that attitude that it needed to go from hair metal to thrash metal.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X