MINI Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MINI Pedals

There are a bunch of companies that are making mini pedals for guitar players.

Some are as good sounding as full size pedals...

Do you feel this is a trend that SD's pedals should follow?

Give more space on pedal board or to see it differently, small sized boards that weigh less!
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Re: MINI Pedals

I'm not convinced. Small pedals seems fun and making more space in Pb, but in fact they make a lot of mess and are not comfortable to switch while live playing. Because of minimizing the enclosure some components needs to be replaced by SMD ones, so it changes the sound a bit (imo). I've tried TS mini and Handwired One (the most expensive) and difference was so huge.... even if you say that's only JRC and some caps and resistors
    Need of FUZZ ?
    Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
      Small pedals [...] are not comfortable to switch while live playing.
      Agreed. Big-time. At least most of the time for me.

Originally posted by czarokrates View Post
      Because of minimizing the enclosure some components needs to be replaced by SMD ones, so it changes the sound a bit (imo). I've tried TS mini and Handwired One (the most expensive) and difference was so huge.... even if you say that's only JRC and some caps and resistors
      Surface mount does not necessarily mean worse sound if the pedal was originally designed with those components in mind in the first place. The Tube Screamer was not, so yeah, the TS Mini ought to sound different from the full-on TS because the Mini is actually trying to be a full-sized 808. The MXR GT-OD also has surface mount components, though. It definitely does not sound dead-on like a TS808, but it was not intended to. It sounds noticeably different, but not worse at all.

AFAIK, the fancy schmancy Boss Waza Craft pedals also have surface mounted components.

Surface mount does mean less mod-ability, however, if you're into that sort of thing.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-20-2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Yup, if the original design was built around smd components then sound quality doesn't necessarily suffer. What needs to be done is the jack sockets & if possible the pots too need to be non pcb mounted thereby increasing the durabilty as well as easing up their change when one goes bad.

TC Electronics seems to be coming out with a bunch of mini pedals lately.

Comment

I don't think I'd want a whole pedal board full of them, but having one or two hasn't cause me a lot of problems from the ease of switching point of view.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
            I don't think I'd want a whole pedal board full of them, but having one or two hasn't cause me a lot of problems from the ease of switching point of view.
            but when you have not much space and it need to be switched between bigger stompboxes it can be a problem.
            Need of FUZZ ?
            Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Option A is to elevate them for easier access in a jungle of large boxes, option B is to set it and forget it. I currently have 3, EP booster, Hall of Fame Mini, Malekko mini Compressor. All three I leave on for an entire song (or more) so no tap dancing.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I disagree that smd means you can't mod it... Just a little less space but everything works the same.

I think the format has a lot of potential for unconvential uses... For example you can fit a 3-band echoplex-based preamp in one of them if you leave out the footswitch. So, an excellent option as a compact low cost EQ for the solder-inclined acoustic player.

Similarly they work well for simple circuits like distortion and fuzz pedals, so you can fit full-sized components for more authentic recreations of those circuits.

I have also seen them used at a 4-output power supply so they are a great option for a lightweight/grab and go board.

As far as dedicated stomp boxes go, they're a servicable option. I personally prefer larger pedals but the smaller guys aren't by any means a bad option
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Working...
                X