NPD Mad Professor "1"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Mad Professor "1"

Just got this in today, a Mad Professor "1". I had it before (was using different guitars at the time), sold it and immediately regretted it (along with selling it with a Golden Cello, already replaced that one.) Looking forward to running my Fender Strat with Fat 50's thru this thru my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!

EDIT: Plugged it in last night and it was even better than I remember! Great pedal, I highly recommend it!

Last edited by treyhaislip; 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM.

Re: NPD Mad Professor "1"

What is it?

Comment

Let me Google that for you...

"Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Cool! Always wanted to A/B that to the Pinnacle.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
          What is it?
          Ha! It is an awesome

Here's the description from Mad Professor:

“1” IS A DISTORTION/REVERB PEDAL DESIGNED TO PROVIDE THE SOUGHT AFTER “BROWN” GUITAR SOUND OF THE LATE 70’S EARLY 80’S, WHEN PLAYED THROUGH A CLEAN AMPLIFIER.

Like that legendary tone, this pedal produces intense drive while retaining high definition. The pedal also includes a built in reverb circuit to add ambience and depth to your sound.

“1”’s gain ranges from medium to very heavy distortion. The amount can be easily controlled via the volume control of your guitar. (Input impedance is set to facilitate this, and is somewhat negated if a buffer or buffered effect is used ahead of “1”.)

The Brown knob controls the amount and harmonic overtones of the distortion. Getting the exact tonal quality is the key to this legendary sound and “1”’s Brown and Presence controls help it appropriately interface with a wide variety of pickups and amplifiers.

“1”’s built in Reverb circuit with a Level control for setting the ambience. The sound is modeled after the studio reverb found on classic recordings from the 80’s. The decay time is preset so as not to mess the rhythm of your playing. The preset decay time and tone can be modified with trimmers inside the pedal.

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
          Let me Google that for you...

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Cool! Always wanted to A/B that to the Pinnacle.
          I have zero experience with Wampler pedals so don't know how they fare. I currently use 3 Mad Professor Pedals ("1", Golden Cello and Stone Grey Distortion) and put them up there with the best I've used.

Comment

Congrats!!! I was intrigued by these when they came out.. I really want something to get the "brown"sound.. Does it achieve it? I have a couple of other pedals that are supposed to, but they dont hit the mark..
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              Congrats!!! I was intrigued by these when they came out.. I really want something to get the "brown"sound.. Does it achieve it? I have a couple of other pedals that are supposed to, but they dont hit the mark..
              Thanks!

Well, I was born in '88 so I'm not an expert on the "brown sound" lol I would say it gets some of the awesome medium distorted sound I associate with the early 80's BUT I would not say it is Van Halen in a box by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the description by MP is a little misleading, it has high definition on single notes but when playing chords it seems to get muddy (the Stone Grey Distortion is super high definition with chords.)

Comment

IIRC these were on sale over at musicians friend or something for $50 a pop. I saw a psa over on TGP about it. I was tempted but I need another dirt pedal like I need a hole in Philadelphia's defense Sunday night. E.g. It would be nice but doesn't impact my quality of living directly.

I kind of stopped using reverb years ago, just relying on delay instead. IMO reverb is excellent when used well, it's just really hard to do tastefully.

I do like the EVH Brown sound though so fwiw this seems like a really cool pedal.
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                  IIRC these were on sale over at musicians friend or something for $50 a pop. I saw a psa over on TGP about it. I was tempted but I need another dirt pedal like I need a hole in Philadelphia's defense Sunday night. E.g. It would be nice but doesn't impact my quality of living directly.

I kind of stopped using reverb years ago, just relying on delay instead. IMO reverb is excellent when used well, it's just really hard to do tastefully.

I do like the EVH Brown sound though so fwiw this seems like a really cool pedal.
                  As a Cowboys fan I love the part of the Eagles

The Reverb is a nice added feature...I've toyed with it on and off and haven't reached a verdict yet.

I like it for a warmer sounding gain, compliments the Stone Grey extremely well and offers a different warm drive sound to than the Golden Cello.

Comment

I have a Fender EVH 5150iii but I also have a stomp box addiction..
                    Please talk me down people! I know I don't need this at all but i wan't it so bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
                      Please talk me down people! I know I don't need this at all but i wan't it so bad!
                      I should post a clip of my horrible playing with it...that will make you not want it

Comment

You could save up for an awesome modulation or delay pedal if you forgo the Mad Prof.
                        Originally posted by Myaccount876
                        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                          You could save up for an awesome modulation or delay pedal if you forgo the Mad Prof.
                          I'd still buy this lol!
                          I'm looking for a new delay pedal though. I am trying to figure out what I want?

Comment

I'd still buy this lol!
                            I'm looking for a new delay pedal though. I am trying to figure out what I want?
                            Originally posted by Myaccount876
                            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                              OR you can save up for both and be doubly happy! lol

I'd still buy this lol!
                              I've yet to find a delay that jived with me...I'm more of a reverb type of guy...delays sound awesome when others use them but not me.

Comment

Working...
                              X