NPD! MXR Dyna Comp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NPD! MXR Dyna Comp.

Well, these things have a learning curve.

Tried it with my Strat yesterday before my OD and daaaamn. It adds balls. Didn't turn it off for an hour or so, haha! It's just so hard to get the right setting. And maybe due to the lower output of these pickups, the squish and release was a lot more subtle.
    Roll the volume back on the guitar a bit to take some edge off, but it retains the output and just goes BIG for playing some mean Deep Purple. Goddamn I liked it that way.

Also, in my short experience, the Dyna Comp does NOT like humbuckers. Clean it just crapifies them. Split it works a lot better. Only useful for everlasting overdriven leads with HBs.

I also like how it looks and the Marshall ED1 is quite ugly. So it's staying for a few more days.
    Last edited by Diego; 10-24-2015, 06:07 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

80's = Single coil through cranked Dyna.

Honestly, the BOSS CS-3 is much more flexible.

The Ed is pretty cool.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        so is it all the black label cs-3's or just some?
        The circuit change happened in the early 90s, so all of the black label CS-3s should have the dbx VCA.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Compressors LOVE single coils, especially the older circuits (Ross, Dynacomp). Humbuckers tend to compress the signal a bit anyway so at best you won't notice much of a difference and at worst it'll just make your signal dark and kind of crappy.

My favourite way to use a compressor is a bit unconventional, but worth trying. I place my compressor after my gain pedals, meaning that I still get the dynamics and control of the distortion pedal, while still having the signal benefits of a compressor.

I find most overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals sound best going into a loud amp BECAUSE of the compression that the speaker/circuit/tubes provide, and a compressor pedal places after a gain pedal helps to simulate that and make it 'feel' like it's playing into a much louder amp. Compressors are one of my favourite recording and practice tools for that reason, used lightly they can simulate the sound and feel of a much louder setup at a fairly low volume.
          Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
          I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
          Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
            Compressors LOVE single coils, especially the older circuits (Ross, Dynacomp). Humbuckers tend to compress the signal a bit anyway so at best you won't notice much of a difference and at worst it'll just make your signal dark and kind of crappy.

My favourite way to use a compressor is a bit unconventional, but worth trying. I place my compressor after my gain pedals, meaning that I still get the dynamics and control of the distortion pedal, while still having the signal benefits of a compressor.

I find most overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals sound best going into a loud amp BECAUSE of the compression that the speaker/circuit/tubes provide, and a compressor pedal places after a gain pedal helps to simulate that and make it 'feel' like it's playing into a much louder amp. Compressors are one of my favourite recording and practice tools for that reason, used lightly they can simulate the sound and feel of a much louder setup at a fairly low volume.
            I'll test that tomorrow and will let you know.

Comment

After years of trying many compressors and simply not getting along with them, I recently purchased a plain-Jane Dyna Comp, got a 10% off deal on a new, open-box unit from Sweetwater. My plan was to build a special little board with the sole purpose of imitating Jamie West-Oram's sounds with The FIXX. After a day of playing around with it, I loved it so much I pulled the seldom-used fuzz off my main board and put the Dyna Comp #1 in line, before my BB Preamp. I think the DC will become a permanent part of the board.

It's not clean or transparent or pure, but DAMN... it does the Dyna Comp sound better than anything. In my case, that means Jamie West-Oram, Andy Summers, James Honeyman-Scott, and Robbie McIntosh's tones from the '80s.

Last edited by Rich_S; 10-26-2015, 11:01 AM.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Yikes, I've got a CE-2 as well. What are the odds? Great pedal!

EDIT: I'm using the DC just with my Strat, but I'm not really sure what for. I just like that it balances the strings, and with sensitivity around 10 o' clock the squish is still there but it doesn't go back and forth as noticeably.

Great stuff before my OD. With humbuckers it just gives me mad sustain for leads and that's good enough for me.
                Last edited by Diego; 10-26-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X