X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falloffthebonetone
    replied
    Re: NPD! MXR Dyna Comp.

Yep, that's where I heard to put it. I run it 2nd from my guitar, just past my tuner. I like cranking it so every note will sustain forever and then messing around with volume swells. Otherwise I set it pretty low and leave it on for bass and guitar, sometimes off for guitar. I got a Keeley 4 knob though.

Leave a comment:

• Diego
    replied

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Congrats!

I used to have the Custom Comp, which is like the Dyna Comp with some added tweakability. I loved it with single coils and lower output humbuckers to add shimmer and consistency to clean arpeggio stuff. I also used for bass (both clean and overdriven) to even out the notes and give them a sledgehammer-like attack. I ran it in front always. Never really tried it in the loop, honestly.

I remember it struggled a bit to reach unity gain with higher output humbuckers (and sometimes bass), so I ran the output level knob either cranked or pretty high all of the time.

The MXR family of compressors has a really neat kinda squashed tight-sounding signature sound to them that's pretty cool for country chicken picking and singing, sustaining clean stuff, or punchy funky percussive clean stuff. Never used it much for distorted leads, but I imagine it'd give them a cool singing sustain. Watch out for feedback and hiss if you're using it in front of gain, though!
    It definitely has potential for disaster in loud situations if not careful. Plenty of squish in this thing even at low settings, which is how I'm running it.
    Output level is set very high in the pedal and my pickups are pretty tame actually, so you're more than right on this one.

30 minutes is hardly enough to master one of these things, but so far so good, loving it. I'm still getting used at how it interacts with the volume knob on my guitars (or better put, how it does NOT interact )

It does add sustain and fatness to distorted leads. This is a great tool to have, without a question.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
    I've never tried it in the effects loop (not what you wanted to hear) because I thought it would amplify any noise from earlier on. So any noise from your guitar, effects pedals, and the amp's gain stages would be louder. Maybe it would be different for a rack mount unit versus a pedal.

Just a thought.
    Increased noise happens as a result of makeup gain on the compressor; it doesn't matter if it's a pedal or rack unit.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

Congrats!

I used to have the Custom Comp, which is like the Dyna Comp with some added tweakability. I loved it with single coils and lower output humbuckers to add shimmer and consistency to clean arpeggio stuff. I also used for bass (both clean and overdriven) to even out the notes and give them a sledgehammer-like attack. I ran it in front always. Never really tried it in the loop, honestly.

I remember it struggled a bit to reach unity gain with higher output humbuckers (and sometimes bass), so I ran the output level knob either cranked or pretty high all of the time.

The MXR family of compressors has a really neat kinda squashed tight-sounding signature sound to them that's pretty cool for country chicken picking and singing, sustaining clean stuff, or punchy funky percussive clean stuff. Never used it much for distorted leads, but I imagine it'd give them a cool singing sustain. Watch out for feedback and hiss if you're using it in front of gain, though!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-21-2015, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diego
    replied

Just tried it that way. No good. This amp has a line level FX loop so it's very hot and the Dyna Comp can't match the output volume even cranked.
    So that application is for studio-grade compressors, not this one.

I'm LOVING IT in front of all pedals so far. Lots of juice and harmonics for solos, cleans stay cleaner when playing, using coil splits keeps volumes even, as does changing from my Ibanez to my Strat.

How could I ever gig without one of these? Holy crap.

Leave a comment:

• TeleJr24
    replied

I've never tried it in the effects loop (not what you wanted to hear) because I thought it would amplify any noise from earlier on. So any noise from your guitar, effects pedals, and the amp's gain stages would be louder. Maybe it would be different for a rack mount unit versus a pedal.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Diego
    started a topic NPD! MXR Dyna Comp.

NPD! MXR Dyna Comp.

So uh... how do I use this thing? Hahahaha. 100% impulse buy!

I know you can use these to even out clean guitar runs (compressor in front of everything else), but I remember having great results using a compressor in a FX Loop, so that volume wouldn't drop when rolling back the volume knob from the guitar in a distorted amp.

This made the rig way more useful because cleans stayed clean and in front.

How do you use your compressor? Keep in mind I'd like to see some uses in dirty settings.
    Would you try it in front or in the loop? I'll be testing both now, but curious to get your impressions as well.
Working...
X