X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The worst pedal you've ever owned?

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    This thing:

Maybe if I had an all-tube amp to run it through it would've sounded good, but I couldn't even use it as a boost into an MP-1. I did run it into the Return of a solid state head, but found it weaker than weak. Maybe it was a bad unit, I'll never know as I sold it many years ago.
    Your image isn't working, so I'm having to guess which version this is. Your description sounds a lot like the Chandler rack Tube Driver I used to have, and I agree that it sounded weak used as a preamp. Cascaded into a Big Muff (like David Gilmour does), into a Mesa Studio Preamp, or into the front of my bro's JMP 2203, it was amazing. I always thought of it as a really versatile rack-mounted overdrive pedal rather than a rack preamp.

Regarding boosting an ADA MP-1, I've yet to find anything that sounded generally good in that role. A tube screamer wasn't bad, but it always seemed fuzzy an indistinct IMO.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, I figured that image would get pulled. Found it on Google.

Found this pic of the one I sold some years ago, buried in the depths of a 2TB drive

Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

Found this pic of the one I sold some years ago, buried in the depths of a 2TB drive

Yep that is the unit I have. In the loop of the JC120 it sounded anemic. Infront of the amp it sounded fantastic. The reason there are 5 million distortion pedals is we all have different tastes and styles. I am sure there is someone out there getting a killer tone with a Metal Zone, I wouldn use one for a door stop. I swear by my original MXR+ I love the graininess, but others might think it sounds like a box of bees. I think the answers here are a bit off. People are describing pedals that didn't work for them vs pedals that are faulty in some way, not that there is anything wrong with that. I have done it in the past. Now I tend to look at a piece of gear objectively and think it might not work for me but someone else might love it.

Comment

Securb, your "to each his own" approach is hard to disagree with. That's why I mentioned the Digitech Tone Driver - I doubt many people could find an OD pedal that struggles to reach unity gain useful.
          Other than that, I sometimes love "bad sounds". For example, many Muff-style pedals sound "bad" in a really cool way to my ears. One just needs to find a way to use a piece of gear. Many have said this before: the older I get, the better I am at getting something I like from just about any piece of equipment...

Comment

All the ones not supported by Seymour Duncan anymore!
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

That's the one. Pretty cool if you think of it as an OD / Dist pedal, and really disappointing as a preamp.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                What did you expect a clock radio to sound like, anyway?

Hooooooooolyyyyy $hiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!

I REMEMBER that thing!!!

I was taking lessons at a place owned and operated by a drummer (of course) and he would try to sell that thing to me religiously...twice a week.

He's like "You like Steve Vai right??" "Steve Vai uses this thing."

:/

Stop it.

I really think that thing was for keyboard players.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I'm gonna throw THIS bad oscar into the mix.

Granted...in the pedals defense, I was trying to sound like Metallica through a Crate 2x8 solid state chorus amp

Aaaaaaah...1988. I will never forget you.
                  For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

The TS10 wasn't that bad! A little ugly maybe...

Comment

I liked my TS10 better than my 9.

Both had equally sucky switches though.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Redhorn View Post
                        Easily Digitech death metal. Such crap. Impossible to find a good tone on it. I still have it though bc it makes me laugh bc its so terrible
                        Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        I've never tried one, and I find the idea of a Death Metal distortion pedal WITH NO GAIN KNOB simply hysterical.
                        Today only! (11/6/15) Get your own Digitech Death Metal pedal for the low, low price of $29.95!
                        Musician's Friend adds a fresh Stupid Deal of the Day every day. These deals are in limited quantities so act now to get the best deals across every instrument category.
                        Attached Files
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Stix View Post
                          The TS10 wasn't that bad! A little ugly maybe...
                          Well, like I said. I was trying to to get "screaming" tone out of a Crate 2 x 8 solid state chorus amp.

I was 13. There was no way that was going to work.

Comment

Yeah, makes sense. When I was 13, I had the talent to make any pedal sound bad. 😃
                            Tubescreamer pedals are so common that I sometimes forget what a misleading name that is. There are no tubes in them and they're not what I would call "screaming"...

Comment

Originally posted by Stix View Post
                              Yeah, makes sense. When I was 13, I had the talent to make any pedal sound bad. ��
                              Tubescreamer pedals are so common that I sometimes forget what a misleading name that is. There are no tubes in them and they're not what I would call "screaming"...
                              Haha! Awesome!

I think the Suhr Riot should be called a tube screamer–it makes my Hot Rod Deluxe scream like crazy! What I get out of the Riot is what I expected out of the Tube Screamer...sounds good but I definitely agree the name is misleading in my mind

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                                Well, like I said. I was trying to to get "screaming" tone out of a Crate 2 x 8 solid state chorus amp.

I was 13. There was no way that was going to work.
                                I had one of those amps for a quick minute. The only way to get a screaming tone with that amp would be to drop it on your drummer's foot.

Comment

Working...
                                X