• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied
    Re: Using a EQ peda;???

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Ah, the EQ. Pooh-poohed and ignored everywhere it goes...
    This made me lol.

You are probably one of the few people on this forum that REALLY uses the EQ to sculpt your tone. I have a question of for you.

I know you have rack-mounted EQs; do you use an EQ pedal as well when tone-cloning? And do you use your EQ in series, after the mic pre, or as outboard after you have recorded the guitar part when it's 'close enough'.

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

You can also use it for tone-shaping by getting more extreme with the settings. Boost the 1, 3, 5 and 7 sliders to max and cut the 2, 4, and 6 sliders to their lowest point, play with the Level. Invert that arrangement (even numbered max, odd numbered min). You can also use it just for cut and not for boost - reduce the odd numbered sliders and leave the even-numbered at center, etc.

Not all settings will be useful for constant use, obviously, but may work better for accent/background/layered stuff.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied

Ah, the EQ. Pooh-poohed and ignored everywhere it goes... but is unquestionably one of the most important pieces
    in your arsenal.

The old-school trick is to bust up the mids with a "frown" curve... so the whole thing looks like an upside-down smile.

Mid freq's play very well with the electric guitar and if you accentuate them, you can get a sweet singing tone
    that starts at the fundamental upon first pluck with the pick... then over time, it changes into higher-order harmonics
    (aka feedback).

And when you're in the studio recording, you can sort of reverse the curve to balance things out if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

i dont use mine in the loop, but i do like it to fatten up a telecaster for a fat, jazzy clean sound into a fender amp and also to add some meat after a tubescreamer or sd-1. Its all flat, but with a small bump at 200 and 800hz.

Leave a comment:

• tman
    started a topic Using a EQ peda;???

Using a EQ peda;???

Hey guys I just started using an EQ pedal and I'm still getting used to dialing in a nice sound.I'm running it through effects loop because it sounds the best to me that way.My question is it's a 7 band EQ pedal and I would appreciate it if anybody that uses one could post pics on here of your settings just so I can get a general baseline to start with and then tweak it to my ear. Thanks
Working...
X