Using a EQ peda;???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a EQ peda;???

Hey guys I just started using an EQ pedal and I'm still getting used to dialing in a nice sound.I'm running it through effects loop because it sounds the best to me that way.My question is it's a 7 band EQ pedal and I would appreciate it if anybody that uses one could post pics on here of your settings just so I can get a general baseline to start with and then tweak it to my ear. Thanks

Re: Using a EQ peda;???

i dont use mine in the loop, but i do like it to fatten up a telecaster for a fat, jazzy clean sound into a fender amp and also to add some meat after a tubescreamer or sd-1. Its all flat, but with a small bump at 200 and 800hz.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Ah, the EQ. Pooh-poohed and ignored everywhere it goes... but is unquestionably one of the most important pieces
      in your arsenal.

The old-school trick is to bust up the mids with a "frown" curve... so the whole thing looks like an upside-down smile.

Mid freq's play very well with the electric guitar and if you accentuate them, you can get a sweet singing tone
      that starts at the fundamental upon first pluck with the pick... then over time, it changes into higher-order harmonics
      (aka feedback).

And when you're in the studio recording, you can sort of reverse the curve to balance things out if you like.

Comment

You can also use it for tone-shaping by getting more extreme with the settings. Boost the 1, 3, 5 and 7 sliders to max and cut the 2, 4, and 6 sliders to their lowest point, play with the Level. Invert that arrangement (even numbered max, odd numbered min). You can also use it just for cut and not for boost - reduce the odd numbered sliders and leave the even-numbered at center, etc.

Not all settings will be useful for constant use, obviously, but may work better for accent/background/layered stuff.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Ah, the EQ. Pooh-poohed and ignored everywhere it goes...
          This made me lol.

You are probably one of the few people on this forum that REALLY uses the EQ to sculpt your tone. I have a question of for you.

I know you have rack-mounted EQs; do you use an EQ pedal as well when tone-cloning? And do you use your EQ in series, after the mic pre, or as outboard after you have recorded the guitar part when it's 'close enough'.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

An EQ in the loop is one of the most important tone shaping tools at your disposal. The MXR 10 band is hard to beat, and used prices are very good. You can set a basic sound, and use the EQ to take you to any realm you want. It's fun to mess around with the different frequencies and see what you get. What I do because I play a lot of metal, and I find that raising 125Hz a lot and 250Kz a bit while dropping 1Khz gives you that punch in the chest palm mute sound. There are a million ways you can use an EQ pedal in the loop, I think everyone should have one!

Comment

I play with a very mid heavy sound to begin with, so adding more is a little excessive. On the other hand, the other guitar player in my band plays a very scooped sound. So when he goes for a lead, he uses an eq to boost his mids whilst I use an eq cut my mids and get out of his way.

Comment

I actually have it set to kinda a triangle shape with mids boosted and some airy treble.And the bass is cut down a tad.I have a 7 band but will probably end up getting the 10 band soon. I got that kinda look from a picture of a MXR 6 band adjusted to a Boston Tom Sholtz kinda EQ.

Comment

I use an MXR in the loop also. Great tone shaper/signal booster
                  Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
                  Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
                  Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Comment

Last edited by LLL; 03-23-2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I use mine it the loop, it's pretty flat. I don't use it to shape, it's just there to smooth out my tone.

Comment

What frequency bands are the 7 on yours?

Not all EQs are alike, so copying the settings if the frequency bands are different will not help you.

Comment

100/200/400/800/1.6k/3.2k/6.4k

Comment

I don't like the noise that gets added when I boost frequencies with it, so I just use mine to cut what I don't want.

Comment

I always used my in the effects loop and set the EQ on the amp flat- 5-5-5. The EQ in the loop gave me a lot more control and I could boost the sound the way I liked.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X