banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All kinds of issues at practice last night (Ernie Ball VPjr issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All kinds of issues at practice last night (Ernie Ball VPjr issues)

Last night at practice my Ernie Ball volume pedal was acting funny. Scratchy Pot, seems like not full volume at toe down, and almost like a bad connection at one of the jacks. A quick search shows that the string breaks on this pedal, and sometimes the pot goes bad.

Does anyone else have issues with their VPjr? I'm wondering if I should hit the pot with contact cleaner or if it's going to need a new pot. It seems the process of resetting the string is a pain, has anyone done it and offer tips/hints?

This is in addition to a stomp switch acting funky (not full engagement/disengagement) on my distortion and my wah not working at all. I guess that's what you get when you haven't used any of it in a few months without checking!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: All kinds of issues at practice last night (Ernie Ball VPjr issues)

Hmm, I've never had any problems with mine...can you replace the pot?

Comment

if you can hit the pot with contact cleaner, id do that before replacing the pot. if it doesnt work then i guess youd have to get a new pot

Common questions about ordering custom picks, repairing your volume pedals, becoming an Ernie Ball endorsee, and more.

for the string instructions if you need to do that

Comment

Chances are the contact cleaner will fix you right up, it's great stuff!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

My Dunlop High Gain Volume pedal didn't seem to go all the way to "10" when I first got it. Opened it up and found that at toe-down, the pot still had a little left in it, so I reset the rotation. Now it goes to 10 but heel-down stops at 1 instead of 0. Gonna see if I can trim the treadle pads to make it go silent like it's supposed to.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

I dont have a Jr but I've redone my oldest EB vol pedal. Actually used a no load guitar pot with a different taper to get it to work how I wanted (of course, a guitar pot won't be as rugged, but I'm not smashing my guitars on it). EBs are super easy to fix and tweak.

The way I set the toe up/down was to play around with loosening and tightening the allen screw connecting to the pot shaft as I rocked the pedal to one end or the other.

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys.

Yes, they have replacement pots with roller/cam on the EB site and on retailers like Musicians Friend.

I think I'll hit it with contact cleaner, adjust the string per the website and check the solder connections, those are all easy and cheap fixes. If it needs a new pot I might consider trying a different pedal.

(I wish there was a wah/volume that sounded like my Teese and had a nice volume sweep. Has anyone used the old Mr. Crybaby wah/volume?)
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Has anyone used the old Mr. Crybaby wah/volume?)
                I bought one to replace my 70s Morley PWB. I didn't like the range on the sweep it was too tight not only for wah but volume swells. I ended up replacing it with a Morley Mini Vol/Wah and vould not be happier. It sounds like my 70s Morley PWB and has a very deep range.

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys.

Yes, they have replacement pots with roller/cam on the EB site and on retailers like Musicians Friend.

I think I'll hit it with contact cleaner, adjust the string per the website and check the solder connections, those are all easy and cheap fixes. If it needs a new pot I might consider trying a different pedal.

(I wish there was a wah/volume that sounded like my Teese and had a nice volume sweep. Has anyone used the old Mr. Crybaby wah/volume?)
                  When I was looking at a volume pedal way back when, I thought about getting an EB, but everything I read said that the pots have a tendancy to break down, so much so that EB began selling replacements.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

One of the reasons I love Morley no pots

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      I bought one to replace my 70s Morley PWB. I didn't like the range on the sweep it was too tight not only for wah but volume swells. I ended up replacing it with a Morley Mini Vol/Wah and vould not be happier. It sounds like my 70s Morley PWB and has a very deep range.
                      How does that pedal work? Stomp between volume and wah? How is the sweep for volume, pretty natural? (I use it for swells into chorus/reverb/delay for pad type sounds)
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        One of the reasons I love Morley no pots
                        I think the old Visual Sound VP was the same, no pot nor string...but I could be wrong. I was interested until I saw the price tag and went with a VP Jr, love it.

Comment

How does that pedal work? Stomp between volume and wah? How is the sweep for volume, pretty natural? (I use it for swells into chorus/reverb/delay for pad type sounds)
                          You could try one of the Dunlop volume pedals. Most guitar shops that do electric guitars should have one or two that you can give a shot. They're not in the Crybaby housing and I find that the sweep is a little bigger. I use one of them for an expression pedal.
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Cool...

Also, the wah had a power issue (power supply cable unplugged at the power supply) and Distortion will be repaired under warranty, so those are positives.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There is a button near your heel to switch from wah to vol. I use mine for pad sounds also and violin effects ala La Villa Strangiato. It is a very clean sounding pedal, no pots, no scratchiness. The sweep is very balanced and deep on the wah and the volume. There is also a knob to adjust the range of the pedal depending on your preferences. I have seen people with big feet voice concerns over the size of the pedal but it is not an issue. I have size 10 1/2 - 11 feet and have no problem with it at all. Here is a review I wrote on the mini.

Comment

Working...
                              X