Recommend me a delay pedal, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a delay pedal, please.

There seriously isn't a bad selection in this thread.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      What?! No love for our own Vapor Trail Analog Delay?! You get repeats with the right amount of brightness/darkness, mod controls on the outside, an insert jack that lets you send the delays out to a separate amp or another effect (I like using phaser or another delay in the loop), and a cool blinky blue light? I tell ya, no respect...
      Not to thread jack, but I too am "shopping " for the right delay. I currently have a Carbon Copy which I like alot for what it does, But, Im having a hard time getting the sound Im looking for from it as it's different. Im trying to get the big 80s hair metal fill the venue with my solo awesomeness sound out of it. The setting they recommend is close, and I got it alil closer with adjusting the internal trims. But, I get closer to what Im looking for with my DD7. So does the Vapor trail hit that mark?? Also, have tight budget and dont want a unit that is gigantuous!

Also, Im learning what works best out front vs in the loop. Is delay best served up in the loop? Looks like mixed opinions on that.. Esp with the CC. Thank you! We will now return you to Rex's original thread....
      Last edited by BloodRose; 11-21-2015, 01:31 PM.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ill check out some of the clippage posted when Im not on the clock..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          Not to thread jack, but I too am "shopping " for the right delay. I currently have a Carbon Copy which I like alot for what it does, But, Im having a hard time getting the sound Im looking for from it as it's different. Im trying to get the big 80s hair metal fill the venue with my solo awesomeness sound out of it. The setting they recommend is close, and I got it alil closer with adjusting the internal trims. But, I get closer to what Im looking for with my DD7. So does the Vapor trail hit that mark?? Also, have tight budget and dont want a unit that is gigantuous!

Also, Im learning what works best out front vs in the loop. Is delay best served up in the loop? Looks like mixed opinions on that.. Esp with the CC. Thank you! We will now return you to Rex's original thread....
          80s were mostly dominated by digital rack delays, more than one delay happening too. Set the CC to below 100ms delay time(around 30-60ms ideally), follow it with the dd7 to the time you want(375ms & higher). Having the dd7 in the loop would help, doesn't matter if the CC isn't in the loop with it.

The CC up front with longer delay time can make the white noise at each repeat quite noticeable with high gain preamp. Not to mention the distorted repeats of analog delay can just muddy up with high gain when used in front with long time.

Comment

The Vapor Trail Analog Delay works best either in front of an amp if you get your gain from an overdrive pedal before it, or in the effects loop if you get your gain from a gain channel of the amp. It is not a dark sounding delay (either were those 80s tones), and you have those mod controls on the outside so you don't have to open it up.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
              80s were mostly dominated by digital rack delays, more than one delay happening too. Set the CC to below 100ms delay time(around 30-60ms ideally), follow it with the dd7 to the time you want(375ms & higher). Having the dd7 in the loop would help, doesn't matter if the CC isn't in the loop with it.

Thanks! will give a try!

The CC up front with longer delay time can make the white noise at each repeat quite noticeable with high gain preamp. Not to mention the distorted repeats of analog delay can just muddy up with high gain when used in front with long time.
              Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The Vapor Trail Analog Delay works best either in front of an amp if you get your gain from an overdrive pedal before it, or in the effects loop if you get your gain from a gain channel of the amp. It is not a dark sounding delay (either were those 80s tones), and you have those mod controls on the outside so you don't have to open it up.
              Thanks! If I dont have success with what I have, may give one a try! I usually get my gain from the amp. Just juice it alittle for leads with a pedal

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I think to an old DOD fx90. It has the highly regarded mn3005 chip (bbd) and the circuit is almost the same of Boss DM2. Repeats are little darker and it's still cheap

Inviato dal mio SM-G900F utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

It kinda depends on whether your fx loop is instrument or line level, although a lot are adjustable now. For running in front of an amp, the analog delays will be great, but a loop may be too hot for them and make them distort in a bad way (unless again, it is adjustable or instrument level). The Digitech pedals are great for running in a loop, they are made to run at line level too. You can get the Digidelays for ~$50 now and they sound good on the tape setting but can put some digital noise in your signal if it is running into gain. The Hardwire DL-8 is a great delay, and sounds great and has more headroom than the Digidelay. I haven't tried the Obscura, but the demos I've seen sound great.

I've also seen the T-Rex Tap Tone delay for less than $100 on Reverb, don't know how it compares to the Replica though. There is a Reptile 2 on Reverb for $169.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    It kinda depends on whether your fx loop is instrument or line level, although a lot are adjustable now. For running in front of an amp, the analog delays will be great, but a loop may be too hot for them and make them distort in a bad way (unless again, it is adjustable or instrument level). The Digitech pedals are great for running in a loop, they are made to run at line level too. You can get the Digidelays for ~$50 now and they sound good on the tape setting but can put some digital noise in your signal if it is running into gain. The Hardwire DL-8 is a great delay, and sounds great and has more headroom than the Digidelay. I haven't tried the Obscura, but the demos I've seen sound great.

I've also seen the T-Rex Tap Tone delay for less than $100 on Reverb, don't know how it compares to the Replica though. There is a Reptile 2 on Reverb for $169.
                    Thanks for the info!! Good seeing your round here again. Havent been around much lately eh? That or Im just not hitting the right threads..
                    I can run either way. Havent figured out which is gonna work best. Loop or direct. I have my board separated for direct and a row for loop

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks for the "welcome back", no, I haven't been around much in quite a long time! That post was actually for some of the OP's original questions because I didn't even pay attention to page 2, one of those days... So, glad they helped you out too. For that huge 80's delay thing you are looking for, I would recommend the Digitech DL-8, or the Digidelay for a cheap fix (the DL-8 is better though). Analog delays sound great for a lot of things, but wouldn't be my first choice for the sound you are looking for.

FWIW, I'm using a Zoom G3 in the fx loop of my AMT SS-11 for delay and reverb and it sounds great for what I need, and costs about the same or less than a single delay pedal.

Comment

Ibanez ES-2 Echoshifter.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Thanks for the "welcome back", no, I haven't been around much in quite a long time! That post was actually for some of the OP's original questions because I didn't even pay attention to page 2, one of those days... So, glad they helped you out too. For that huge 80's delay thing you are looking for, I would recommend the Digitech DL-8, or the Digidelay for a cheap fix (the DL-8 is better though). Analog delays sound great for a lot of things, but wouldn't be my first choice for the sound you are looking for.

FWIW, I'm using a Zoom G3 in the fx loop of my AMT SS-11 for delay and reverb and it sounds great for what I need, and costs about the same or less than a single delay pedal.
                          Off all the delay pedals out there, what leads you to recommend that one? I see its been discontinued. (sure there are plenty out there)

I looked and see lots of great reviews of it. But just wondering why you feel its good for 80s metal? The delays I have get good reviews too, but not getting what Im looking for from them. (I dont rule out operator error)
                          Last edited by BloodRose; 11-28-2015, 10:31 AM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have used several over the years...

I like these the most!

Strymon El Capistan

Wampler Tape Echo

Mason ADA-999
                            Last edited by Stratman; 11-28-2015, 10:07 AM.
                            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Off all the delay pedals out there, what leads you to recommend that one? I see its been discontinued. (sure there are plenty out there)

I looked and see lots of great reviews of it. But just wondering why you feel its good for 80s metal?
                              I see that the DL-8 has been discontinued, bummer... I guess they are going for a new "style" with the Obscura and similar pedals. The reason I recommend it for the 80's sounds you are looking for is that it can do those "big" delays really well as well as having a modulation setting and it works great in fx loops which is where you want to put it for those sounds. It also sounds a lot better than the Boss delays IMHO, of course, as with everything, YMMV.

The TC Flashback is a great delay too FWIW.

Comment

Thanks again for the info! Never tried modulation before... They are discontinued, but the good news is that there are a bunch out there still! I hope this will do the trick. I really want to be able to nail a good 80s hair tone. Ive got an amp thats perfectly capable. Just gotta get that "venue filling" tone.. haha Then, I have to get the most important part ready.. me... Thats gonna be the most difficult part Im afraid..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X