MXR ISO Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR ISO Brick

Not in the market for a supply but I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these things. It seems pretty interesting. I'm not an electronic tech but I can only think of two ways to get isolated outputs. One is separate transformers or multiple secondaries. The other, I think it can be done with optocouplers. There may be numerous other ways that I have no clue about. The ISO Brick uses a single 18Vdc supply, so one transformer/secondary. But the outputs are supposed to be truly isolated. Unlike the regular MXR Brick, or those cheap supplies that also use a wall wart.

At any rate, aside from the tech stuff that I don't know much about anyway, I'm curious if anyone is using one of these or knows anything about them. Price is real good for the number of outputs, voltage options and current available IF it works well. And it's small.
    Last edited by Darg1911; 11-09-2015, 03:25 AM.

Re: MXR ISO Brick

That should help with some info on this. I think the new visual sound 1spot pro units are also based around similar/same concept.

Comment

Thanks Hank. I found that site with more searching after I posted this. I think time will tell when more user reviews are available. But, if I needed a supply with that many outputs, I think I would buy one from a place with easy return policy and give it a try. It looks like a pretty well thought out box. May need a work around for the wall wart supply with the short cord but other than that ...

Comment

Actually I was just about to ask this.

Which one is produce less noise Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 or MXR ISO Brick? Is there much difference as noise-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          Thanks Hank. I found that site with more searching after I posted this. I think time will tell when more user reviews are available. But, if I needed a supply with that many outputs, I think I would buy one from a place with easy return policy and give it a try. It looks like a pretty well thought out box. May need a work around for the wall wart supply with the short cord but other than that ...
          Yeah, you get a aftermarket adapter with a longer cord or extend the cord on it & correct the polarity as well & use it as a substitute. It looks cheapish though, i think that link had pics of a bent knob as well.
          Originally posted by zanshin777 View Post
          Actually I was just about to ask this.

Which one is produce less noise Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 or MXR ISO Brick? Is there much difference as noise-wise?
          Hard to say, but the new brick should be quiet enough for most people's use.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            Yeah, you get a aftermarket adapter with a longer cord or extend the cord on it & correct the polarity as well & use it as a substitute. It looks cheapish though, i think that link had pics of a bent knob as well.

Hard to say, but the new brick should be quiet enough for most people's use.
            I saw that but I would hope that would not be typical. It's a board mounted pot that wasn't mounted flush to the board. Shouldn't have passed QC. Personally I would have exchanged it.
            Maybe my expectations are low but it doesn't look that bad. They stuffed a lot of stuff on 3 boards, with a couple small transformers (for isolation I would guess) to get it into a small case. Made in China I would guess. Lots of surface mount stuff but looks like there is some pretty decent filtering. My biggest concern would be heat. Again, I'm not a tech but some of the outputs can deliver some decent current and, unless they are doing something different for regulation that is outside my understanding (which wouldn't be difficult), regulators can get damned hot and I don't see any heat sinks (cant see into the middle of the board). Personally, I could do without the variable voltage but I'd probably still give one a try if I needed that many outlets.

Comment

They may have skipped the heatsink since the current supply is not very high for the outlets. Still not a very good idea, maybe they found a way around the heat dissipation.

I agree, i was expecting more along the lines of pp2+ when i heard an iso brick was in works, this is different & QC seems okay but not excellent

Comment

I'll stick to Voodoo Lab.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                  They may have skipped the heatsink since the current supply is not very high for the outlets. Still not a very good idea, maybe they found a way around the heat dissipation.

I agree, i was expecting more along the lines of pp2+ when i heard an iso brick was in works, this is different & QC seems okay but not excellent
                  They are calling it a "hybrid". So, not a true/pure linear supply. Though they only mention it for the variable voltage outputs, the switching would keep the heat down. But I'm skeptical that some type of switching isn't applied throughout. That would probably change my mind.

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

"Yes—aside from isolating the outputs from each other, we’ve ensured that each fixed voltage output receives a stable, low-noise voltage source by using linear regulators. The variable outputs are regulated by a hybrid design consisting of an adjustable buck regulator and two LC filters—which block switching noise—to simulate the smooth output of an adjustable linear regulator. This was done to minimize heat and power loss in the circuitry while preserving the output characteristics of an adjustable linear power source."
                  Last edited by Darg1911; 11-12-2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X