Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken crybaby 535Q PLEASE HELP!!

Originally posted by guitarfeak View Post
    You could send it to me if possible. I am an electronics technician and I could fix this for you.
    I really might have to take you up on that... How much would you charge?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      Okay i did a quick forum search to see if something like this had happened to anyone else. Here's what i found

I dont think the switch needed replacing since it worked fine before the inductor/cap change. The pcb connected to the switch is probably different design than the joyo pcb, so it may not work here. For replacing the switch you need to desolder it from the small pcb, which is not easy. Hence i didnt post about it earlier cause you might ruin it trying to pry it out the wrong way.

Put the old switch back in, reconnect it correctly then turn your attention back to the inductor & cap job. When checking the input & output sockets for continuity, do it with cables plugged in them & check at the plug ends of both cables.

Again, dont attempt to remove the switch from the small board itself, you will mostly end up ruining it. The problem is still the cap job i think since the old inductor also no longer works.
      So, desolder the new switch, re solder the old one (and I'd have to solder directly to the plug pins at this point) then run 200k ohms between and input and output cord? And then what am I looking for, and looking to fix?

By the way Hank, I really appreciate you not giving up on helping me troubleshoot this. I'm a rookie when it comes to electronics, but I'm doing my best.

Comment

You should practice soldering with some spare bits of wire and try and clean up what you've already done.
        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
          You should practice soldering with some spare bits of wire and try and clean up what you've already done.
          I don't want to be rude, but that suggestion doesn't help me in this situation...

Comment

Originally posted by EuphoriX View Post
            I don't want to be rude, but that suggestion doesn't help me in this situation...
            Likewise, I wasn't trying to be rude, but I think you'd find it would help.
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

So, desolder the new switch, re solder the old one (and I'd have to solder directly to the plug pins at this point) then run 200k ohms between and input and output cord? And then what am I looking for, and looking to fix?

By the way Hank, I really appreciate you not giving up on helping me troubleshoot this. I'm a rookie when it comes to electronics, but I'm doing my best.
              Since its a buffered pedal the continuity for input/output signal needs to be checked when its powered & at the hot/ground connection of the cables plugged into the pedal, tip to tip & sleeve to sleeve. Presently there wasn't anything wrong with the input output connections with the old switch i think. Next, when its back in, check the links i posted earlier & look for the info regarding component failures leading to your wah being changed into a volume pedal.

Before resoldering the wires directly to the pins, do a YouTube/google search on tinning wires when soldering. Your wires have all copper strands floating around, that needs to be done neatly or you will most likely create a short at the pins when soldering there. Divide the strands into two & form a braid pattern, then tin them

Like GV said, practice a few soldering techinques on some spare wires till it ends up being neat otherwise you'll be creating shorts on the pins since they are too close to eachother. Alternatively instead of soldering to the pins, you can buy that plastic connector with wires attached to it & join the old wires to it, should be easier & cleaner. Look up youtube vids on 'soldering pcb through hole components', it worth the effort for now since the solder job is poor & needs improvement badly before proceeding further.

Your actual problem before the switch removal was still the 4.7 cap or the inductor either malfunctioning or not forming a good solder contact or incomplete/broken circuit path. Once the old switch is properly installed, get a new 4.7 value cap & check for continuity on its terminals & following traces, also measure the value of the inductor. Refer to the links I posted earlier.

PS: at this point it really needs to be taken to a tech, maybe someone at the physics lab in college might able to offer some help.
              P.P.S: buy these kind of jumper cables, cut one end & use it join the wires. This should make it a lot cleaner instead of soldering directly to the pins. http://store.jdrones.com/mobile/prod...l11p10red.htm=
              Last edited by Hank-; 11-14-2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Actually it will, because that's the main reason your in this situation in the first place. Don't get your back up, we are here to help, but we can't sugar coat it for you either.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

As of today, I sent everything up to Guitarfreak, who is going to repair the wah, and ship it back. I'm excited to see what he can do with it, and hopefully I'll have my wah pedal back in action soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X