banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
    What exactly is the difference between the RAT 2 and the RAT. is there really any difference? I looked on youtube and I cant tell a difference......
    i think mine is a rat 2.. sound is no different from the original i think.. mine has glow in the dark letters and is a tad smaller.. not sure if there are other differences

Comment

What exactly is the difference between the RAT 2 and the RAT. is there really any difference? I looked on youtube and I cant tell a difference......
      There are actually several versions of the Rat.

From the research I've done, the older Rats had a LM308n Chip as opposed to the OP07 in the Rat 2 and the older ones were made in the USA while the Rat 2 is made in China.

You can get the Rat 2 modded (the JHS Mod sounds aweosme) and I believe you can mod the Rat 2 to be like the original (chagne the OP07 to a LM308n) but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

The Rat 2 sounded awesome to me, just has a different plug in for the power supply than most of my other pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        just has a different plug in for the power supply than most of my other pedals.
        Everyone just has to be different and difficult these days lol....
        sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Everyone just has to be different and difficult these days lol....
          Ha! Yup yup! lol That actually was part of my decision to ultimately get rid of my Rat 2 and Solo. The pedal supply I have is the Boss Style 2.1mm negative tip while the Rat uses a 1/8 male tip. I loved the tone of both but never used them after getting my Suhr Riot and Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion.

I love the 80's sounding drive but just didn't use it in my playing.

Comment

Both Voodoo lab and TRex include the adapter in their power supplies. Also, 1-Spot has an adapter too.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Both Voodoo lab and TRex include the adapter in their power supplies. Also, 1-Spot has an adapter too.
              And I should clarify, both the Rat 2 and Solo can run off of a 9v battery...I just have bad luck so I know the battery would go out on me during a performance lol Which, some of the pedals sound über cool with a dying battery!

Comment

You can find an adapter for whatever Rat, or a battery, no problem.

And we are talking pretty fine hairs here about the various Rats.

Rat 2 is the cheap / easily available one. No REASON other than tone snobbery to get the original.

Solo can do way more than the standard.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Rat 2 is the cheap / easily available one. No REASON other than tone snobbery to get the original.

been meaning to try a rat solo.. i really like my Rat 2. mine was bought in the late 80's so it might differ a tad from the ones sold now.. I Really want to build a modded rat with all the bells and whistles..
                  ive also always wanted the R2DU..
                  just searched ebay and to my surprise.. found it. not worth the price they are askin .. even though the date would fit in nicely with other gear i have from that time period

Comment

I'm in an 80's Hair band
                    irony
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

+1 to this! When I was in middle school I heard a group play and couldn't believe the tone. Talked to the guitar player afterwards and he was using an old Fender Blackface with just a Rat (original Rat.) When I played my Rat 2 through my Hot Rod Deluxe I got the tone I had wanted all of these years. It wasn't exactly identical to what he had but it was dog gone close for a fraction of the cost if I had got all of the gear he had. Also, you can mod the Rat 2 if you want to use the same chips a the original.

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
                      been meaning to try a rat solo.. i really like my Rat 2. mine was bought in the late 80's so it might differ a tad from the ones sold now.. I Really want to build a modded rat with all the bells and whistles..
                      ive also always wanted the R2DU..
                      just searched ebay and to my surprise.. found it. not worth the price they are askin .. even though the date would fit in nicely with other gear i have from that time period
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rat-1990-Pro...EAAOSwPcVV2Mjq
                      You should totally try a Solo...a Rat juiced up with steroids!...and it can still nail the Rat tone as well. Fun pedal just didn't fit with what I'm playing right now.

Comment

As everyone else said... a rat ... otherwise look at AMT pedals or some of the JCM800 in a box pedals and a tubescreamer. If you are on a budget then like at Mooer Black Secret, some of the Joyo stuff, Caline pedals have a crunchbox clone.
                        Gondola Kid
                        Bandcamp
                        Facebook
                        JimijaymesGuitarist
                        Youtube

Comment

I'm using a DS-1 and a MOJO MOJO for oderdrive/distortion, I'm pleased with how they sound, also fairly cheap.

Comment

i currently use an OCD and a DS-1. Once in a while i bust out the Homebrew Full Metal Jacket.
                            Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                            http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Worth noting: The MojoMojo OD and the Dark Matter were designed to stack, and they're about $50 each.

And I like how the MojoMojo sounds by itself... I have a Dark Matter, but I haven't had the opportunity to stack 'em.

See?
                              Last edited by jtougas; 11-17-2015, 11:35 PM.
                              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

MXR Super Badass Distortion is awesome.
                                Guitars:
                                Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
                                Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
                                AMT SS-11B

Comment

Working...
                                X