banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Originally posted by emilio View Post
    MXR Super Badass Distortion is awesome.
    I have seen a few of those on GC used section for fairly cheap. I have a DS-1 and it sounds pretty good through my AC15.
    sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

MXR Dist+
      Rat
      Boss DS-1
      Boss SuperOD to boost the distortion pedal for solos

If you can find one, an Applause Super Distortion. The older one that looks like a Boss pedal. Made by KAMAN at the time. That pedal did not need boosting in front of it. It was the highest-gain pedal I've ever encountered.
      edit: found one on Ebay:
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

Would you recommend the Ratt over the DS-1?

Comment

Originally posted by guitarSQUIRELL View Post
          Would you recommend the Ratt over the DS-1?
          Through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, absolutely. Through your Vox AC15 I don't know as I've not tried that combo. Is there a guitar store nearby you can bring your amp and try out different pedals?

IMO, the Rat is more along the lines of where you are wanting to go...a ProCO Solo would get you the Rat tone and then a WHOLE lot more to dial into

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
            Through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, absolutely. Through your Vox AC15 I don't know as I've not tried that combo. Is there a guitar store nearby you can bring your amp and try out different pedals?

IMO, the Rat is more along the lines of where you are wanting to go...a ProCO Solo would get you the Rat tone and then a WHOLE lot more to dial into
            HA!!!....The nearest music store for pedals here is about 1.5 hours away...and thats in Jackson, MS at the Guitar Center.....I haven't tried the DS-1 in Top Boost channel on my AC15 where I can do a 3 band EQ on it yet.....That may help....

Comment

The old MIJ and early MIT DS-1s sound great, they used a much different chip than the newer ones. I've put an old one and a new side by side and the old ones are much warmer sounding.

If you can solder, try www.generalguitargadgets.com or www.buildyourownclone.com and check out the BSIAB2 or Guv'nor clones. The Marshall Shredmaster is a great pedal too (BYOC has a clone of it).

And yeah, a Rat is great too, can't really go wrong with one.

Comment

Most of you guys using Rats playing through newer ones?? I had a bud years ago, had a JCM800 and juiced it with a rat and sounded awesome! I asked about the age because I thought Id heard a few years back that they changed something where they werent as good. Is that fact or hair (pun intended) splitting??
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Most of you guys using Rats playing through newer ones?? I had a bud years ago, had a JCM800 and juiced it with a rat and sounded awesome! I asked about the age because I thought Id heard a few years back that they changed something where they werent as good. Is that fact or hair (pun intended) splitting??
                  well.. the new ones are made in china with the IC chip that is electronically equivalent to the older chip.. in saying that.. some believe that the newer ones just lacks something or so ive heard

Comment

First off, I'm not much of a distortion pedal guy, I prefer the warmer overdrive pedal. I couldn't stand the original Rat even when it first came out in the 80s. That being said, I do however really like the MXR Distortion that I have. I can't remember which one it is, but I think it's the Distortion +. It has a real nice "pop" to it for lack of a better word. To me it's dry sounding, but it kind of hits the speakers like a cranked up amp, and gives it that clean kind of "pop". I'm horrible at explaining stuff that I hear. It distorts your signal, but it's a nice clean distortion, if that makes any sense.

Comment

There are a few subtle changes to the Rat circuit over the years, but they are pretty similar. But yes, the new Rat 2s are made in China and have a OP-07 opamp instead of the original LM308. Spec-wise the 07 is "better" than the 308, but faster response times and such don't always "sound" better. The chips have the same pinouts, so it's easy to change out (that's what I did with my Rat 2). The other problem with some of the newer MIC Rats is that some of the components aren't as good, especially the pots. The shafts are notorious for pulling out when you try to pull the knobs off, which you have to do to change the chip, so that often means changing the pots when you change the chip 8^P

Basically all Rats ("standard", Turbo, and You Dirty Rat) are the same circuit, just with different clipping diodes. The Turbo had LEDs, the Rat has silicon, and the You Dirty has germanium, so it's possible to take any one of them and make it into all three with a 3-way switch.

FWIW, Nuno's early Extreme stuff was a Rat juicing a JMP master volume.

Comment

Drats! now I want a Rat, but Im going to want to explore the other chip option. haha Where does one get them and are they hard to replace? You said its easy, but is it easy to find ? Pretty much plug and play? meaning no soldering? Im pretty handy but dont want to risk tearing it up. Difference worth the effort?

You said the new ones are pretty similar tho right? the change make it smoother? more gain? Sorry for all the questions. I have a bad habit of not leaving things well enough alone, and dont want to tear it up, but also want to get things the best I can too.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Drats! now I want a Rat, but Im going to want to explore the other chip option. haha Where does one get them and are they hard to replace? You said its easy, but is it easy to find ? Pretty much plug and play? meaning no soldering? Im pretty handy but dont want to risk tearing it up. Difference worth the effort?

You said the new ones are pretty similar tho right? the change make it smoother? more gain? Sorry for all the questions. I have a bad habit of not leaving things well enough alone, and dont want to tear it up, but also want to get things the best I can too.
                          guitar products pedal mods eNut guitar shielding best pedal mods

Scroll down to LM308N. He includes a chip socket.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mod_parts.html
                            Scroll down to LM308N. He includes a chip socket.
                            You Sir, Rock!! Thanks!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

This thread reminds me that I have a rat with diode switching (no germanium though, might have to swap out the 1n4148s for some 1n34a diodes) and a Paul Cochrane fat boostered (basically a jfet mu-amp with an input buffer) populated and ready to throw into an enclosure... Really need to pull out the soldering iron and get that project finished
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Hmm, it was easy for me, but I guess I should qualify that and say I've been soldering for decades and have good tools. The MIC PCB traces will lift if you overheat them, so you do need to be a little careful. It's probably safest to cut the legs off the old chip, then heat the pins and pull them out one at a time. After that, go back and use a solder sucker or solder braid to clean out the holes.

You can also get the chips at www.smallbearelec.com.

Or, just buy one of these from China, already has the LM308 and a switch for the diodes in it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-bear-...sAAMXQNo5Tbt66
                                Last edited by devastone; 11-28-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X