banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Thanks again! I do all my own pup and pot/cap swaps and stuff. So totally green, but not an ace by any means.. Im very sloppy.. usually overkill everything with too much solder for fear itll come apart.. haha

Seriously? that pedal (little bear) actually work at that price?? Let alone sound good??
    Last edited by BloodRose; 11-29-2015, 11:51 AM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I don't see why it wouldn't work, most of the electronics in the world, including the Rat 2s, are MIC, they know what they are doing. Not to mention, pedals are really simple circuits.

Comment

LOL, guess I was alil vague.. meant will it cop that sound and have you tried? just seems too good to be true
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

No, I haven't tried one personally. There are tons of knock-offs out there and it's so simple, can't imagine they screwed it up, not to mention it shows the PCB in the auction and it shows a LM308 in it. But, yeah, I understand your hesitance.

Comment

Well, I scored one on Ebay, so we will see. Of course I don't have a regular Rat to compare too. His feedback is really good, so Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But my winning bid was a bank breaking $3.50.

Question for Rat users.. Is this like the bogner pedals where its best run on clean channel or you use to boost the gain channel? Im guessing boost the gain, right?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              Question for Rat users.. Is this like the bogner pedals where its best run on clean channel or you use to boost the gain channel? Im guessing boost the gain, right?
              I no longer use mine (debate about getting another one just because of the classic tone) but when I did I ran it off of the clean channel and didn't care for it on the drive channel. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe BUT I had the Gain Channel modded by a local Amp Tech to resemble more of a Mesa Boogie Rectifier gain...so not your typical HRD. FWIW, I play mostly Bluesy Rock and Positive Alternative/CCM style music.

Best of luck with the incoming pedal!

Comment

i too run mine through the clean of an amp channel

Comment

Well, I scored one on Ebay, so we will see. Of course I don't have a regular Rat to compare too. His feedback is really good, so Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But my winning bid was a bank breaking $3.50.

You can do either. RATs are pretty high-gain, and you can get all the gain you need with the knon at 10 o'clock

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Myaccount876
                  Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

The Biyang Metal End distortion pedal was the answer for me when I was also on a (prolonged) metal tone quest a few months back. It is affordable - I got a new one on Amazon for ~$65. Check out this YouTube demo of it:

One odd but important aspect to note is that while this pedal can be powered with a nine volt battery, when it comes to AC power adapter, it requires a 9.6 volt unit. However an affordable one ($22) is widely available from DOD - their PS200R.

I tried the Rat (a reissue of the original with the fabled LM308 (sp?) chip) prior to this, and to my ears, the Rat sounded more like a fuzzy overdrive than a distortion pedal.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-03-2015, 06:41 AM.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Whahoo ;-0 Wasn't the shipping like $19 or something from China? Still, pretty good score, less than $25 for a Rat clone. I think the box looks cool too. Let me know how it works for you. Maybe we can figure out how to do a comparison with my Rat 2 (with LM308) or something.

As far as using it, the answer is yes, to both questions. Gain up into a clean amp, sounds great. Gain down, volume up to boost a dirty amp, sounds great (that was Nuno's early rig, Rat into a JMP head).

Comment

Thanks ! Yeah, shipping is $18. So total score under $25. If it works well, then thats a killer deal! If not, then Im out a couple meals and lesson learned.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

You can't eat a cloned Rat, I've always said that...

Comment

sure ya can.. tastes like chicken.... haha

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              You can't eat a cloned Rat, I've always said that...
                              G. Gordon Liddy would.

Comment

Yeah, the Rat will work as a great pedal on its own or as a boost to thicken up a gainy tone and add a bit of hair. It's definitely one of my favourite pedals. I have an old USA-made one but without the lm308. For what it's worth, I've compared it to one that does have the chip and I found the difference to be negligible.
                                I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Working...
                                X