banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archer250
    replied
    Re: Recommend me a Distortion pedal please....

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    You would

totally jk! lol

How would you describe the difference?
    One is sharper/edgier than the other, and the other is slightly woolier and thicker (slightly)
    Think JB with A5 vs JB with RCA5

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
    I *could* tell that they're slightly different, and how different, but I wouldn't be able to tell which is the vintage.
    You would

totally jk! lol

How would you describe the difference?

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    I haven't tried the two together but I doubt 99% of us would be able to point out which one was the vintage and which one was modern in a blindfold test.
    I *could* tell that they're slightly different, and how different, but I wouldn't be able to tell which is the vintage.

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied

Originally posted by Kam View Post
    Yeah, the Rat will work as a great pedal on its own or as a boost to thicken up a gainy tone and add a bit of hair. It's definitely one of my favourite pedals. I have an old USA-made one but without the lm308. For what it's worth, I've compared it to one that does have the chip and I found the difference to be negligible.
    I haven't tried the two together but I doubt 99% of us would be able to point out which one was the vintage and which one was modern in a blindfold test.

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied

Yeah, the Rat will work as a great pedal on its own or as a boost to thicken up a gainy tone and add a bit of hair. It's definitely one of my favourite pedals. I have an old USA-made one but without the lm308. For what it's worth, I've compared it to one that does have the chip and I found the difference to be negligible.

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    You can't eat a cloned Rat, I've always said that...
    G. Gordon Liddy would.

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

sure ya can.. tastes like chicken.... haha

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

You can't eat a cloned Rat, I've always said that...

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Thanks ! Yeah, shipping is $18. So total score under $25. If it works well, then thats a killer deal! If not, then Im out a couple meals and lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Well, I scored one on Ebay, so we will see. Of course I don't have a regular Rat to compare too. His feedback is really good, so Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But my winning bid was a bank breaking $3.50.

Question for Rat users.. Is this like the bogner pedals where its best run on clean channel or you use to boost the gain channel? Im guessing boost the gain, right?
    Whahoo ;-0 Wasn't the shipping like $19 or something from China? Still, pretty good score, less than $25 for a Rat clone. I think the box looks cool too. Let me know how it works for you. Maybe we can figure out how to do a comparison with my Rat 2 (with LM308) or something.

As far as using it, the answer is yes, to both questions. Gain up into a clean amp, sounds great. Gain down, volume up to boost a dirty amp, sounds great (that was Nuno's early rig, Rat into a JMP head).

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied

The Biyang Metal End distortion pedal was the answer for me when I was also on a (prolonged) metal tone quest a few months back. It is affordable - I got a new one on Amazon for ~$65. Check out this YouTube demo of it:

One odd but important aspect to note is that while this pedal can be powered with a nine volt battery, when it comes to AC power adapter, it requires a 9.6 volt unit. However an affordable one ($22) is widely available from DOD - their PS200R.

I tried the Rat (a reissue of the original with the fabled LM308 (sp?) chip) prior to this, and to my ears, the Rat sounded more like a fuzzy overdrive than a distortion pedal.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-03-2015, 06:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

Well, I scored one on Ebay, so we will see. Of course I don't have a regular Rat to compare too. His feedback is really good, so Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised. But my winning bid was a bank breaking $3.50.

Question for Rat users.. Is this like the bogner pedals where its best run on clean channel or you use to boost the gain channel? Im guessing boost the gain, right?
    You can do either. RATs are pretty high-gain, and you can get all the gain you need with the knon at 10 o'clock

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Brandenburg
    replied

i too run mine through the clean of an amp channel

Leave a comment:

• treyhaislip
    replied

I no longer use mine (debate about getting another one just because of the classic tone) but when I did I ran it off of the clean channel and didn't care for it on the drive channel. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe BUT I had the Gain Channel modded by a local Amp Tech to resemble more of a Mesa Boogie Rectifier gain...so not your typical HRD. FWIW, I play mostly Bluesy Rock and Positive Alternative/CCM style music.

Best of luck with the incoming pedal!

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X