banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just "discovered" something that everyone else probably already knows about.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just "discovered" something that everyone else probably already knows about.

I'm guessing that this is called the "cocked-wah" effect. You plug into a wah pedal, and then place it into your favorite "sweet" position, and then leave it alone. It's that strange sweet mid-range sweep thang.

I'm playing with my wah, but then my ankle/calf gets tired. Instead of turning the wah "off", I leave it alone. In its last, sweet position. I'm lovin' it. I'm guessing that everyone else already knows about this. That's cool.

Btw . . . this effect goes good with spirits. (Interpret that as you wish.) ;-)

Artie

Re: I just "discovered" something that everyone else probably already knows about.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'm guessing that this is called the "cocked-wah" effect. You plug into a wah pedal, and then place it into your favorite "sweet" position, and then leave it alone. It's that strange sweet mid-range sweep thang.

I'm playing with my wah, but then my ankle/calf gets tired. Instead of turning the wah "off", I leave it alone. In its last, sweet position. I'm lovin' it. I'm guessing that everyone else already knows about this. That's cool.

Btw . . . this effect goes good with spirits. (Interpret that as you wish.) ;-)

Artie
    .. So, are you saying that ghost are involved.. ..lol see what happens when you let others interpret your words

Comment

Re: I just "discovered" something that everyone else probably already knows about.

Robert Fripp [ King Krimson ] was the first person I can remember doing that way back in the early 70's. Whether I picked it up from him or just " found it " anyway I can't remember but I did such things back then.I would've figured you'd have known this long ago, partially because of your age or weren't you into guitars and wow pedals back then ?
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Two words:

Mick.

Ronson.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

There are a few pedals out there that are preset wah boosts. Just set it, click it on and you get a big mid boost for solos with no fiddling around looking for the sweet spot.
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-20-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
            Two words:

Mick.

Ronson.

Ha! Two real words about music: Jimi Hendrix, the master of the wah wah. Wah's are all over his later recordings. Listen to 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun' for excellent work with cocked wahs.

Artie: you're 45 years late to the party. Besides Hendrix, Zappa was a big fan of cocked wahs (he turned Hendrix on to wahs) and Jorma Koukonen of Jefferson Airplane did all his solos with cocked wahs. All kinds of things were going on with wahs in the late 1960's. What the hell are you listening to Artie?
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Artie: you're 45 years late to the party.
              I think the "party" is still happening! God bless rock-'n-roll.

Comment

Not so much a fan, but I can see where it would help the lead guitar cut through multiple other instruments.

Comment

I had a friend with a wah pedal that wouldn't switch off, so he just incorporated the cocked wah tone into his playing.
                  Go Packers!

Comment

That's what I like about the Weeping Demon, you can change it to be footswitch activated, or pedal activated. When you do the footswitch option, you can just leave the pedal at whatever angle you want and turn it on or off with the footswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                      I had a friend with a wah pedal that wouldn't switch off, so he just incorporated the cocked wah tone into his playing.
                      Now thats an innovator! Hmmm, I should kept the old amp I had that was making noise. That way I could always blame the amp for my suckatude.

Artie, goes well with spirits huh?? Guess we can use the cocked wah tone to communicate with the ghosts of all the guys who have done it before us..... Jimi and others. Pretty sure Vai does it alot too.. Which I find interesting as IIRC, the bad horsie doesnt stay in position. or does it? sorry, havnt used mine in years
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Uber approved technique:

Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take for him to be mentioned...by Aceman no less!

Great technique, CUTS.
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Kirk Hammett was huge into the cocked wah thing as well.
                            I see players do it and I also notice that a lot of guys who play fast with a cocked wah, it covers up a lot of their sloppiness..
                            We went and watched a band one night with a 'hot guitar player" the guy was supposed to be killer and he couldn't hit a lick without that wah pedal cocked covering his leads..
                            Every solo he did was with a wah no matter what song they covered, he used a wah.. We left and went and watched another band..
                            That was annoying, I am not a big wah guy but I am planning on buying one for some Hendrix stuff.. He was a master of the wah wah pedal..

Comment

Shooter - Hammet uses the wah period. As a wah wah. He does do some conked stuff but usually he's rocking back and forth. We're talking about leaving it in one position throughout
                              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X