X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimijames
    replied
    Re: Favorite cheap Tube Screamer based OD

So if you want a lead boost, it's hard to do better than the boss sd-1 at any price point.

Rock solid construction, no-pop buffered switching, it adds some compression and cuts some bass so in a mix it really pushes you to the front. Through a Marshall it's magic.

People will deride it for the boss buffer (which doesn't sound great at bedroom levels but at stage volumes is hardly noticeable) but IMO even stock (they're also highly moddable btw) it's one of the best solo boost pedals out there period.

Leave a comment:

• NotCardio
    replied

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Sure it does, the Clarksdale is an awesome TS with 3 band EQ. Not cheap by any means, but I'm going between it and a Fuldrive.
    What I meant was that the Wamplers I want (Blackface '65 and PlexiDrive) don't have anything to do with TS clones.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
    What I really want is a couple of Wamplers, but that doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of tubescreamer clones, so never mind.
    Sure it does, the Clarksdale is an awesome TS with 3 band EQ. Not cheap by any means, but I'm going between it and a Fuldrive.

Leave a comment:

• IM4Tone
    replied

That's good to know. I wanted the Tech21 Blonde and Liverpool, but decided (well, my bank account decided) I was going to have to settle for the Joyo American and AC. Besides those two and the Vintage, I also want the Sweet Baby. This is, of course, all based on what I've heard on youtube. I can never get a pedal to sound like it does on youtube anyway, so I don't know why I bother.

Btw, I have the Tech 21 British, and I don't notice it to be any noisier than any other pedal, but then again, I have a very noisy chain anyway, even with a noise suppressor.
    I used a noise suppressor with my JOYO Amer. Sound and British Sound, and it did make the signal quiet, 'non-hissy'. So, since you already have the NS, you should try the JOYO's.

Leave a comment:

• NotCardio
    replied

What I really want is a couple of Wamplers, but that doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of tubescreamer clones, so never mind.

Leave a comment:

• NotCardio
    replied

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
    Perhaps, but the Sweet Baby and the Deluxe Crunch are totally quiet. JOYO's emulation pedals (Amer. Sound and the British Sound) are 'hissy', but so are the original Tech 21's that they are cloned from.
    That's good to know. I wanted the Tech21 Blonde and Liverpool, but decided (well, my bank account decided) I was going to have to settle for the Joyo American and AC. Besides those two and the Vintage, I also want the Sweet Baby. This is, of course, all based on what I've heard on youtube. I can never get a pedal to sound like it does on youtube anyway, so I don't know why I bother.

Btw, I have the Tech 21 British, and I don't notice it to be any noisier than any other pedal, but then again, I have a very noisy chain anyway, even with a noise suppressor.

Leave a comment:

• IM4Tone
    replied

..............I hear Joyos are kinda noisy, though....................
    Perhaps, but the Sweet Baby and the Deluxe Crunch are totally quiet. JOYO's emulation pedals (Amer. Sound and the British Sound) are 'hissy', but so are the original Tech 21's that they are cloned from.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by TRex View Post
    Arnt the MXR Classic OD in the 90's range?
    Used to be $39.99 out the door at GC. Find em used. They have a switch inside that changes between a TS9 clone and the Zakk Wylde OD.

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    replied

Biyang Baby Boom/Mad Driver...bought mine for $28.00 ...it gets the job done just fine..sweet pedal!

Leave a comment:

• Sleepy
    replied

My favorite TS is still the plain ol TS9 or the TS mini. All the mods are cool but since most distortion pedals are essentially based on modded tubescreamer circuits anyway I don't really get why a modded tubescreamer is even a tubescreamer. Does that make any sense?

Leave a comment:

• NotCardio
    replied

Taking into consideration the fact that I rarely agree with the majority - I have a Bad Monkey, it's OK but needs a new switch. I have a TS7 that I got talked into trying. I'm thinking it's even an AnalogMan mod. I think it sucks donkey balls. Got a few others, but I don't think any of them are TS clone-based. Maybe they are and I just don't know it. They Joyo Vintage Overdrive is on my list to get. There are some other Joyo overdrives I want to get too, but that's the one that's in the vein of what you're talking about. I hear Joyos are kinda noisy, though. Just my take on it.

I think I'm just gonna get an 808 and be done with it. I'm tired of screwing around with clones. I've spent far more and wasted a lot of time and frustration than if I'd just gotten what I was really looking for in the first place.
    Last edited by NotCardio; 12-03-2015, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

For boost purposes, just about anything will work. I have a Delta Lab TD1, TS type pedal that works great as a boost. You should be able to find one of them for next to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I love me some Bad Monkey. The TS7 is also great, with that hot switch- I love mine too. However, they aren't made anymore, and the switch tends to get a little dodgy after a few years. Mine has been sprayed with contact cleaner many times, I am going to have to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• vegetablejoe
    replied

A lot of the nuances and differences between tubescreamers is lost to me in the context of a band mix. So there are a lot of inexpensive TS clones I don't mind using. However, because of its smaller footprint, my current vote is for the TS Mini. If bought used, the Mooer Green Mile works for me as well.

Leave a comment:

• Sleepy
    replied

The Joyo vintage OD is a tubescreamer-style pedal, and while I wouldn't consider the sound quality as good as a ts9, it's true bypass and available online for $25 new... If you really need true bypass or you're just a cheapskate it'll do.

But for $60? Just splurge the extra couple bucks for the real deal ($100). Great resale value and you know you're getting the benchmark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X