Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite cheap Tube Screamer based OD

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
    That's good to know. I wanted the Tech21 Blonde and Liverpool, but decided (well, my bank account decided) I was going to have to settle for the Joyo American and AC. Besides those two and the Vintage, I also want the Sweet Baby. This is, of course, all based on what I've heard on youtube. I can never get a pedal to sound like it does on youtube anyway, so I don't know why I bother.

Btw, I have the Tech 21 British, and I don't notice it to be any noisier than any other pedal, but then again, I have a very noisy chain anyway, even with a noise suppressor.
    I used a noise suppressor with my JOYO Amer. Sound and British Sound, and it did make the signal quiet, 'non-hissy'. So, since you already have the NS, you should try the JOYO's.

Comment

What I really want is a couple of Wamplers, but that doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of tubescreamer clones, so never mind.
      Sure it does, the Clarksdale is an awesome TS with 3 band EQ. Not cheap by any means, but I'm going between it and a Fuldrive.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Sure it does, the Clarksdale is an awesome TS with 3 band EQ. Not cheap by any means, but I'm going between it and a Fuldrive.
        What I meant was that the Wamplers I want (Blackface '65 and PlexiDrive) don't have anything to do with TS clones.

Comment

So if you want a lead boost, it's hard to do better than the boss sd-1 at any price point.

Rock solid construction, no-pop buffered switching, it adds some compression and cuts some bass so in a mix it really pushes you to the front. Through a Marshall it's magic.

People will deride it for the boss buffer (which doesn't sound great at bedroom levels but at stage volumes is hardly noticeable) but IMO even stock (they're also highly moddable btw) it's one of the best solo boost pedals out there period.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

How come no mention of the SD 808?

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
              So if you want a lead boost, it's hard to do better than the boss sd-1 at any price point.

Rock solid construction, no-pop buffered switching, it adds some compression and cuts some bass so in a mix it really pushes you to the front. Through a Marshall it's magic.

People will deride it for the boss buffer (which doesn't sound great at bedroom levels but at stage volumes is hardly noticeable) but IMO even stock (they're also highly moddable btw) it's one of the best solo boost pedals out there period.
              +1. I LOVE my TS808...but I still have my SD-1 just incase. For less than half the price its a no-brainer. I like it much better than a TS-7 and you can find them used for dirt cheap.

Also, anyone who complains about a buffered pedal ruining their tone doesn't have it dialed in good enough to begin with. Like you said, noticeable, but barely and rarely in band context
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

You mean the 805 Overdrive? I think the OP said 'cheap', although if that word weren't there, the 805 would be my choice.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The word cheap...haha

Bad monkey, Joyo, and SD-1 are in my price range. Under $60 would be best.
                  Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  +1. I LOVE my TS808...but I still have my SD-1 just incase. For less than half the price its a no-brainer. I like it much better than a TS-7 and you can find them used for dirt cheap.

Also, anyone who complains about a buffered pedal ruining their tone doesn't have it dialed in good enough to begin with. Like you said, noticeable, but barely and rarely in band context
                  I'll have to try one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Jet Driver is the Stupid Deal of the Day for $50

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                      Jet Driver is the Stupid Deal of the Day for $50
                      Anybody used one?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        You mean the 805 Overdrive? I think the OP said 'cheap', although if that word weren't there, the 805 would be my choice.
                        Yeah, that's what I meant. The only thing worse than my vision is my typing.

Comment

Another vote for the SD-1, I like the asymmetrical clipping a little better too, the 4558 chip is stock in them FWIW.

Comment

Anybody used one?
                            Sounds better than I would have thought:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you can find any of the visual sound V1 or V2 series OD's on the used market, I highly recommend them. The Route 808 is the standalone OD based on a TS808 with more output, a better buffer and a bass boost. The Double a Trouble is 2 Route 808 circuits in a double pedal. There is also the Jekyl and Hyde that pairs this circuit with a distortion and the Route 66 that pairs it with a compressor. There is also the Open Road which is more amp like and doesn't have the mid bump of a TS.

The V3 series is also good, but more expensive.

Comment

The east river drive is great. Less nasal than my 80's MIJ TS9. The SD-1 and MXR pedals are solid choices too, but I prefer the erd myself. I've had all three.

Comment

Working...
                                X