• Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite cheap Tube Screamer based OD

Visual Sound Garagetone Drivetrain
    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I forgot about the EHX East River Drive. I haven't played one, but it's on my list.

The MXR Classic OD can go for $90 from time to time on ebay, but some judicious searching can land one in the $40-55 range pretty easily. I paid $45 for mine locally on craigslist.
      Go Packers!

Comment

MXR Badass Modified.. I love mine!
        The Biyang Mad Driver sounds great for under 50..
        I know a guy who gigs with one and it sound fantastic thru his DSL..

Comment

I like the Joyo Audio JF-39 Deluxe Crunch Pedal....around $40 +/- at Amazon. JOYO has several other inexpensive models which also may appeal to you. The Dlx. Crunch and Sweet Baby are the only JOYO OD pedals I own and/or have tried.

Comment

The Joyo vintage OD is a tubescreamer-style pedal, and while I wouldn't consider the sound quality as good as a ts9, it's true bypass and available online for $25 new... If you really need true bypass or you're just a cheapskate it'll do.

But for $60? Just splurge the extra couple bucks for the real deal ($100). Great resale value and you know you're getting the benchmark.

Comment

A lot of the nuances and differences between tubescreamers is lost to me in the context of a band mix. So there are a lot of inexpensive TS clones I don't mind using. However, because of its smaller footprint, my current vote is for the TS Mini. If bought used, the Mooer Green Mile works for me as well.

Comment

I love me some Bad Monkey. The TS7 is also great, with that hot switch- I love mine too. However, they aren't made anymore, and the switch tends to get a little dodgy after a few years. Mine has been sprayed with contact cleaner many times, I am going to have to replace it.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For boost purposes, just about anything will work. I have a Delta Lab TD1, TS type pedal that works great as a boost. You should be able to find one of them for next to nothing.

Comment

Taking into consideration the fact that I rarely agree with the majority - I have a Bad Monkey, it's OK but needs a new switch. I have a TS7 that I got talked into trying. I'm thinking it's even an AnalogMan mod. I think it sucks donkey balls. Got a few others, but I don't think any of them are TS clone-based. Maybe they are and I just don't know it. They Joyo Vintage Overdrive is on my list to get. There are some other Joyo overdrives I want to get too, but that's the one that's in the vein of what you're talking about. I hear Joyos are kinda noisy, though. Just my take on it.

I think I'm just gonna get an 808 and be done with it. I'm tired of screwing around with clones. I've spent far more and wasted a lot of time and frustration than if I'd just gotten what I was really looking for in the first place.
                    Last edited by NotCardio; 12-03-2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

My favorite TS is still the plain ol TS9 or the TS mini. All the mods are cool but since most distortion pedals are essentially based on modded tubescreamer circuits anyway I don't really get why a modded tubescreamer is even a tubescreamer. Does that make any sense?

Comment

Biyang Baby Boom/Mad Driver...bought mine for $28.00 ...it gets the job done just fine..sweet pedal!
                        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
                          Arnt the MXR Classic OD in the 90's range?
                          Used to be $39.99 out the door at GC. Find em used. They have a switch inside that changes between a TS9 clone and the Zakk Wylde OD.
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
                            ..............I hear Joyos are kinda noisy, though....................
                            Perhaps, but the Sweet Baby and the Deluxe Crunch are totally quiet. JOYO's emulation pedals (Amer. Sound and the British Sound) are 'hissy', but so are the original Tech 21's that they are cloned from.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                              Perhaps, but the Sweet Baby and the Deluxe Crunch are totally quiet. JOYO's emulation pedals (Amer. Sound and the British Sound) are 'hissy', but so are the original Tech 21's that they are cloned from.
                              That's good to know. I wanted the Tech21 Blonde and Liverpool, but decided (well, my bank account decided) I was going to have to settle for the Joyo American and AC. Besides those two and the Vintage, I also want the Sweet Baby. This is, of course, all based on what I've heard on youtube. I can never get a pedal to sound like it does on youtube anyway, so I don't know why I bother.

Btw, I have the Tech 21 British, and I don't notice it to be any noisier than any other pedal, but then again, I have a very noisy chain anyway, even with a noise suppressor.

Comment

What I really want is a couple of Wamplers, but that doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of tubescreamer clones, so never mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X