X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM4Tone
    replied
    Re: Favorite cheap Tube Screamer based OD

I like the Joyo Audio JF-39 Deluxe Crunch Pedal....around $40 +/- at Amazon. JOYO has several other inexpensive models which also may appeal to you. The Dlx. Crunch and Sweet Baby are the only JOYO OD pedals I own and/or have tried.

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    replied

MXR Badass Modified.. I love mine!
    The Biyang Mad Driver sounds great for under 50..
    I know a guy who gigs with one and it sound fantastic thru his DSL..

Leave a comment:

• Matt42
    replied

I forgot about the EHX East River Drive. I haven't played one, but it's on my list.

The MXR Classic OD can go for $90 from time to time on ebay, but some judicious searching can land one in the $40-55 range pretty easily. I paid $45 for mine locally on craigslist.

Leave a comment:

• Progbusters
    replied

Visual Sound Garagetone Drivetrain

Leave a comment:

• Rich_S
    replied

Used SD-1s go for $25 o eBay all the time, given decent sniping skills.

Leave a comment:

• TRex
    replied

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Taiwan, not PRC. If it matters to you. Different enclosure, different switch, Tone-Lok knobs, adds "Hot" mode that's quite useful. The only negative I see is that the 7-series switches can be finnicky.
    Oh that's no problem, that's just what I had heard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

The TS7 actually came with the JRC chip, IIRC, if that matters any. The 9 doesn't most of the time.

Both are great-sounding pedals. The JRC chip is not all that special anyways, IMO.

The Joyo Vintage Overdrive might be worth taking a look at as well.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-22-2015, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Originally posted by TRex View Post
    So a TS7 is essentially Chinese made TS9, right?
    Taiwan, not PRC. If it matters to you. Different enclosure, different switch, Tone-Lok knobs, adds "Hot" mode that's quite useful. The only negative I see is that the 7-series switches can be finnicky.

Leave a comment:

• TRex
    replied

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
    you might be able to find a used Trex Alberta for around that price, Trex. hahaha
    Haha, I might have to take a look at those now [emoji14]
    Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    TS7
    So a TS7 is essentially Chinese made TS9, right?

Don't seem to see them for sale new anywhere.
    Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    boss sd-1 or maybe a bad monkey.
    Both are great pedals, regardless of money.
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    GFS makes something called a Twin Overdrive for somewhere close to $60. I highly recommend it.
    I'll have to see if I can find some demos of it. GFS stuff are ussaally pretty solid
    Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
    I like the MXR Classic OD for that price range. You should be able to find a used TS9 in that range too.
    Arnt the MXR Classic OD in the 90's range?
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Bad Monkey
    TS7
    Bad monkey I can find at guitar center, so it's now definitely on the list to try out

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

TS7

Leave a comment:

• Progbusters
    replied

you might be able to find a used Trex Alberta for around that price, Trex. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

boss sd-1 or maybe a bad monkey.
    Both are great pedals, regardless of money.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

GFS makes something called a Twin Overdrive for somewhere close to $60. I highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Archer250
    replied

I tend to buy local brands, but I guess the Bad Monkey will do

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

I have an Ibanez TS808 and an MXR Classic Overdrive, and I have A/B'd them both against my friend's Electro Harmonix East River Drive.

The ERD is a bit over 60 bucks, but it's still not an expensive pedal, and it is well-made. It is close to the Ibanez TS808 for sure. It is a little bit less gainy and a tiny bit less middy, but other than that, it's a good cheap alternative to the TS808 that sounds like 95% the same.

The Classic Overdrive was a Guitar Center exclusive version of the GT-OD encased in a cheaper enclosure, but it's supposedly the exact same circuit inside as the GT-OD. It's a mighty fine pedal. It has an internal switch that flips between GT-OD mode and Zakk Wylde overdrive mode. I think these went for like 40 dollars new. You can find them used pretty often.

GT-OD mode has a TS-ish vibe, but the gain knob has more range. At its lower setting, it has a tad less gain than a TS808, and at its highest, it has a ton more gain. The tone knob also behaves a bit more aggresively. A bit more output level too. When they are dialed in to sound as close to each other as they can, the Classic OD and the TS808 do not sound the same, though. The Classic OD has less mids, more bass and treble (but it's still mid-hyped, just not as much as a TS), and the voicing of the overdrive is a bit less compressed and creamy than a TS.

In Zakk Wylde mode, the overdrive is a bit more compressed, brighter, and has even less mids and has less output level. Not scooped-sounding, mind you, just quite a bit less of a mid-hump to it which pushes it more towards Boss SD-1 territory.

The Classic Overdrive is a far more versatile and slightly more natural-sounding pedal while still maintaining kind of a TS-ish vibe. The TS is a classic, though, and if you want that sound, the Classic OD doesn't quite nail it. It can get close, but it doesn't quite have the creamy mids of the 808, and the EHX is closer. I'd recommend both, depending on what you want.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-21-2015, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X