banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parenting Advice? (No, this is not for the Sound Room.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting Advice? (No, this is not for the Sound Room.)

So I was trying to come up with something for Christmas that would be a cool project to work on with my almost-seven-year-old daughter, and I thought building a pedal would be pretty awesome. She likes the idea, but now I'm torn. Do we build a flanger, which would be new to the board, or replace a Wylde Phase 90, which is okay but not great? And is BYOC the way to go?

Re: Parenting Advice? (No, this is not for the Sound Room.)

you ever built one before?

Comment

No. I've modded at least four, and I have an electrical engineering degree, though.

Comment

build an echo. Its fun for a 7 year old to make weird noises and twiddle the dials.
        I dont think she will really hear the difference between a Wylde and a boutique phaser.
        Actually, neither would I.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Monte Allums has some 808 pedal kits he has developed.
          They would be a good start, all you need is an iron and you're in business.
          Super nice guy too!

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            No. I've modded at least four, and I have an electrical engineering degree, though.
            Prepare for a flashback to ECE201 and intermittent breadboards with jiggling wires...
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm in a theory class for my continuing education for my trade and it's breadboard hell right now lol!
              Resistors and diodes everywhere!

Comment

fuzz pedals are supposed to be easy

but I would have no experience tho
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

MKLEC makes a really cool Deep Blue delay clone. That would be a cool project.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

This sounds like one of those "What gun should I get for my wife" posts.

Let me ask this; Has your daughter asked to build something? Did you ask her what might be cool to build? Or is this Whizzy wanting to believe his daughter loves the scent of solder in the morning….
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If I had to choose between a flanger and a phaser I'd choose to build or play the phaser. That said, my first attempt at a pedal build would definitely be some sort of Muff.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

First of all, I'm not surprised to see Bob missing the point, as he seems to do every time he happens across one of my posts.

I have two overdrives already, and the one that gets used is a Monte Allums SD-1 GT, so I know him well. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't exactly fill a need.

Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference as far as the build process is concerned. Sure, some have more pieces, some have fewer. But we're not going to miss the holes in the PCB. And Laz, I hated the Big Muff I briefly had, so I don't think that would be something I want to do.

A little background I guess is in order. My daughter loves talking about music, listening to music, singing, etc. And she loves to be involved in projects I'm working on our am interested in. I thought a pedal build would meld the two well. I still think it's a cool idea. The real question is which one, and I'm really no closer to answering that question today than yesterday.

Comment

Let her make the choice. Let her hear the different pedals alone and how they affect the sound, then maybe how they mesh with other pedals. She may surprise you with her suggestion (like a Stereo Delay where the repeats on the left are Flanged, and the repeats on the right are Phased, and can be set for Ping-Pong, or maybe a distortion+chorus that actually sounds good and covers all your chorus+distortion needs, or a distortion+wah where the gain and treble drops a set amount as the envelope opens to keep it all under control).
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            This sounds like one of those "What gun should I get for my wife" posts.

Let me ask this; Has your daughter asked to build something? Did you ask her what might be cool to build? Or is this Whizzy wanting to believe his daughter loves the scent of solder in the morning….
                            Lol, I absolutely love the Sagia 5.45x39mm my girlfriend "wanted" for X-mas last year! Oh, I mean SHE loves it, probably? She still hasn't gotten the up nerve to shoot it yet?

He's got a point, sometimes we can justify buying stuff for others that we actually want? Don't get me wrong, it's great that you want to do some kind of project together but I think you're daughter would enjoy building a dollhouse with you just as much! Probably even more & she would actually have something to play with afterwards other than some knobs on a little box that makes weird noises?

When I bought the rifle mentioned above I actually did have my girl in mind, sorta? She was too scared to shoot my .308/7.62x51mm & I thought the 5.45x39mm would be a more manageable cartridge for her? I probably should have bought her another .22 that she could call her own or perhaps a .17 HMR instead because she likes to shoot my son's? In reality I bought it for her because I wanted her to want it, not because she wanted it? I ended up getting her a diamond necklace about a week later because I felt bad, it all made sense to me @ the time though...
                            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

One key to the left, bro.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X