banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parenting Advice? (No, this is not for the Sound Room.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrNewcenstein
    replied
    Re: Parenting Advice? (No, this is not for the Sound Room.)

Get a giant breadboard and the fattest iron you can find - just like when you gave your kids a #3 pencil and a huge sheet of paper so they could learn the basics of control and technique. Then as she improves, she can graduate to smaller boards and irons, tweezers, a magnifying glass, and do a portable pedal.

And get her some respiratory protection that will filter out the fumes.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

This is basically her Christmas gift to me, and we will build it together. I'll let her try to solder if she wants, but I'm pretty sure she'll be way too scared of it to try. It'll take a while, for sure, but it'll be awesome to have something functional that we did together.

Leave a comment:

• blakejcan
    replied

Sounds like you can do it no problem. Do you trust a 7 year old to do super precise soldering on a tiny board?

I'd go to Madbean or BYOC and look at the actual boards themselves to see what interests you in terms of the effects offered and what would be do-able for both of you. There is a whole boatload of room on an overdrive board. But any memory or flanger type effect gets real crowded real fast and I'm having a hard time imagining a 7 year old being able to tackle it. I dont know, maybe she's better at soldering than I am which isn't saying much.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

How interested do you think your daughter would be in using the pedal once it's finished? You know her; we don't. How much -- a little or a lot?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    One key to the left, bro.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

^^
    Good wife.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Shooter.556
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    This sounds like one of those "What gun should I get for my wife" posts.

Let me ask this; Has your daughter asked to build something? Did you ask her what might be cool to build? Or is this Whizzy wanting to believe his daughter loves the scent of solder in the morning….
    LOL! In all fairness, my wife asked for a new AR and a 9mm to carry for Christmas this year..

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

Well, all things considered, you don't have a flanger. Go for something new.

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

One key to the left, bro.

Leave a comment:

• Nostalgic Distortion
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Let me ask this; Has your daughter asked to build something? Did you ask her what might be cool to build? Or is this Whizzy wanting to believe his daughter loves the scent of solder in the morning….
    Lol, I absolutely love the Sagia 5.45x39mm my girlfriend "wanted" for X-mas last year! Oh, I mean SHE loves it, probably? She still hasn't gotten the up nerve to shoot it yet?

He's got a point, sometimes we can justify buying stuff for others that we actually want? Don't get me wrong, it's great that you want to do some kind of project together but I think you're daughter would enjoy building a dollhouse with you just as much! Probably even more & she would actually have something to play with afterwards other than some knobs on a little box that makes weird noises?

When I bought the rifle mentioned above I actually did have my girl in mind, sorta? She was too scared to shoot my .308/7.62x51mm & I thought the 5.45x39mm would be a more manageable cartridge for her? I probably should have bought her another .22 that she could call her own or perhaps a .17 HMR instead because she likes to shoot my son's? In reality I bought it for her because I wanted her to want it, not because she wanted it? I ended up getting her a diamond necklace about a week later because I felt bad, it all made sense to me @ the time though...

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

Let her make the choice. Let her hear the different pedals alone and how they affect the sound, then maybe how they mesh with other pedals. She may surprise you with her suggestion (like a Stereo Delay where the repeats on the left are Flanged, and the repeats on the right are Phased, and can be set for Ping-Pong, or maybe a distortion+chorus that actually sounds good and covers all your chorus+distortion needs, or a distortion+wah where the gain and treble drops a set amount as the envelope opens to keep it all under control).

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

First of all, I'm not surprised to see Bob missing the point, as he seems to do every time he happens across one of my posts.

I have two overdrives already, and the one that gets used is a Monte Allums SD-1 GT, so I know him well. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't exactly fill a need.

Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference as far as the build process is concerned. Sure, some have more pieces, some have fewer. But we're not going to miss the holes in the PCB. And Laz, I hated the Big Muff I briefly had, so I don't think that would be something I want to do.

A little background I guess is in order. My daughter loves talking about music, listening to music, singing, etc. And she loves to be involved in projects I'm working on our am interested in. I thought a pedal build would meld the two well. I still think it's a cool idea. The real question is which one, and I'm really no closer to answering that question today than yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

If I had to choose between a flanger and a phaser I'd choose to build or play the phaser. That said, my first attempt at a pedal build would definitely be some sort of Muff.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trevorus
    replied

MKLEC makes a really cool Deep Blue delay clone. That would be a cool project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X