banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help selecting a Vibe pedal to use with High gain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help selecting a Vibe pedal to use with High gain.

So, I play with a tone that's along the lines of Mastodon, high on fire,
    Etc.
    my main pups are the Duncan Black Winter and the Dimarzio super D.
    My amp rig is a mesa boogie roadster and a 5150 biamped.
    I do a lot of lead work and would love to get a sweet vibe going.
    I've tried a couple, namely the Effectrode Tube-vibe and the
    Fulltone deja vibe 3. The tube vibe just wouldn't work with my rig and
    Had a noticeable lag when engaged and the fulltone didn't sound good.
    Does anyone have any advice about a vibe that works well with a high gain rig?
    I'm looking at the MJM 60s vibe and the dry bell Vibe machine right now.

Re: Help selecting a Vibe pedal to use with High gain.

Try out the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe. It's a true photo cell vibe, but is a bit more dramatic than some others.

Years ago I used a Micro Vibe, then sold it to try out ones I thought would be better like Fulltone etc. I ended up selling a gold Fulltone and the white Mini Deja Vibe, ultimately keeping the T Rex Viper.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Gearjoneser!
      I'll def check out the micro vibe. I see that they get rave reviews and with the more intense vibe, it may do better at high gain and not get washed out like the others have.

Comment

I've been using Deja'Vibes into Rectos for about a decade. Love the sound, but they don't like high output pickups. I asked around and apparently it's a problem with all vintage spec vibes.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Yes, you need one with an input trim/gain. A few have overal level/volume but not input. I wonder how a modeled one like the Viscous Vibe would do?

It looks like the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe has a Trim...
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-24-2015, 08:31 PM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i prefer the voodoo lab over the fulltone, but in reality they are pretty much the same to the listener and the difference is subtle. I think you will get similar results with pretty much any photocell type univibe pedal.
            Where are you putting the vibe in your chain?
            I don't think in the loop is a good idea. Vibes traditionally go best before hitting the preamp. Possibly after a fuzz, but not running after dirt.
            You also have to remember that vibes were designed in the era before high gain, where the wildest thing going was a fuzz pedal into a big, loud NMV amp. They were definitely not built with active pickups in mind.
            For your application, you might find that you have better luck with a phaser. There are plenty around that will sound good anywhere in your chain, and that will also handle your high gain and high output pickups. They will also allow you to have much better control over shaping the sound of the modulation to match your rig.
            The humble and not particularly collectible "boss ph-2 super phaser" excels with high gain/modern setups. Worth experimenting with and a lot cheaper than trying a whole bunch of pedals that cost a lot of money and essentially all do the same thing, the same way.
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-24-2015, 08:35 PM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies and input.
              Y'all make some great points I have considered. A photo cell vibe pedal, no matter how makes it may just not work well with my tone, high output pups and a gainy rig.
              Now you've got me thinking of a phaser. A phase 45 may be exactly what I need.

Comment

I'm curious about how you are running your amps.

Are you running them in faux stereo with a stereo delay or chorus providing the split; or with an A/B or A/B/Y or midi switch; or both always on; or a BI-AMP set-up...where the signal is run into an electronic crossover and the lows sent to one amp and the highs sent to the other amp?

Bi-amping is common in bass and keyboard rigs (and PA systems, of course), but is rarely done with guitar amps.

A bassist or keyboardist may bi-amp the rig for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, a player will want to use different compressor settings for the lows and highs. Or, they may want to use phasing, flanging or chorusing. Applying it to only the highs allows the bottom end notes to stay clean and solid.

If you are truly using a BI-AMP rig for your guitar, this is how I would apply the vibe...to the top end only.

I'm not sure how your're using your amp, but when you speak "BI-AMP", it means a specific thing.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Oxvibe from Oxfuzz. It's made to actually work behind fuzz and distortion even, so higher output buckers are no problem and it's DEEP!
                  Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                    I'm curious about how you are running your amps.

Are you running them in faux stereo with a stereo delay or chorus providing the split; or with an A/B or A/B/Y or midi switch; or both always on; or a BI-AMP set-up...where the signal is run into an electronic crossover and the lows sent to one amp and the highs sent to the other amp?

Bi-amping is common in bass and keyboard rigs (and PA systems, of course), but is rarely done with guitar amps.

A bassist or keyboardist may bi-amp the rig for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, a player will want to use different compressor settings for the lows and highs. Or, they may want to use phasing, flanging or chorusing. Applying it to only the highs allows the bottom end notes to stay clean and solid.

If you are truly using a BI-AMP rig for your guitar, this is how I would apply the vibe...to the top end only.

I'm not sure how your're using your amp, but when you speak "BI-AMP", it means a specific thing.

Bill
                    I'm running a roadster stack and an old 5150 2x12 combo.
                    My chain is, guitar, effects, little Lehle ABY box. So basically I'm just running 2 amps together. Not hi-low or stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                      Oxvibe from Oxfuzz. It's made to actually work behind fuzz and distortion even, so higher output buckers are no problem and it's DEEP!
                      Thanks!! I haven't heard of that one. I'll do some research!

Comment

Don't laugh, but I used to have one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSqwF5-EW4

They actually sound great. You might also try the Lovepedal Pickle vibe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNjZvKRWhc i don't think they make them anymore but there are probably some on Reverb or ebay. It's not a "traditional" vibe, it's more of a modified phasor (which technically, a vibe is a phaser). If I had to guess, I would say it is probably very similar to a Phase 45 with a couple of capacitor changes to give it more of a rotating effect. I currently have a GGG Phase 45 pedal on my board and put a switch in it to select between stock phaser mode and a 10:1 capacitor set that gives more of that 'vibe sound.

Comment

Working...
                        X