banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New MXR 5150 Overdrive pedal - have you tried it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MXR 5150 Overdrive pedal - have you tried it ?

Like the post says, have anyone tested this 5150-In-a-Box yet ?

I have the real deal, so will probably never need one, but i am curious as to what you guys might think of it.

Will it sound close to my 90's-era block letter, through a good Twin Reverb (or any other amp that takes pedals very well) ?

What do you guys think / say ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: New MXR 5150 Overdrive pedal - have you tried it ?

I haven't physically played one myself (yet).....but from ppl that comment on demo videos, Ive seen mixed opinions. Now, from ppl that have actually PLAYED it, I've heard nothing but great things. Supposedly, they put Ed in a room with his back turned and A/B'd the finished pedal with his actual rig and he couldn't tell the difference...whether thats true or not remains to be seen.

The whole marketing point behind it is for ppl to be able to get "a whole spectrum - From Eddies groundbreaking classic tones to the high gain, super articulate sound he uses today." So yes, in theory its designed to take a non-VH type amp and turn it into one.
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I'm just gonna say this.. I also have the real thing the 5150iii, I don't think for second that the dynamics of that amp can be captured in a pedal.
      I could be wrong but I just think it's pedal hype.. Maybe it really rocks in some amps that are pedal friendly but I still don't think it's a 5150iii in a pedal..
      It may gain up put its not gonna have that 12ax7 touch sensitivity or that paint peeling punch you in the face 6L6 roar of the real thing..

I'm a pedal addict and I want to like this pedal but I just don't think it's gonna live up to my amp.. I am going to try one out though..

Comment

I think you'd have to treat it more like a preamp and run it into the right amp (something that can really hit hard and loud with a cleanish preamp, like a Bassman). Personally, I'd pass on it because I'm satisfied with the Bogner Ecstasy/Uberschall pedals. I think the closest sounding pedal would be the red, and it has more of a versatile balls-to-the wall Marshall sound running into my Bassman 70. I wouldn't doubt the 5150 pedal though - I think it'd sound exactly as it's advertised. My reasoning is that I know from experience with the Bogner pedals that these "preamps in a box" thing that amp companies are doing now can sound really great, and get you sounding close enough to the real thing when it's running through the right amp. Don't expect the pedal to sound like a 5150 if you're running it into a lunchbox amp or a combo like an AC30 - completely different preamp/power sections with a completely different speaker enclosure. You can expect it to sound similar to a 5150 running through a high-headroom, Bassman or Marshall style power amp section into a closed back cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
          It may gain up put its not gonna have that 12ax7 touch sensitivity or that paint peeling punch you in the face 6L6 roar of the real thing..
          Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          I think you'd have to treat it more like a preamp and run it into the right amp (something that can really hit hard and loud with a cleanish preamp, like a Bassman).
          I think the kid is right, you need to treat the pedal as a preamp. With the right amp I am guessing you will get pretty close to the desired tone. If some fanboy thinks they are going to plug this into a 15 watt 1x8 solid state practice amp and sound like Eddie they are dreaming.

Comment

i've played it. i think it sounds great, but isn't very versatile considering it's a $200 pedal. but a lot of $200 pedals aren't! i'd say it sounds as close to a real 5150/modern vh tones as something like the wampler pinnacle sounds to early van halen tones.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

The 5150 isn't a very versatile amp either….pretty much one sound. But an awesome sound!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend either the Bogner Ecstasy Red or Uberschall Pedal over the 5150 pedal. The Bogners have foot-switchable boost functions (on the XTC pedals you can even fine tune how much gain and volume you get from the boost), while the 5150 boost function isn't foot-switchable (seriously, what's the point of having a boost function then?), but the 5150 does have a built in noise gate. The Uberschall is either a love-it-or-hate-it sound. It has a lot of gain, but it doesn't feel like it, because the gain isn't real aggressive in the high end. This is most people's gripe with it, and why they say they're disappointed with its 'lack of gain'. They're just not used to it. The EQ is also very finicky, and it is easy to add too much of any EQ band when you're trying to compensate differences in the EQ. I like it, and use it when I need it - it sounds darker and throatier than the Ecstasy pedals. It works phenomenally well for heavy rhythms - especially when multitracking. The Ecstasy Red is best described as "Jerry Cantrell in a box". It sounds exactly how you'd think - a Bogner styled Marshall sound going balls to the wall. It's also pretty versatile, and it could easily do Van Halen.

As always, it's worth testing them all and seeing what you'd like best, and what has the features you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  The 5150 isn't a very versatile amp either….pretty much one sound. But an awesome sound!

That might be so - but THIS is the only sound i need from my 5150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoVfNUiba5A <--- @ 00:38sec
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I just got one of these last week, using some of the money from selling my Uberschall. The Uberschall was great, but I think I like this better. As someone else eluded to, the tone controls seem easier to tweak to my liking. Mind you, I don't care about sounding like Eddie, or the original 5150 amp. I only care about if it sounds good. And it does. But it is expensive. (My most costly pedal to date.) I need to play with it some more to see how it compares to some of my other distortion/boost pedals, but right now, I think this is a "keeper".

Hopefully, clips will be forthcoming.

Artie

Comment

That Pedal Show did a shootout with the Pinnacle, 5150, Angry Charlie, Andy Timmons AC and SL drive. I thought the Pinnacle and Angry Charlie sounded significantly better. YMMV.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        That Pedal Show did a shootout with the Pinnacle, 5150, Angry Charlie, Andy Timmons AC and SL drive. I thought the Pinnacle and Angry Charlie sounded significantly better. YMMV.
                        Side note: TPS is currently my favourite Youtube guitar oriented show. Their comparisons are methodical, as close to 'science' as this stuff can get, and the sound quality is good enough for comparisons to have some meaning.

I am curious to try the 5150, especially into my Bumbox, but mostly for the act of doing it. I really don't need or desire another gain pedal.
                        Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 12-06-2015, 07:45 AM.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          Side note: TPS is currently my favourite Youtube guitar oriented show. Their comparisons are methodical, as close to 'science' as this stuff can get, and the sound quality is good enough for comparisons to have some meaning.
                          Yes, I look forward to it and the Wampler Chasing Tone show every Friday. Entertaining and educational.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I haven't played it but I know someone who raves over it.

Comment

Hmmm.. Ive been seeing the ads, but I didnt know it was supposed to be 5150 in a box.. thought it was just a boost pedal.. Im gonna keep an eye on this thread!! I LOVE the 5150 tone, but never bought one as I like versatility and more into 80s type metal.. I also didnt know the pinnacle was supposed to cop that tone too.. Let us not forget the AMT pedals also..
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X