Muff or Muff Clone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muff or Muff Clone???

Hay fellas & ladies, I've decided that I want a Big Muff Fuzz pedal but while I was shopping around for them I came across some pretty interesting Muff clones and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these, Violet Rams Head & such? If I go with a clone I want to be able to get everything out of it I could with a original EH Big Muff & perhaps a little something more? True bypass would certainly be nice but something that's got the heavy Muff fuzz & operates just a tad quieter (not that they are super noisy anyway) would also be great! Any suggestions on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Muff or Muff Clone???

I tried a Nano Big Muff Pi recently and thought it sounded pretty much like a typical NYC Big Muff. I didn't A/B them, but I've read that the Nano is actually quieter than its full-sized cousin.

There are a ton of different Muff clones out there. Many recreate specific models from the past like the Ram's Head, Triangle, Civil War. Others combine various versions into a more-flexible hybrid, or others add non-Muff features like a mid control. It helps to know what kind of BMP your favorite players use, and go from there.

OTOH, the Nano is a great pedal for small $$$ and is a good starting point.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I agree with Rich. If you don't know what you're looking for, get a nano or deluxe and play with it. Once you figure out what Muff tones are your favorite, you can key in on it.

Also, the old big box NYC Muffs are nice and big, easy to modify. A lot of the differences just come down to clipping diode selection, tone stack (resistors/capacitor value) and discrete transistor vs IC. If you are into modding, you can pretty much duplicate what the expensive ones do with a little research and and few components.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

JHS Muffuleta

I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
          Hay fellas & ladies, I've decided that I want a Big Muff Fuzz pedal but while I was shopping around for them I came across some pretty interesting Muff clones and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these, Violet Rams Head & such? If I go with a clone I want to be able to get everything out of it I could with a original EH Big Muff & perhaps a little something more? True bypass would certainly be nice but something that's got the heavy Muff fuzz & operates just a tad quieter (not that they are super noisy anyway) would also be great! Any suggestions on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!!!
          Ramsheads are more of a midrange lead kinda tone. Think Gilmour or early Santana.
          Russians are more of a crushing rhythm tone lots more gain on tap. Think "zombie" by the cranberries.
          Drew Half Empty reckons the NYC sounds like a hot air balloon that is on fire. I like that.

None of them quite do what i think of as a "perfect" muff tone, so I built one with a few tweaks to do all the good stuff and none of the stuff i don't like (the buzz, the lack of definition and the massive mid scoop). The thing is, what i like is not necessarily what other people like.

If you are not into building or modding or whatever, the Black Arts Pharaoh fuzz starts with a russian muff as a base and gives you lots of tone shaping and clipping options. I really like that one a lot. Its raw, gutsy, organic, aggressive and you get a lot of different and useable textures for live or recording.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            Ramsheads are more of a midrange lead kinda tone. Think Gilmour or early Santana.
            Russians are more of a crushing rhythm tone lots more gain on tap. Think "zombie" by the cranberries.
            Drew Half Empty reckons the NYC sounds like a hot air balloon that is on fire. I like that.

None of them quite do what i think of as a "perfect" muff tone, so I built one with a few tweaks to do all the good stuff and none of the stuff i don't like (the buzz, the lack of definition and the massive mid scoop). The thing is, what i like is not necessarily what other people like.

If you are not into building or modding or whatever, the Black Arts Pharaoh fuzz starts with a russian muff as a base and gives you lots of tone shaping and clipping options. I really like that one a lot. Its raw, gutsy, organic, aggressive and you get a lot of different and useable textures for live or recording.
            Thanks guys, I've got some experience with the Muff tone, I actually keep a Metal Muff as a permanent fixture on my board (I know they are different monsters) but without the top boost engaged it's Muffy???

Originally I was mostly looking for a Siamese Dream kinda tone from it but the JHS & Black Arts are both pretty cool and a lot more versatile than the original, not to mention much more quiet!!! I think I'm going to look into them and a few more clones before pulling the trigger. I don't plan on modding it so I want something that's going to do everything the Big Muff will & maybe take it a few steps further? True bypass or switchable true bypass would also be really nice!!!
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

This thread inspired me to A/B my Nano Big Muff with my Soul Food. Both are good, but, you can dial the Muff down to the Soul Food, but you can't dial the Soul Food "up" to the Big Muff. Interesting. The Nano Big Muff is a sweet pedal.

My 2-cents worth.

Comment

The Metal Muff isn't anything like a Big Muff Pi besides also being a distortion pedal.

I'm going to add another recommendation for the Pharaoh. I use the Black Arts Coven fuzz which has a Pharaoh and a Black Forest Overdrive in one housing and it kicked all of my other gain pedals off the board.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  This thread inspired me to A/B my Nano Big Muff with my Soul Food. Both are good, but, you can dial the Muff down to the Soul Food, but you can't dial the Soul Food "up" to the Big Muff. Interesting. The Nano Big Muff is a sweet pedal.

My 2-cents worth.
                  I also have a Soul Food, I.M.H.O. it's kinda one of those pedals we should all have in our arsenal? I haven't been useing it much since I bought my O.C.D. but the fact that the Soul Food can switch between true & buffered bypass is a very cool feature! Especially when you run a pedal chain as long as mine, the built in buffering becomes an asset in some cases? I get what you are saying though, the nano is probably the way I'd go if I do go with a real Big Muff. It's the same pedal in a smaller box & they usually run about $20 cheaper than the full size versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                    I also have a Soul Food, I.M.H.O. it's kinda one of those pedals we should all have in our arsenal? I haven't been useing it much since I bought my O.C.D. but the fact that the Soul Food can switch between true & buffered bypass is a very cool feature! Especially when you run a pedal chain as long as mine, the built in buffering becomes an asset in some cases? I get what you are saying though, the nano is probably the way I'd go if I do go with a real Big Muff. It's the same pedal in a smaller box & they usually run about $20 cheaper than the full size versions?
                    I totally agree. That's why I'm keeping both.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                      The Metal Muff isn't anything like a Big Muff Pi besides also being a distortion pedal.

I'm going to add another recommendation for the Pharaoh. I use the Black Arts Coven fuzz which has a Pharaoh and a Black Forest Overdrive in one housing and it kicked all of my other gain pedals off the board.

So far that's the way I'm leaning, it's probably the closest thing I've found as far as meeting all my needs but the JHS that was recommended is also a great (clone & a step further) pedal! I wish there was as many of these used & for sale on the net as the various forms of the Big Muff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        I totally agree. That's why I'm keeping both.

Artie
                        Soul Food's, O.C.D.'s, & Tube Screamers are the meat and potatoes of the Overdrive world? Fundamentally they have a lot in common but at the same time they're all VERY different pedals? That's why I'm keeping all three!!!

Comment

The closest thing I have to a Muff is the Death By Audio Fuzz War. It is totally over the top, but a lot of fun.
                          It is also not very expensive.
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I ended up getting a Earthquaker Devices Dream Crusher. It seems to have just the right amount of chunk to go with its fuzz & I just love Earthquaker Devices pedals! I picked the thing up for a steal, $65!!! It's essentially brand new, box, stickers, and all the fixings included!!!

Comment

I've got a Tone Wicker Big Muff, which is ok. However on my board is a BMF Aries fuzz that is a great Violet Rams Head Muff clone with a mids control! That ones a keeper...

Sent from my TARDIS using timey-wimey talk.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X