Wah boost...is there such a thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah boost...is there such a thing?

What I'm looking for is a boost/wah pedal with auto return. You know, just step on it and it turns on. I'm not a pedal person, but I have been incorporating a wah into my leads. I have a ****ty dime wah, and it just isn't doing it for me. I'm shopping around for a new one, and so far I like the Dunlop bass wah the best. It screams on the top end and its auto return. If anyone out there has any suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Re: Wah boost...is there such a thing?

The Dunlop 95q.

Comment

Morley.

I have the Mark Tremonti one, it's got an adjustable boost, as well as auto-on and auto-return. It has a very cutting tone, great for distortion, not as great for quacky/funky cleans.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
        The Dunlop 95q.
        I was just checking that out. Have you used it?

Comment

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
          Nope.

Comment

Dunlop bass wah. Works awesome for guitar, has a volume knob to set it for a boost and a tone knob to control how drastic your sweep is. Has auto return too.

Comment

Morley BAd Horsie
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Aren't most or all optical wah's pressure-activated (no switch)?
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  My AMT Japanese Girl wah is optical, but requires a serious toe-down "kick" to turn it on. Possibly, because I'm trying to use it on carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
                    That or the Mark Tremonti Morely would be the two most common ones that you could try. I don't know about the 95Q, but everyone raves about the Tremonti.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      no. Most of the morleys have a switch next to the treadle. I actually prefer these ones.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        no. Most of the morleys have a switch next to the treadle. I actually prefer these ones.
                        That's a little bit better than the toe switch on Dunlops. I could never know for sure if I turned it on or not.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

yeah they are good pedals. Not the choice of the tone purists because they work differently to the inductor based wahs jimi used, but excellent options for the working musician nonetheless.
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Actually in most Dunlop pedals you have sth called buffer, sometimes it's set to minimize the signal suck in the effects chain, but can be used also to adjust the volume. Notice if your wah will make the signal more transparent, if yes - you have let's say BOOST. Some people modify them and throw away buffer circuit from PCB and mount 3PDT switch to make it true bypassed (this modification allows you also to put the diode signalizing that effect works). As said above ^ there are pedals you are asking for which have a little boost, but from my experience it sucks, because the wah wah pedal modifies the frequency amplitude and "focus on" and boost that frequency which you have chosen by moving your feet. Why it's bad ? Probably you heard that some frequencies are heard more clear than the others. Typical midrange frequency and treble one can sound crap in the mix with the band. Recently I was at the Slash's concert and as I know the modified circuit of his signature Crybaby Wah (I've spoken to his backstage tech) it does not adjust and boost at any level, the difference ON/OFF is about 0 dB.

Conclusion ? (or tl;dr)

Get standard wah and if you want to have good sound to your audience stay away from boost in the wah wah enclosure Hope it helps. Stay tuned !
                            Need of FUZZ ?
                            Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

I have been using a Morley Power Wah Boost for 35 years. I just put my first gen in mothballs and I am using a Morley mini now. I could get into all of the great things about the Morley or you could just check out this review I wrote. My new unit doesn't have the boost but other Morley pedals do.

Last edited by Securb; 12-12-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X