X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xxxplorer
    replied
    Re: Wah boost...is there such a thing?

Cliff Burton Wah I had was horrible. Thin and not pronounced. Maybe it was broke. Me and my bass player hated it.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    The Cliff Burton wah is probably the hottest wah on the market right now. Guitar players in droves are picking these things up.

http://www.morleypedals.com/dpfw.html

That one was specifically designed to be guitar-friendly, which few (if any) of the other bass wahs were.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    They have a very warm cap for the sweep range. I haven't read about anyone liking a bass wah for guitar (but maybe they're out there). A brighter cap may be all it needs to change that and turn it into a guitar wah if the rest of the circuit is the same. The typical Dunlop/Vox guitar wah sweep range cap is .01, and .0133, .015, to .022 cap (Hendrix and Zack Wylde models use .022) are commonly used for warmer guitar wahs. A bass wah usually has a .068 cap.
    The Cliff Burton wah is probably the hottest wah on the market right now. Guitar players in droves are picking these things up.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Bass Wah is cool for guitar???

Sweep range isn't goofy?

They have a very warm cap for the sweep range. I haven't read about anyone liking a bass wah for guitar (but maybe they're out there). A brighter cap may be all it needs to change that and turn it into a guitar wah if the rest of the circuit is the same. The typical Dunlop/Vox guitar wah sweep range cap is .01, and .0133, .015, to .022 cap (Hendrix and Zack Wylde models use .022) are commonly used for warmer guitar wahs. A bass wah usually has a .068 cap.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Bass Wah is cool for guitar???

Sweep range isn't goofy?

Leave a comment:

• DrNewcenstein
    replied

Alternatively you could get an A/B switch or Loop pedal that runs to a separate boost pedal and the wah which are always on. That way it's always ready, and you can decide whether you want the signal going into the wah boosted or the signal coming out of the wah boosted.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

I have been using a Morley Power Wah Boost for 35 years. I just put my first gen in mothballs and I am using a Morley mini now. I could get into all of the great things about the Morley or you could just check out this review I wrote. My new unit doesn't have the boost but other Morley pedals do.

Last edited by Securb; 12-12-2015, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• czarokrates
    replied

Actually in most Dunlop pedals you have sth called buffer, sometimes it's set to minimize the signal suck in the effects chain, but can be used also to adjust the volume. Notice if your wah will make the signal more transparent, if yes - you have let's say BOOST. Some people modify them and throw away buffer circuit from PCB and mount 3PDT switch to make it true bypassed (this modification allows you also to put the diode signalizing that effect works). As said above ^ there are pedals you are asking for which have a little boost, but from my experience it sucks, because the wah wah pedal modifies the frequency amplitude and "focus on" and boost that frequency which you have chosen by moving your feet. Why it's bad ? Probably you heard that some frequencies are heard more clear than the others. Typical midrange frequency and treble one can sound crap in the mix with the band. Recently I was at the Slash's concert and as I know the modified circuit of his signature Crybaby Wah (I've spoken to his backstage tech) it does not adjust and boost at any level, the difference ON/OFF is about 0 dB.

Conclusion ? (or tl;dr)

Get standard wah and if you want to have good sound to your audience stay away from boost in the wah wah enclosure Hope it helps. Stay tuned !

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

yeah they are good pedals. Not the choice of the tone purists because they work differently to the inductor based wahs jimi used, but excellent options for the working musician nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    no. Most of the morleys have a switch next to the treadle. I actually prefer these ones.
    That's a little bit better than the toe switch on Dunlops. I could never know for sure if I turned it on or not.

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

Aren't most or all optical wah's pressure-activated (no switch)?
    no. Most of the morleys have a switch next to the treadle. I actually prefer these ones.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
    I was just checking that out. Have you used it?
    That or the Mark Tremonti Morely would be the two most common ones that you could try. I don't know about the 95Q, but everyone raves about the Tremonti.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

My AMT Japanese Girl wah is optical, but requires a serious toe-down "kick" to turn it on. Possibly, because I'm trying to use it on carpet.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chickenwings
    replied

Morley BAd Horsie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X