banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mogami Gold or Lava Cable Clear Connect 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mogami Gold or Lava Cable Clear Connect 2?

I'm trying to decide between a Mogami Gold and Lava Cable Clear Connect cable to run from my guitar to the first pedal in my chain (usually my Decimator G String). The length would be either 18' for the Mogami, or 15' for the Lava. I know these are both good quality, but can anyone out there please contrast these regarding shielding, clarity, transparency, etc? I would like to limit my choices to only these 2, since I've narrowed it down already. I'd like to get input from anyone who has actually tried both of these, or had problems with one or the other. I don't need advice like "just get Planet Waves---it's cheaper, and no one will notice the difference anyway". I'm only getting one cable, primarily for recording, and don't mind spending an extra $15 or $20. I primarily use Live Wire Elites, but would like something a step up from that in this instance. Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by mflemmer2; 12-13-2015, 01:28 AM.

Re: Mogami Gold or Lava Cable Clear Connect 2?

I have a Clear Connect 2; it is very bright and articulate and I feel it balances well with my darker-toned Divine Noise cables. HOWEVER -- I ended up going through three of them before I had one that lasted; the first two I purchased shorted out within a couple of days. I don't know if it's a quality control issue of if it's because the conductor is so thin, but it was very frustrating. So I would definitely recommend buying from a local, reputable dealer in case you need to exchange it. I got mine from Ludlow Guitars who were fantastic about the replacement cables. I have had no issues since then. I do like the way it colors my tone, though I don't use it much with single coil guitars.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've never tried Clear Connect 2 or Divine Noise, but my favorite cables are ones that I make essentially identical to Mogami Gold. I run about 15' of Mogami 2524 cable and use Neutrik gold-plated connectors; the same components as their gold cables for less than half price (provided that you can solder). Tone-wise I find it to be very clear and neutral sounding; I thought it had the least coloration of all the cables I've tried. It was a definite improvement over hyped / bright Monster cable, and an even bigger improvement over nasal / thin George L's cables.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

TwighlightOdyssey and dystrust, thanks for that useful advice. Actually, I will be getting either brand through a local Guitar Center, but the problems TwighlightOdyssey had concerns me, because I've read other criticisms about their plugs/ends. I was nearly sold on getting the Lava for my longer cable, although I was going to get some 18 inch Mogami Gold patch cords, since GC doesn't stock that length in the Lava CC. TwighlightOdysssey, when you say you don't use them much with single coils, is that because they are TOO bright? Are they tonally neutral, or do they actually add brightness? Although I use a Les Paul and PRS with humbuckers, I also have a (typical arrangement) single coil Strat, and can also split the coils on the PRS. I was also leaning toward the Lava because their capacitance is lower, but maybe a little too low for single coils? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Great question! Definitely not overly bright. I just find that it can accentuate an upper mid spike on my Strat that makes it too spikey for my tastes. The Lava is a very good cable; but super low capacitance cables will be brighter than high capactitance ones. Reliability aside, I am very happy with it. I also LOVE it with synths!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X