Acoustic Simulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Simulator?

I have all electrics and I want an acoustic, trying to hold off for a Taylor 200 series next year. In the meantime , with the acoustic guitar simulators on the market, does anyone suggest one ?

Re: Acoustic Simulator?

The Boss one sounds good enough for the price. However, for the same price, you can get a used acoustic that will work fine for all practical purposes, until you can afford a better one. I've had the same Fender acoustic that I started with and it sounds great to me. Not Taylor or Martin great, but it works well enough and stays in tune.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Good point but many of the lower priced acoustics tend to have higher action than I want that I cannot lower. I played a Taylor 100 and 200 series recently and loved the tone and playability. I'll check out the boss pedal, thanks

Comment

I bought a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal (AC-3) years ago, tried it a while then put it back in the box and it's sat on a shelf untouched for years now. Didn't sound anything like an acoustic guitar IMO.

Comment

Acoustic simulators are usually a heavy EQ and a little reverb. I'd prefer to have those two pedals, since they are capable of so much more.

I also agree with Johnny, my bro got one of those $299 Fender acoustics on sale for $199, I got it playing sweet with a set of light PB strings, and a neck relief setup. If I wanted it lower I could have sanded down the saddle a bit. Again, sounded pretty good and played pretty good. Not Martin D-28 sound and Taylor 700 playability, but for $199 new it was pretty good.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Acoustic simulators are usually a heavy EQ and a little reverb. I'd prefer to have those two pedals, since they are capable of so much more.

I also agree with Johnny, my bro got one of those $299 Fender acoustics on sale for $199, I got it playing sweet with a set of light PB strings, and a neck relief setup. If I wanted it lower I could have sanded down the saddle a bit. Again, sounded pretty good and played pretty good. Not Martin D-28 sound and Taylor 700 playability, but for $199 new it was pretty good.
            Do you remember which Fender acoustic? Or else I'll just look in the $200 range and have a good setup done on it

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
              Do you remember which Fender acoustic? Or else I'll just look in the $200 range and have a good setup done on it
              Just try all the stuff in the $200 range. Fenders and Epiphones can be had for $200 all day long and most of them play well enough.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

IMO piezo pickups are the only way to get even in the same ballpark with an electric. combine that with some sort of acoustic preamp pedal (like the Radial, or the boss acoustic simulator) and you will be much happier.

go see if your store has a MM JP6 hanging up and you'll see what I mean. If you have a strat in your arsenal I'm sure you can find a replacement bridge with them built in.

EDIT: What the purpose? Live? Recording? Just effin around at home? TBH I don't agree with the $200 epi's or Fenders being any good. A $3-400 Godin acoustic is going to give you a solid top and much better tone.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                  I bought a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal (AC-3) years ago, tried it a while then put it back in the box and it's sat on a shelf untouched for years now. Didn't sound anything like an acoustic guitar IMO.
                  Those things are terrible!
                  I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I have a Boss AC-3 that I'll sell you.

$30 plus shipping.
                    -Greg

Guitars:
                    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      IMO piezo pickups are the only way to get even in the same ballpark with an electric. combine that with some sort of acoustic preamp pedal (like the Radial, or the boss acoustic simulator) and you will be much happier.

go see if your store has a MM JP6 hanging up and you'll see what I mean. If you have a strat in your arsenal I'm sure you can find a replacement bridge with them built in.

EDIT: What the purpose? Live? Recording? Just effin around at home? TBH I don't agree with the $200 epi's or Fenders being any good. A $3-400 Godin acoustic is going to give you a solid top and much better tone.
                      My purpose is just to eff around at home. I've bought a few cheap acoustics over the years and was never happy with how they played, or any acoustic did till I played the Taylor. Godin I don't see in any stores- I know of them so I'll hunt them down- thanks

Comment

Acoustic simulators are even less fun than bad acoustics.
                        Why don't you get some cheapie and set up the action until you are happy with how it plays? Bone bridge blanks only cost a couple of bucks and they are easy to shape using 150 grit sandpaper. Most modern steel strings have adjustable truss rods too. Go for some lightish strings like 11-52 and you will be sounding great. Easy squeezy.
                        There are a bunch of really good solid topped axes coming out of china these days for not much coin. Cort and LAG among others play and sound fine. You can probably snag a second hand one from some lazy kid who never practiced for lots less. Its also worth bearing in mind that no acoustic (not even a martin d28 or the top of the line from taylor) will play the way you are used to your electric. That is a good thing, once you get used to having to use a little muscle and extra callus you will develop new ways of phrasing and creating timbres and textures. You don't need a super axe for that, certainly in the short to medium term and you will learn how to get the best out of the wooden box before you spend big bucks on something really special.
                        The other benefit is that after playing you acoustic for a few months, when you grab your electric you will feel like you have been on steroids.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-15-2015, 04:15 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Acoustic sims are weak overall. You CAN find a decent cheap/used acoustic - you are just too lazy to look!!!!!!!!

That said - My roland cuber, with a SuperDistortion loaded Les Paul….who knew?!?!?!? SuperD….seriously.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Acoustic simulators suck, straight up. To get them to sound half decent you can't use them with a regular guitar amp (my best results were with a keyboard amp) and you need an electric that already sounds very acoustic. Plus you still can't dig in and hit the strings the way you would on a real acoustic. I'd rather play a beat to **** pawn shop special than spend much time with an acoustic simulator. . . Which is why I traded the Boss AC-2 for an acoustic.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I heard Daughtry using a Semi Hollow and one that sounded pretty good. Probably a Roland Midi based modeler….
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X